• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm beginning to look for a 6'x12' enclosed trailer. It'll haul a Polaris Ranger EV (1350lbs) on occasion, my wife will use it for a business trip or two a year and it will double as a closet/dressing room with an ozone generator while we're hunting. I know less than squat about trailers, figured we've probably got a few knowledgeable members and perhaps one or two in the business. The only criteria I've got is that it has a regular door on the side so we don't have to open the big rear doors to get in there to get dressed.

Are there brands/designs to stay away from? I'm seeing several slightly different versions on Craigslist in the $2000 - $2500 range and some up to $3500+, not sure what the differences are.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    You will need extra height for a Ranger as the cage is tall.

5,200 axle would be a nice upgrade.

I prefer seem less side panels as the screws rust and leave streaks down the sides.

I would go see Swartz trailer in Noblesville, they are not very customer friendly and their prices are not the best but they do build the best trailers.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    SMiller is right on track the ranger is too tall for a typical enclosed trailer. With a ramp door the opening is cut down to allow for the roll up hardware. You will have to buy a extra height trailer. Trailers are like gun safes buy the biggest one you can afford. You will fill it up in no time. I would buy a tandem axle with brakes on both axles. Depending on your tow vehicle the brakes on the trailer are way cheaper and easier to fix than overheating your vehicles brakes. I own several trailers and 12 Foot extra height are hard to find on the used market and new they are a bit pricey. I've ran several want to buy trailer ads with no luck and search craigslist and Facebook classifieds daily. You can usually buy a 14 foot for almost the same money. Maybe $200 more.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would steer clear of the trailers you see on EBAY that you pick up in Georgia. If you have an issue you have to bring them back, drop them off, and pick up 30 days later. They typically are not made of the same quality materials that trailers in this area are made of.

I can put my teryx in my enclosed trailer, but I added 2' of height to it. I would be shocked if you find a trailer used that will fit your RZR. You will have to order it more than likely.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    If there is a location anywhere other than Elkhart County with more cargo trailer manufacturers, it is unknown to me and if I were to physically look for a diverse selection, that's the best place to start.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    My two recommendations; #1 crawl under the trailer and look how much metal bracing is there - as you will see a big difference between trailer manufacturers, #2 find a set of "G" rated tires and never worry about a blow out (have you noticed how MANY trailers you see along the road with blown tires). The traoler manufacturers usually put the cheapest and lowest range load tires on their trailers that they can get away with using.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    My two recommendations; #1 crawl under the trailer and look how much metal bracing is there - as you will see a big difference between trailer manufacturers, #2 find a set of "G" rated tires and never worry about a blow out (have you noticed how MANY trailers you see along the road with blown tires). The traoler manufacturers usually put the cheapest and lowest range load tires on their trailers that they can get away with using.

They make G range 15in. tires? That would be like riding on concrete tires...

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I don't know about g rated, but I definitely stay away from bias ply. I like 50lb tires myself...whatever rating that is.

I also like grease zerks on the hubs.
    And definitely get a spare tire. Why that's an option and not included is beyond rational thought.

woody131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Morgantown
    They make G range 15in. tires? That would be like riding on concrete tires...
    Definitely buy something with 15 inch wheels. The 14 inch rims have barely a C load rating.
    The highest rated tire I could find in a 205/75/15 is a D. You have to go up to a 215 to get a E and that's a big tire for trailer with 3500 pound axles. I've seen people do it but oversized tires will sometimes rub the fenders when the trailer is loaded.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I am thinking you have a 1500 Ram truck, I would recommend a V-nose enclosed as when you are going down the highway it will pull so much easier and will pay for itself in fuel usage.

You can get a 5,200lbs axle with brakes on a single axle trailer, well worth the $$$.

jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    I purchased a 7x18 with 7 foot interior height a couple of months ago from Jason Dietsch trailer sales in Edgerton Ohio. This was to replace a 7x16 that I have owned for 16 years. I did a LOT of online looking and visited a few dealers in the area, Dietsch was by far the best to deal with and had the largest selection for what I was looking for. I understand they are probably not local to you but it might be worth looking at their website to see what they have. They sell trailers to people all over the country.........they must be doing something right!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I wish I had "a guy" I could refer to you, but I bought my trailer 5 years ago from Camping world, and had no complaints, but last year the camping world CEO made it clear that he does not want Trump supporter's business, so I know where I will not be going for my next.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I have a 16' United with seamless sides. I will never have seamless sides again. Mine came apart in about 3 months, had to haul to dealer, dealer had to haul to manufacturer. Waited about 2 weeks for factory to fix, then had to go to dealer to pick it up. 1 year later the seams that were not re-glued were coming apart. I fixed it myself with silicone sealer and stainless steel screws. Just get screwed sides and demand SS screws. Brakes on all axles, high quality LED lights, interior LED lights. Look closely at the tongue length on any vee nose, mine is to short to allow the tailgate and topper door to open without hitting the jackstand (finger masher too).

Top Bottom