• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I used it once to clean up some really bad gun parts, it removed everything including the bluing.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I know I wouldn't do it. Wouldn't want some bloke touching my piece nor do I like the idea of the ultrasonic cleaning.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Paid for ultrasonic cleaning on an old shotgun I received from my grandfather. My FFL offers it as a service. It worked well on the old shotgun that was filthy although I am sure he had to use some effort the old fashioned way after the gunk was loosened by the ultrasonic cleaning. That's the only time I have used it since I do regular cleanings on my firearms and they don't get dirty enough for me to feel the ultrasonic is worth the money.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I have an ultrasonic cleaner and absolutely love it. For cleaning evil, black guns, and suppressors, it's a big, time saver. Perfect for a Glock slide, but I wouldn't throw a Colt Python in there.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Prior to my retirement I used ultrasonic cleaners for many cleaning tasks not related to firearms. However comparing ultrasonic cleaning to conventional cleaning is like asking if a dishwasher is better than manual cleaning. The reason is that many different soaps and or cleaners and additives can be added to a dishwasher, just as many types of solvents and even abrasives can be used in an ultrasonic tank. Ultrasonic cleaning is great for cleaning assemblies like a modular trigger assembly, complete bolt assembly etc. as it works by producing very tiny bubbles in the cleaning solution by very rapid vibration. These "bubbles" reach hidden areas and loosen derbies and in conjunction with the solvents remove that contamination .

I personally don't see much advantage to using it to clean the bore of a barrel or other readily accessed surfaces. Dependent on the cleaning solution used the cleaning can be safe or can be one that damages a surface IE: if an abrasive is added to the solution it can remove material, bluing, erode material edges etc. It works great for cleaning used brass, as it will clean areas not easily accessible by manual methods or tumbling or even vibratory cleaning..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom