• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a Glock 43 that I've put a few hundred rounds of FMJ through with no issues. Today I tried HP ammo for the first time (Federal Hydrashock). The first round of a full mag kept getting stuck on the feed ramp when I racked the slide. Another yank on the slide fixed it every time. It happened most of the time in 2 boxes (40 rounds). It also happened once during actual firing - again yanking on the slide did the trick. But I'm shocked. I thought Glocks were supposed to be great for HP ammunition. Is this normal? I was pretty surprised to see that the feed ramp is practically vertical so I presume that has something to do with it. Also, I've never really paid any attention to the feed ramp when cleaning the gun. Do you have to do that a lot to get HPs to cycle? Thanks!

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So it only happened when hand racking the first round from a fresh mag?

Were you riding the slide? Does it happen if you use the slide stop to release the slide?
    Using an overhand grip when racking or pinching fingers on rear of slide?
    Are you pulling it back and completely releasing it?

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I've run Remington Golden Saber and Speer Gold Dot through my G43 without issues. Not sure why hydrashock would be any different. Try shooting with different loads and see if it's a problem specific to hydrashock or HPs in general.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    So it only happened when hand racking the first round from a fresh mag?

Yes, except one time that it happened during actual cycling.

We're you riding the slide? Does it happen if you use the slide stop to release the slide?

No to the first one. To the second one - I didn't try it because I find it almost impossible to release the slide that way, but it definitely would have been the same.

Using an overhand grip when racking or pinching fingers onbrear of slide?

I always grip the slide between my thumb and the middle of my first finger. So my hand is behind the slide, never over it.

Are you pulling it back and completely releasing it?

Yep I never do it any other way. I always pull back until I feel the stop and then keep pulling my hand away to the rear.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :popcorn:

How heavy of a hydrashok are you using?

Haven't had any issues with 147gr HST's. You are making me think I need to run some more though.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    :popcorn:

How heavy of a hydrashok are you using?

Haven't had any issues with 147gr HST's. You are making me think I need to run some more though.

I'm pretty sure it was the 124gr. But I don't remember for sure. Just checked the receipt and it doesn't specify unfortunately :(

Would that make a difference though?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've owned and shot Glocks for 25 years. The G42 & G43 are the first I've ever had which experienced any issues with feeding. With both of these, when loading I've found that using the slide stop to release the slide rather than pulling the slide to the rear and letting it go provides a more consistent and trouble free chambering. The troubles are infrequent enough that I still reload as I always have (by pulling the slide to the rear and releasing) but when I am loading the gun initially I use the slide stop. If the problem occurs during a reload a quick tap rack usually chambers the round like you have described. The more rounds I get through the guns the more infrequently it seems to happen.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've shot a lot of 140gr FP custom cast boolits this year in competition this summer. Never an issue. The same with the 50ish rounds of 147gr HST's initially. Again, makes me wonder if re-exploring the SD loads isn't in order?

G43 in pocket holster right now, loaded with HST's.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I don't have a lot of direct experience with the Glock 43 but I have seen more then few hiccup. I experience similar issues with my Walther PPS. I also have quite a bit of experience with subcompact 9mm handguns. Particular Hollow Points that have a long overall length can sometimes prove problematic in guns with either tight chambers or short slides. If your Glock doesn't like HydroShok try another brand or type of ammunition. Generally speaking as handguns get smaller they have a tendency to develop quirks. That is why people should always test the loads they intend to carry in the gun.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    With both of these, when loading I've found that using the slide stop to release the slide rather than pulling the slide to the rear and letting it go provides a more consistent and trouble free chambering.

Agreed, and this is where I was going with my questions, based on my (much lesser than yours) experience with the 43 as well. I also actually had something similar happen recently in a 19 with a brand new MagPul magazine (I had bought one to test out), that had similar things going on with the first round during the first few cycles through the mag. Hand racking the slide would hang up on the first round, while using the slide stop to release the slide alleviated the issue. I suspect that will go away as that mag gets broken in. I've never experienced this with an OEM Glock mag on a 19 before.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I use Federal HST 124gr (standard or +P) in my G43 without issue. However, the 147gr HST's initially had enough hangups that I haven't tried them again. From other's reports, maybe I should give them another go now that the pistol has had a fair amount of use.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I didn't see it mentioned above but have you tried other magazines ? Also if they were 147 grain try some 124's. They are usually little shorter and may feed better.

I only tried one magazine, which is one of the 2 that came with the gun. I'd say the gun has seen maybe 2-300 rounds, probably half of that through each magazine.

I think they were 124s. I didn't realize there was a length difference.

Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I have had similar problems on my smaller handguns with steeper feed ramps. I agree with what was mentioned above the you might try Remington Golden Saber HP. They have a very round bullet profile for a HP bullet. When I had problems with the first round loading it was typically with a relative flat nose type HP against a steep feed ramp. The round profile of the golden saber (similar to FMJ) seemed to make enough difference to cure the problem. Good luck

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    I'll try some other brands. I found some Winchester white box 147gr JHPs and tried to reproduce the problem with those. I can't...they feed every time either by racking the slide or pressing the slide release. Still, no matter what happens now it's a big concern.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    It happened again...this time with a pic!

I tried loading the Win white box FMJs I had a few more times, and I was able to get it to happen once, so I snapped a pic in case anyone can spot anything that would give us a hint...

20171018_173553.jpg

Edit...I also just noticed something weird: both magazines have a little dip gouged into the follower. I never noticed this before. Neither mag has more than a couple of hundred rounds through it. I tried to get some closeups that show what I'm seeing. You can feel these with a fingernail or with the rim of a cartridge. Could this be the problem?

20171018_181232.jpg

20171018_181419.jpg

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'd (****ing auto correct) try the other mag, I've got about 1500 through my 43, 300 being a mix of Hornady CD135+P and Speer GD 124+P Short barrel, and have had 0 failures of any kind. My wife, who limp wrists her 19 hasn't had any problems with the 43 either?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I tried loading the Win white box FMJs I had a few more times, and I was able to get it to happen once, so I snapped a pic in case anyone can spot anything that would give us a hint...

View attachment 60030

Edit...I also just noticed something weird: both magazines have a little dip gouged into the follower. I never noticed this before. Neither mag has more than a couple of hundred rounds through it. I tried to get some closeups that show what I'm seeing. You can feel these with a fingernail or with the rim of a cartridge. Could this be the problem?

View attachment 60031

View attachment 60032
    Yes that could definitely be your problem! Did you buy the pistol new or used?

Top Bottom