• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Was getting it done, in the squirrel woods this morning, with traditional black powder gear. Rifle is a .36 caliber flintlock that I built about 6 years ago.
    I think that
    FB_IMG_1508624524209_zpsznnsjot3.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG] Fox squirrel will make the Boone & Crockett record book. Lol

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Looks like the beginnings of a fine meal right there, and good job on the rifle. It looks as good as it shoots.

Last edited:

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Congrats - that fox squirrel is huge. Took my sons to their 4-H Fall Shoot and one of their disciplines is Muzzle Loaders (Blasting Pumpkins and Eggs today). There was nice older gentleman there that had a .36 cal muzzle loader that he uses for squirrel hunting. Nice to see people from all across the state still keeping the muzzle loaders going. Good job. :yesway:

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Walt O,
    I did not inlet a vent pick on the rifle. I like to carry mine on my shot pouch strap.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Good lord, that's a beauty. Mike Miller had one last year, in the spring, that the purchaser had backed out on. That thing haunts me.

I'm pretty sure I need a .36. AFTER I get my .45. But gorgeous SMRs in .36 keep popping up.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Beautiful rifle. I've been deer hunting for over 27 years with muzzloaders but I've never gone squirrel hunting with one. Need to get something similar to your set up.....maybe your post will be the inspiration I need.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Dnurk,
    I grew up squirrel hunting. My grandfather took me out and I shot my first squirrel at 12. I always enjoyed it but I got away from it for several years. Building this .36 caliber flintlock renewed my love for squirrel hunting.
    I love deer hunting but it seems like work anymore with hunting ground getting harder to access every year, the current state of our deer herd, the apparent lack of concern by our DNR and other legislatures.
    Many people are less reluctant to let someone on their property to hunt lowly squirrels, let alone with black powder equipment.

Last edited:

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I can absolutely see the appeal in using primitive weapons on game. Going back to longbow and recurves and putting the compound in the back of he closet has renewed my love for archery.

Do you find it difficult to hit them with the ignition delay of a flintlock? Or is that something you just have to practice with and get used to?

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    dnurk,
    With a quality lock, well tuned and a proper build. (Touch hole location in relation to the lock pan, etcetera) the ignition is mere fractions of a second.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Thanks for sharing. That is a absolute beautiful rifle. I just recently got into flintlock. I recently bought a custom .32 cal flinter built by John D.Hood of Cass county Indiana. Flint locks are a real joy to shoot and hunting with one just gives one a certain satisfaction. Thanks again.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Nice firearm! Last year I helped a friend assemble a flintlock kit ~ bigger bore, can't remember if it was a 45 or 50. Turned out ok, and I was very surprised how reliable it was. We took it to a friends range and shot it about 5-10 times. Not one misfire. It however was a "dry" day. Unsure how it would handle damp or rainy days..

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    dnurk,
    With a quality lock, well tuned and a proper build. (Touch hole location in relation to the lock pan, etcetera) the ignition is mere fractions of a second.

My tuned flintlocks always shot as fast as my percussion...So much so I went totally flintlock....Here a shot of me taken last Saturday at a Veterans Celebration with my G L Jones in .50......

23319298_1720435118007903_5343348936443466760_n.jpg

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Great picture Indiucky.

Ive always shot percussion or inlines so I will have to continue my research on flintlocks. Just starting to look around at where to get one.

Top Bottom