LEO Question on driving thru a parking lot......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I was just curious of something. As some of you may know the roads are closed near the Hendricks County fairgrounds. The fairgrounds has signs up that say no thru traffic so that people don't cut thru the lot and instead drive 4-5 miles out of the way to get to homes that are North of fairgrounds. At the same time, the fairground put up signs at Wal-Mart entrance directing people to the fairgrounds by way of Wal-Mart entrance and bypass road. Well last night I finally got pulled over for cutting thru the fair parking lot. The Sheriff who pulled me over was beyond fair and very professional, didn't even run my license and I was very respectful and didn't bring this up to him because I didn't want to sound rude or like I was not appreciative of him doing his job....heck, he didn't even say nothing to me for not wearing my seat belt.

Now for my question. When I look at the tax records for the fairground it is clear it is county property, which to me means we the people own it. What exactly would they write a ticket for in this case?

Not trying to start a pissing contest, but this just don't appear to be something the law can enforce in a court. And how is it the county property can not be a thru bypass but the Wal-Mart lot is ok for the fairgrounds to direct people thru?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm confused. If you're saying the people own it, since the county owns it, wouldn't your logic also apply to all public streets... meaning that traffic laws on them are also unenforceable? See what I'm getting at? I think you'd have a better argument if the parking lot was private property. For instance, in many cases stop signs in parking lots at places like Wal-Mart aren't enforceable (and actually don't even meet code requirements).

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I think what he was getting at was the double standard involved of them directing traffic through a private lot but not allowing traffic through there

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    The county council and county street department probably determined that the fairground driveways could not support a serious amount of traffic, main concern heavy truck traffic and that is why the signs are there. It would be minimal effort for the county to ask Walmart if it is okay to use their lot to gain access. Give the street department a call and ask, tell them you are just curious.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'm confused. If you're saying the people own it, since the county owns it, wouldn't your logic also apply to all public streets... meaning that traffic laws on them are also unenforceable? See what I'm getting at? I think you'd have a better argument if the parking lot was private property. For instance, in many cases stop signs in parking lots at places like Wal-Mart aren't enforceable (and actually don't even meet code requirements).

I see your point. But what law would be broken? I mean to get a ticket on a public roadway one has to break a law....so what law is being broken by driving thru the lot? I know in my case he could have easily cited me for no seat belt, but other than that what would it be?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I got pulled over on the Carmel high school grounds years ago. There was a barricade blocking the quick drive north to smokey row. I saw a police officer drive around it and head down. So I did the same and he pulled me over, irate I followed him. This was like a Saturday afternoon. He asked why I thought I could go around that barrier, and I said since you did. He informed me he was an emergency vehicle and that he was different. I told him I didn't see his lights on and figured there was no emergency. Told me not to do it again. Ahh... Carmel. I wish I got 30 sick days a year :(

heck, maybe it was Kut :dunno:

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I think what he was getting at was the double standard involved of them directing traffic through a private lot but not allowing traffic through there

That's exactly what I was getting at.

The county council and county street department probably determined that the fairground driveways could not support a serious amount of traffic, main concern heavy truck traffic and that is why the signs are there. It would be minimal effort for the county to ask Walmart if it is okay to use their lot to gain access. Give the street department a call and ask, tell them you are just curious.

I imagine you are right about them trying to limit excessive weight on a regular basis. Although in fairness, the fairgrounds has a gravel road that goes all the way thru where traffic would never even enter their parking lot. They could have just as easily opened it up as good neighbors to the people the roundabout construction inconveniences.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Off the top of my head, the ticket would probably be written for disregarding a traffic control device. At that point it becomes a question of whether or not the signs forbidding through traffic were put up under a lawful authority.

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    I got pulled over on the Carmel high school grounds years ago. There was a barricade blocking the quick drive north to smokey row. I saw a police officer drive around it and head down. So I did the same and he pulled me over, irate I followed him. This was like a Saturday afternoon. He asked why I thought I could go around that barrier, and I said since you did. He informed me he was an emergency vehicle and that he was different. I told him I didn't see his lights on and figured there was no emergency. Told me not to do it again. Ahh... Carmel. I wish I got 30 sick days a year :(

heck, maybe it was Kut :dunno:

Unless you also got a lecture about white privilege, it probably wasn't.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Unless you also got a lecture about white privilege, it probably wasn't.

I am really not sure what this is all about but you seem to be stalking Kut. He does not reply to you yet you seem to be on a mission. This smacks of someone that is not allowed to play here anymore.

I have hinted at this hopping not to have to say it but now I will.......Give this a rest. Or I will have to start stalking you and I really prefer not to. Opinions and civil discussion are fine. Constantly badgering another member is not.
    This will be the last said on this.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am really not sure what this is all about but you seem to be stalking Kut. He does not reply to you yet you seem to be on a mission. This smacks of someone that is not allowed to play here anymore.

I have hinted at this hopping not to have to say it but now I will.......Give this a rest. Or I will have to start stalking you and I really prefer not to. Opinions and civil discussion are fine. Constantly badgering another member is not.
    This will be the last said on this.
    Does someone replying to me when everyone knows I have that person on my ignore list fall in the same category?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Now for my question. When I look at the tax records for the fairground it is clear it is county property, which to me means we the people own it...

If you're willing to be a test case, go down to the nearest county courthouse and refuse to leave when it closes. Tell them that "we the people own it" so you have a right to be there. See what they charge you with.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If you're willing to be a test case, go down to the nearest county courthouse and refuse to leave when it closes. Tell them that "we the people own it" so you have a right to be there. See what they charge you with.

They can't arrest you. It's state law. I swear to God it is.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I get the whole "I'm a taxpayer, I own it" thing. Really, I do. And I wish gov't employees acted more like the public servants they are supposed to be. But while one guy might want to drive on "his property" maybe 99 other people might not want to pay for the wear and tear on the property, or what have you. I guess what I'm saying is the government has to take more into consideration than just one person. I mean this in a general way, and it might be perfectly reasonable for you to be able to drive through that area in your specific situation.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I was just curious of something. As some of you may know the roads are closed near the Hendricks County fairgrounds. The fairgrounds has signs up that say no thru traffic so that people don't cut thru the lot and instead drive 4-5 miles out of the way to get to homes that are North of fairgrounds. At the same time, the fairground put up signs at Wal-Mart entrance directing people to the fairgrounds by way of Wal-Mart entrance and bypass road. Well last night I finally got pulled over for cutting thru the fair parking lot. The Sheriff who pulled me over was beyond fair and very professional, didn't even run my license and I was very respectful and didn't bring this up to him because I didn't want to sound rude or like I was not appreciative of him doing his job....heck, he didn't even say nothing to me for not wearing my seat belt.

Now for my question. When I look at the tax records for the fairground it is clear it is county property, which to me means we the people own it. What exactly would they write a ticket for in this case?

Not trying to start a pissing contest, but this just don't appear to be something the law can enforce in a court. And how is it the county property can not be a thru bypass but the Wal-Mart lot is ok for the fairgrounds to direct people thru?
    Ticket? What makes you think he would write you a ticket? If the County Fair Board doesn't want people driving through their property, who do you think enforces that and under what law? The local LE are enforcing trespass laws. The fact that it is taxpayer funded is meaningless in terms of trespass.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Ticket? What makes you think he would write you a ticket? If the County Fair Board doesn't want people driving through their property, who do you think enforces that and under what law? The local LE are enforcing trespass laws. The fact that it is taxpayer funded is meaningless in terms of trespass.

I like my way of reaching the same conclusion better.

Top Bottom