• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    To make a long story short, I've recently acquired a Marlin 336. It's a 1979 with the JM stamped barrel. I've seen both ways whether this should have a higher collector value or not, but I won't get into that.

I've been wanting one of these for a very long time, with the vision of putting black synthetic stocks on it, and cerakoting the rest some color I have yet to determine.

However, as stated above, I do have some small concern about the collector value of it.

The barrel and receiver now are blued. If I were to cerakote them, at some point, could I change it back? Yes I have access to all the equipment, but is it possible to do? My concern is that in taking the cerakote off, you rough metal up enough to where it couldn't be blued...

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm not familiar with Cerakote but if it's an organic coating it should respond to things like methylene chloride. I've not seen anything that won't come off steel with an overnight soak in that.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    My personal opinion is that, you should NOT Cerakote that rifle. If the blueing is in decent shape at all, it can be re-blued to make it look all original (metal). Or, you can also accomplish a 'custom' look with certain rust blueing.

Not selling anything, but feel free to view my photo gallery.... to get an idea of just how many finishes can be accomplished, with the proper metal prep and various (hot or cold) blueing techniques.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4933

Last edited:

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    You'll have a hard time reblueing in the future if you cerakote. Cerakote required a sand blasted surface to apply and it will require sand blasting again to remove later. A sand blasted surface will look like **** blued

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    My personal opinion is that, you should NOT Cerakote that rifle. If the blueing is in decent shape at all, it can be re-blued to make it look all original (metal). Or, you can also accomplish a 'custom' look with certain rust blueing.

Not selling anything, but feel free to view my photo gallery.... to get an idea of just how many finishes can be accomplished, with the proper metal prep and various (hot or cold) blueing techniques.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=4933

Those look great, but how do they hold up to rain? I've watched blued barrels start to rust just sitting in my stand.

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    You'll have a hard time reblueing in the future if you cerakote. Cerakote required a sand blasted surface to apply and it will require sand blasting again to remove later. A sand blasted surface will look like **** blued

Welp, I've done a ton of research and I think you're right, there's no easily purchased chemical that can remove cerakote. It will have to be blasted and like you said above, look like **** if you blast then try to blue.
    Interesting dilemma.

indynotch50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Ok I reread and I think I understand. Yeah, I wouldn't do anything to devalue the gun

But if I have no intention at all about selling... Also, I don't think the value of one is that high in the first place.
    I appreciate the response and the help. I'm going to sit on it for a bit and not act too quickly.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg

Not if it's polished back up.

It's not impossible. Just won't be cheap. And either way, bluing, or cerakoting, you're lowering the value of the firearm.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Those look great, but how do they hold up to rain? I've watched blued barrels start to rust just sitting in my stand.
    Those in my photo gallery actually hold up exceedingly well, mainly because they are hand-cured with a hot oil solution 24 hours after the blueing process is completed.... and before final buffing.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Theoretically higher value....but it may take a time. The thing about 336s in 30-30....are that they made a sh** ton of them.

I paid $330 for mine, off of gunbroker, to refinish the stock and have it threaded for a can.

If it was a pistol caliber or something odd, I'd reconsider, but there's a ton of 30-30s out there so whatever you do it to you'll loose money, just cause of whatever process you're going to it. Just do what makes the rifle look best to you

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford
    Not if it's polished back up.

It's not impossible. Just won't be cheap. And either way, bluing, or cerakoting, you're lowering the value of the firearm.

I agree if it's polished well it would look pretty good after bluing. At one point I was considering gunsmithing school. A gunsmith in the area was kind enough to let me come into his shop and work just for the experience. I spent a great deal of time polishing an old 1911 in rough condition I had. Hours and hour to get it right. He then blued it for me when he was doing some other guns so he didn't have to heat up equipment just for one handgun. That made the bluing process for him just a matter of dipping the gun in different tanks and was quick. Maybe if you decide to reblue you could find a gunsmith willing to do it pretty cheap if you did all the prep and were willing to wait until he had other guns to do.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If the 1979 marlin is a RC (regular carbine) or one of the mass produced Glenfield models there will be very limited collector value overall in the future. The largest increase in price has already happened with them. The one piece it has is that should be a pre safety model which some hunters like over the S or safety versions of the 336. As stated above there were tons produced. Like saying a Remington 870 will be a collector item just because it is a wing master version: sure they are both great guns just far to many in the world to hold any real collector value.

If that rifle is a straight stock model (ie Texan or TK30) then just pm me we can work something out for a shooter 336. If it is a 336 SC sporting carbine (don’t think they offered them in 1979) I would not do anything with that model to spoil the value. Most likely it is just an RC.

In that case do whatever so called upgrades you wish. Tactical it up whatever. They are the redneck version of the ar/ak rifle and I am sure some warehouse in the USA is stocked up with 30-30 ammo in case China invaded the USA at some time. They will just air drop the ammo into the rual areas in the USA. There is a 33630-30 in a ton of closets in the USA

Top Bottom