Mandatory safety equipement in your vehicle in Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Just a quick question for my Hoosier friends (the non-friendly part of INGO can answer as well ;)).

Is there any mandatory accessories you need to have in your vehicle in the state of Indiana?

I'm cleaning the car and making sure all the EU mandatory things are in the vehicle.

Most cars come with those things over here.Reflective vest and triangle, first aid kit.

renault-accessoires-00093294.jpg.ximg.l_full_m.smart.jpg

It's also mandatory to have a breathalizer which I don't have and don't plan on having.
    You can't get a ticket for not having one anyway.

Le_Ballon.jpg

If you're wondering if you're too drunk too drive you're probably too drunk to drive. :rolleyes:

You can whoever get a ticket for not having your reflective vest or triangle (up to $440!) and not using them if you're involved in a car accident. :nuts:

Some other EU countries require more things.Like having a reflective vest for each passenger (in Spain) or having a fire extinguisher (like in Belgium).

So is there any mandatory safety gear in Indiana? Or at the federal level?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's a difference...

The EU takes driving seriously, we think of cars as mobile phone booths and lunch counters.

budm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    Indianapolis
    wow, we don't require any of that in our cars. Heck even some of my drivers at work don't even carry anything like that if they break down.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is there any mandatory accessories you need to have in your vehicle in the state of Indiana?

No statute on this issue.

Individual driver decides.

So is there any mandatory safety gear in Indiana? Or at the federal level?

There are CFRs as to auto safety in manufacturing, but no state or federal regulations as to required safety gear.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    if you drive on hoosier roads long enough, you'll realize common sense and brains aren't mandatory let alone any of the items you've listed

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Actually those things are not required by EU law, just individual countries. Some EU countries don't require any of that stuff.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Heck, if it is old enough you don't even need safety equipment. My old ford didn't have seat belts and still doesn't require them. However, I don't like getting tossed through windows so I added them after the fact.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    There's a difference...

The EU takes driving seriously, we think of cars as mobile phone booths and lunch counters.

From what I've seen it's harder to even get your driver's licence in most EU countries than it is in the US.
    You have to go thru at least 25 hours of professional driving lessons to get your licence.
    I probably had closer to 50 hours (gotta learn to master those roundabouts).
    If you're a professional driver you're also required to get first aid traning and carry additional gear like a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit (taxi and such).
    I think a first aid class is required in Germany for all drivers.

Speaking of mobile phone booth it's illegal to drive and be on the phone at the same time.
    Many people get pulled over because they are caught driving while talking on the phone.
    Smoking or eating (or using your GPS) is also illegal for the driver as both hands need to be free at all time for emergency maneuvers.
    Most cars are manual transmissions anyway so you need both hands free to drive.
    With enough experience you can shift gears and hold your drink/sandwich with the same hands ... :):
    I even saw people driving with just their knees while rolling cigarettes with both hands ... :n00b:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Actually those things are not required by EU law, just individual countries. Some EU countries don't require any of that stuff.

That's true but more EU countries tend to require the same things.
    Some stores sale "EU safety packs" with all the gears mandatory in all the EU.
    Some cars sold in different EU countries also come with the full "EU kit" that includes a fire extinguisher and all the things mandatory in the EU state that require the most things.

aa-travel-kit.jpg

In addition to that I have a towing rope, jumper cables, a few tools, extra light bulbs and whatnot.
    Probably what everybody has in their car, minus the snow shovel that is not needed over here.

Top Bottom