• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    So I've built my first ar and I loved the overall process. It took me some time only buying a couple parts at a time, but I am very happy with the finished product. That being said I was wondering what other firearms are out there that can be built from home without expensive equipment. I know there are several different types of ar's that can be built with a plethora of uses, but I was just wondering what kind of options are out there.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Buy a pre-bent and hardened blank, driss holes and set rivets, OR buy a 100% receiver and set rivets, then put in barrel, etc.

I'm not gonna lie, my first AK was built from a flat, that I bent with a hammer... populated the barrel with threaded rod and pipe pieces, headspaced with the 'tape trick' on a live round. I wouldn't recommend that approach now

poweraddict

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    Greenfield
    Has anyone tackled a Remington 700 build? How would that compare in difficulty to the 1911 or the AK. I also would like a 10/22 one day, but I truly don't know how custom I would care to make it. I know there is a lot out there for the 10/22's but I kind of like the way they are stock. That statement may change when I get one, but I remember looking at the archangel stocks for them when Gander was closing and I couldn't bring myself to buy one for $50 because it just didn't seem as appealing in person.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Has anyone tackled a Remington 700 build? How would that compare in difficulty to the 1911 or the AK. I also would like a 10/22 one day, but I truly don't know how custom I would care to make it. I know there is a lot out there for the 10/22's but I kind of like the way they are stock. That statement may change when I get one, but I remember looking at the archangel stocks for them when Gander was closing and I couldn't bring myself to buy one for $50 because it just didn't seem as appealing in person.

A 700 is much harder then an AR and requires expensive tooling and know how to do a nice build. A Savage on the other hand is much easier
    to build and get good results.
    Mostly due to how the barrel is installed

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    For Gocks there are 80% frames and slides avalible at Brownells for a custom build.

I was going to mention 1911's as well...also from brownells.

There are several companies that offer parts for a Ruger 22 rifle OR pistol build.

AK's are an option as well.

I did not realize that a Remington 700 bolt gun was more difficult to build than a Savage. Thats good to know.

I know there are some more eclectic builds out there that dont take much tooling. Forgotten Wepons or InRange TV on YouTube has a couple I think. But I am not intimattly familuar with those.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I rebuild some guns, fitting and assembly, really just a matter of hunting up the old parts, or making them in a pinch.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I've never thought about building something other than an AR. Building a 1911 sounds fun...

it isn't practical unless you buy a kit with pre fit slide, frame and barrel or have a mill..

I guess you could do all "drop in" parts but 1911 vs AR15 is apples and oranges

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    I've never thought about building something other than an AR. Building a 1911 sounds fun...
    I bought a stainless steel pre-production frame and slide from PSA. I purchased top of the line parts from several manufactures and overall shipping cost were high. The minor fitting required on the barrel, grip safety and safety was done with files. I ended up with a very nice 1911 that cost twice as much as the current complete stainless premium PSA 1911 that is on sale today. I did get the luck of the draw checkered front strap. I am happy with the build but it could have been much cheaper to build if I would have purchased all the parts from one location.

Buzz Saw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Southeast IN
    Did a FAL years ago when the parts kits were cheap an plentiful. G1 parts kit on an Imbel gear logo receiver. At the same time a friend did a STG58. Somewhat more involved than an AR, as headspace adjusts with a selective fit locking shoulder. We split the cost of the tooling, both guns turned out very nice. At the time I planned on doing another or two, waited too long and the parts dried up. The parts kits were so plentiful when we built ours that I just thought they always be around-should have bought a pallet load when I had the chance....:(

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I am building up a 9mm carbine, I have a lathe and mill, I am modifying a bolt , and reusing a 9mm barrel....I need to get back on the project.....

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    10/22s are the Legos of the gun world. You can start with a stock receiver and replace virtually every other part with an after-market piece. Back when you could buy a plain Jane carbine for $139, I had a dozen of them none of which had the factory stock or barrel. All of them had trigger mods. I'm down to around half that now in 4 different calibers plus a Charger in .17 HM2.

daventos

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 23, 2017
    Bedford

I traded for a used 10/22 with an archangel stock. It's comfortable to shoot and I think it looks pretty good but it's a PITA to disassemble compared to other 10/22s.

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    There are so many out there to build. I've done AR's and AK's. The new glock kits intrigue me but I've got several kits still on the shelf. Here's just a few that would be cool.
    AK
    Rpd
    UZI
    Glock
    10/22
    KGKT
    Sten
    Bren
    And the list goes on

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    There are so many out there to build. I've done AR's and AK's. The new glock kits intrigue me but I've got several kits still on the shelf. Here's just a few that would be cool.
    AK
    Rpd
    UZI
    Glock
    10/22
    KGKT
    Sten
    Bren
    And the list goes on

Oh yeah. The Sten. I have a buddy who has built 2 of them, a pistol and a carbine.

Top Bottom