• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I have some neighbors dogs that keep coming onto my hunting property when I am not there. Besides shooting them, what are some suggestions to keep them off. It has a field fence that I am going to be repairing but I was thinking can I electrify it or use a chicken electric fence on the perimeter of the property? I want to keep wildlife coming so i am not sure about sprays and such.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    Yep, he says he is going to "get rid of them" but hasn't yet. One is a female with pups so as I said, I really don't want to shoot them but between wildlife and my kids, might not have a choice.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Other than just roaming around, trespassing and annoying you is there something on your property that might be attracting the dogs? Dead critter, source of water or something you could remove and eliminate the dogs desire to trespass?

I have some neighbors dogs that keep coming onto my hunting property when I am not there.

Are you sure they are dogs?

max-the-dog.jpg

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    No nothing to attract them. I have had them in trail cams and have had them come on property while there. I have fired warning shots to scare them off. First thing I will try is fence and see if there is some sort of spray. If that doesn’t work, step up to possible permanent deterrent

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I think trying to shore up the fence is probably the best thing to try first. If there's only a few places where the dogs can get across, you could fix those and maybe fix the problem.

I had what I thought was a great place to hunt a few years back, and one of the reasons I gave it up was because of several neighbor's dogs that would always be roaming around there. It wasn't my property and I knew the owner wouldn't want to make waves with the neighbors, so I just stopped hunting there.

Nothing like sitting in a good spot, right after the sun comes up, hearing something walking towards you, and just when you're getting your gun raised up, you see that it's a Golden Retriever sauntering down the trail on his morning walk.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    If you love your dog, keep it home.

I spend time, $, and lots of effort to provide habitat that deer like. Having the neighbors dog visit while I'm hunting will get the neighbor one phone call with a description of the problem and the likely outcome if it is not rectified. Usually works if they like the dog.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Inform the local authorities. Maybe a visit from an officer will put them in line, and if not, have the local dog catcher come out and remove them.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Inform the local authorities. Maybe a visit from an officer will put them in line, and if not, have the local dog catcher come out and remove them.

Why inform the authorities? It's a dog running loose on your property.
    You've already talked to the neighbors about this problem.
    I know that it's just a dog being a dog. Sorry for the dog.
    Some people aren't proper dog owners.
    You've followed proper informative steps.
    Do what's necessary and STFU.
    I know you Rocdenindy and you're a good person, good father and family man.
    What ever your decisions and actions are I will support your decisions and actions.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    We already know the neighbor is unreasonable because he is not properly controlling his dog. Unless he's a babbling idiot, if the dog goes missing he will surely consider you as being involved. How far do you want this to go?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We already know the neighbor is unreasonable because he is not properly controlling his dog. Unless he's a babbling idiot, if the dog goes missing he will surely consider you as being involved. How far do you want this to go?

I get the feeling from post #3 that the neighbor would consider his problem solved if the dog came up missing.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage

Exactly, contact the authorities. That way you have documentation if it escalates.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    FYI...I believe it’s a felony in Indiana to shoot a dog.

It's actually true (it applies to cats, too). IC 35-46-3-12.

However, "protection of property from substantial damage" is a suitable defense.

...and don't have sex with it; that's a felony, too IC 35-46-3-14.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It's actually true (it applies to cats, too). IC 35-46-3-12.

However, "protection of property from substantial damage" is a suitable defense.

...and don't have sex with it; that's a felony, too IC 35-46-3-14.

) As used in this subsection, “domestic animal” means an animal that is not wild.  The term is limited to:

Top Bottom