• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So I've been pretty critical of Trump recently, and with good reason. But it was pointed out that I have given the impression that I don't like him. First of all, this isn't personal. Heck, I couldn't stand Obama's presidency, but I've never met the man. I can't say that we wouldn't be best friends on a personal level. But I digress. In an attempt to show some fairness, and maybe a window into my values, I thought I would comment positively on something he has said recently.

So I'm sitting down for breakfast yesterday, and Fox Business is on the TV. Trump's tax bill was being discussed. Maria Bartiromo had interviewed Trump and a couple of things stuck out to me:

1) Trump wants this done before Christmas, which is important, and if his statements are to be believed, he has put a pretty high priority on this.

2) It was specifically asked whether the corporate tax breaks should allow companies to pay higher dividends to shareholders, thus increasing wealth, or if they should go into capital expenditures, thus creating jobs. His response: "it's their money, they can do what they want with it. And both are good for the country." I thought that was perfect, and it made my inner libertarian happy to hear it said.

Please don't construe this as an endorsement of the tax plan, especially since congressional republicans will do their best to wreck it, never mind the inevitable concessions made to democrats. But it's good to hear the POTUS at least saying things like this.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Democrats and Concessions? For some reason I can't remember these two words being used together in recent history. But maybe that's just me!

Chewie

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Thanks, I feel better now, I thought my memory was aging faster than my body. Nice to know it's still aging at the same speed (which is still to fast).

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Democrats and Concessions? For some reason I can't remember these two words being used together in recent history. But maybe that's just me!

I said "to" democrats, not "by" democrats. The Republicans always find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. But we're being positive here.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I think the two executive actions of near two weeks ago were spot on. One freed insurance companies to offer less expensive health care plans that may not include all of the ACA mandated contents; such as plans that, for example, do not cover such things maternity care (unneeded if you're male in the traditional 2 genders definition) or drug addiction care/counceling (if, say, you do not do drugs and feel you can get by without such coverage) etc

And most importantly, stopping the unconstitutional direct transfer payments to insurance companies that were not enacted in a bill nor originated in the house.

Either executive order can be superseded by congressional action; which would be fine no matter what form it takes, even if it restores the status quo. Such action should originate with congress and the EO encourages return to more constitutional government should congress wish to become involved. If not the EOs were still the right thing to do

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I stand corrected. Those two words that close together confused me.

Re-reading my post, I realized it sounded a bit terse. When I typed it I had this good-natured tone in my head that I thought would come through. I didn't intend to correct, just clarify. I apologize.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I think the two executive actions of near two weeks ago were spot on. One freed insurance companies to offer less expensive health care plans that may not include all of the ACA mandated contents; such as plans that, for example, do not cover such things maternity care (unneeded if you're male in the traditional 2 genders definition) or drug addiction care/counceling (if, say, you do not do drugs and feel you can get by without such coverage) etc

And most importantly, stopping the unconstitutional direct transfer payments to insurance companies that were not enacted in a bill nor originated in the house.

Either executive order can be superseded by congressional action; which would be fine no matter what form it takes, even if it restores the status quo. Such action should originate with congress and the EO encourages return to more constitutional government should congress wish to become involved. If not the EOs were still the right thing to do

Yes, and well said. I thought the "Obamacare is dead" (or however he put it) rhetoric was hyperbolic, but that's his personality. Besides words are much less important than actions, and those were appropriate actions.

As an aside, I really wanted to have a thread where we could discuss positives in a field often fraught with negatives. I didn't mean it to be solely about Trump, but I led with that since I've been hard on him of late. At the risk of sounding negative, I'll probably have to dig a little deeper to say something nice about Congress.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes, and well said. I thought the "Obamacare is dead" (or however he put it) rhetoric was hyperbolic, but that's his personality. Besides words are much less important than actions, and those were appropriate actions.

As an aside, I really wanted to have a thread where we could discuss positives in a field often fraught with negatives. I didn't mean it to be solely about Trump, but I led with that since I've been hard on him of late. At the risk of sounding negative, I'll probably have to dig a little deeper to say something nice about Congress.

You will need extra shovels and some help. Not being negative just being real.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    You will need extra shovels and some help. Not being negative just being real.

QFT

In our state legislature, I'm thankful for Mr. Lucas. I don't know if he'll ever hold higher office, he's probably melted too many snowflakes. But I'm glad we still have at least on legislator who will put the right above personal gain.

I know that's a softball pitch on a gun forum, but hey, I'm trying here.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Since we are being positive, Guy was asked why he was pushing for Constitutional Carry at the last hearing and his answer included that he will lose about 25% of his practice with repeal of licensing.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Since we are being positive, Guy was asked why he was pushing for Constitutional Carry at the last hearing and his answer included that he will lose about 25% of his practice with repeal of licensing.

The Cincinnati might be an endangered species, but they are not extinct.

Chewie

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Re-reading my post, I realized it sounded a bit terse. When I typed it I had this good-natured tone in my head that I thought would come through. I didn't intend to correct, just clarify. I apologize.

No apology needed, I took it as stated. I miss read and you corrected, no harm, no foul.

Chewie

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Man the positive is refreshing...:cool:

I am rarely offended when corrected, in fact I am rarely offended. You have to have feelings to be offended and according to my coworkers I have none :):. I prefer non politically correct, makes everything easier to understand and very clear :twocents:.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am rarely offended when corrected, in fact I am rarely offended. You have to have feelings to be offended and according to my coworkers I have none :):. I prefer non politically correct, makes everything easier to understand and very clear :twocents:.

If I am not over thinking and worried of offending I can respond much faster and be very clear.

Top Bottom