• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Been wanting a delta elite for a while to add to the stable, but smatterings of "don't use full power loads in a Delta" abound.

What could be done to the Delta to make it magnum capable?

Start with a new model Delta?
    Ramped & supported barrel?
    Comp?
    Recoil reducing spring assembly?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think that the newer Delta's are better than the older ones. I've run Underwood ammo through mine and did not see any overt signs of case bulge, but while Underwood is stout, it's not nuclear level stuff like CM shoots. I've toyed with having a ramped barrel fit to mine, but a very respected gunsmith I had asked about doing it recommended against it unless there's evidence that it's needed. Delta's already run dual recoil springs that are pretty heavy. Much heavier than anything I've encountered in another 1911, so I don't know if there's much to be gained there. One thing I did to mine was to install an EGW flat bottom firing pin stop and that helped soften the feel of the gun. The flat FPS moves the pinion point of the hammer and FPS lower so that the FPS has less authority over the hammer and mainspring.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    This is what you want if you want to shoot "nuclear" loads out of the Delta, these barrels can handle some really really hot loads.

Barrel, Pre-Fit Kit, Ramped ? Nowlin Arms Manufacturer Professional Shooters Barrels 1911 Pistol Parts

I'm not so sure the barrel is what I'd be concerned about with running nuclear on a 1911.

Delaying opening of the action would be my first and primary concern to prevent slide cracking. As mentioned before a flat FPS would help. A compensated barrel would help considerably as well, you want upward facing ports only. That'll keep the locking lugs mashed into the slide for fractions of a second longer. It's the only reason 460 rowland 1911s don't disassemble themselves. A good compensated barrel along with recoil springs north of 25 pounds should prevent any unintentional disassembly.

Top Bottom