• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    While the wife and I were at Highsmith Gun Shop (Greenfield) on Sunday ordering her Witness Pavona, I picked up a Taurus Tracker in 22WMR. I’ve wanted a revolver for awhile but I haven’t been able to find one that felt comfortable in my hands and had a 6”+ barrel. Most had odd pressure point on my palms that I just didn’t like. So I found this Taurus and it’s comfortable, the “Ribber” grips are squishy and compress to the shape of my hand instead of my hand. I’ve watched Dirty Harry a few too many times and have just wanted a long barrel revolver. The snubbies and 4” barrels just don’t call to me the same way.

The price was right and it went home with me, I’ll get pictures of it tonight. In the meantime, according to the box it’s a model 971 and I can find it on the Taurus website. But what I can’t find any are reviews or mentions of this model in a 22 Magnum. I can find information on the 941 and the 990/991/992 models, but not the 971.

TRACKER MODEL 971 .22 MAG. REVOLVER

I ran a box of 50 through it on Tuesday and had a blast! The weight kills any recoil that did exist and it creates a nice fireball out of the barrel. It’s like having a revolver version of the 22TCM, which I also greatly enjoy. The “Ribber” grips feel great as well. Accuracy seems to be great, but I’m not the most accurate person still and I wasn’t trying for groups either. This one will be a keeper I think. I orinally was writing to find a .357 to go with my Henry, but I may just buy a 22WMR Henry to make my “set”.

If anyone else has any experience with the model 971, I would love to hear about it as I just can’t find much out there about it.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Believe the only difference between your 971 and my .22 970 is the cylinder bore and "TRACKER" etched on the barrel. Plenty of reviews for the 970 on the web. Had mine since 07 and probably haven't put many more rounds thru it than you have yours. It feels good in my smaller palms and balances well. The trigger pull won't win any awards, yet after ten years and little use I'm still not ready to depart with mine, so it must be a keeper.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks! I’ll look into the 970s and see what I can dig up.

As a very rough guess, I would say that neither the DA or the SA on the Tracker is noticeably different to me than my Witness trigger. Smooth forBoth modes, with the SA maybe being in the 4lb range. I should pick up a trigger pull.

Top Bottom