Does anyone carry a polymer 80? Ever been stopped with it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ~STOLEN~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I'm about to build a polymer 80 glock 19 and got to thinking about the situation that could be ahead if I carried.

A Non serialized handgun would be illegal correct? So what ways are there to go around it, that wouldn't cause issues if I were to be stopped with it.

Obviously a Leo on this forum who encounters one would likely know what it is. However some Leo are not gun freaks like us so it could be a horrible situation with the gun being confiscated.

What's your .02

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm about to build a polymer 80 glock 19 and got to thinking about the situation that could be ahead if I carried.

A Non serialized handgun would be illegal correct? So what ways are there to go around it, that wouldn't cause issues if I were to be stopped with it.

Obviously a Leo on this forum who encounters one would likely know what it is. However some Leo are not gun freaks like us so it could be a horrible situation with the gun being confiscated.

What's your .02

Honestly, I would not build/carry it if it truly would cause this issue. Build it, maybe.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I personally wouldn't carry it just to avoid the hassle. I had another officer freak out when he seen my ar pistol in the back seat of my truck. between it being an 80% build and the shockwave blade on it i thought he was going to have a stroke, took a few minutes of reassuring him it was legal before he calmed down.

IANAL but serial numbers are not required for a home build for personal use.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I personally wouldn't carry it just to avoid the hassle. I had another officer freak out when he seen my ar pistol in the back seat of my truck. between it being an 80% build and the shockwave blade on it i thought he was going to have a stroke, took a few minutes of reassuring him it was legal before he calmed down.

IANAL but serial numbers are not required for a home build for personal use.

Had the same deal. Not all LEO are well versed. Our LEO (Ingo) are on top of this but there are a few that are not for what ever reason.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I didn't think serials were required. Just that they could not be altered/removed.

Though, if most gun-nuts don't know, I wouldn't expect the average LEO to know.

~STOLEN~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    If it is legal to build it, why would it be illegal to carry it? What is your worry, here?

I'm talking strict legality, not whether or not you should.

I won a free 80% g19 lower and was gonna built it. Just though about the issues that may come up from uninformed law enforcement.

I know a home build isn't legal to possess , just to sell or something like that.

I just figured one day i may grab it not thinking and stick it on the magnet in the truck and take it with me.

I cant speak on how reliable they are. Guess the build would be up for criticism...but I have a kimber warrior that ftf more than ANY glock ive ever had.
    Just sayin

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    First of all, I'm never ever going to hand over my gun to a cop. If he wants it he's going to have to take it. Secondly, it's not illegal to carry a home built unserialized firearm in any way shape or form. So he can be confused all he wants and if he arrests me for carrying a legal unserialized firearm I will assert my right to remain silent and wait for my attorney. If you don't want to carry it to avoid issues then good for you but you only limit your own rights

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I won a free 80% g19 lower and was gonna built it. Just though about the issues that may come up from uninformed law enforcement.

I know a home build isn't legal to possess , just to sell or something like that.

I just figured one day i may grab it not thinking and stick it on the magnet in the truck and take it with me.

I cant speak on how reliable they are. Guess the build would be up for criticism...but I have a kimber warrior that ftf more than ANY glock ive ever had.
    Just sayin

Ok, I see. Projection of legit concern over level of knowledge of law enforcement.

1. You are concerned about Deputy Billy Bob spinning your pistol about like a raccoon eating an apple looking for the serial number. Even given Pinner and Richardson, this COULD become an issue. I bought a pre-68 Colt Stagecoach and shut down a Gander Mountain for 2 hours while they spun the rifle around looking for the serial number.

2. Is it a legit issue? Maybe. If you are productive class with a job and family, why risk a night in the pokey when you have other things to do?

3. What is your counter? Maybe carry the ATFE Q & A about home-mades? Title I firearms, including handguns, are legal to own and carry. As you correctly state, it is ILLEGAL to sell or trade the one you make yourself without being an SOT.

4. Why are you sticking guns on magnets instead of putting guns in holsters on your belt line where they belong?

5. Build your gun, test it a bunch, carry it if you so desire, knowing that your serialless number may cause you problems and being ready to counter that.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    First of all, I'm never ever going to hand over my gun to a cop. If he wants it he's going to have to take it. Secondly, it's not illegal to carry a home built unserialized firearm in any way shape or form. So he can be confused all he wants and if he arrests me for carrying a legal unserialized firearm I will assert my right to remain silent and wait for my attorney. If you don't want to carry it to avoid issues then good for you but you only limit your own rights

Correct statements of law.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Just sayin

Well 1st it is a kimber warrior. No decent comparison.

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I didn't say I would resist. I'm just not going to hand over my firearms. If they want to take it or remove it from my person then they can and I won't accept it back either. We'll be in front of a judge for the officer to explain why he felt the need to unlawfully disarm me

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Had the same deal. Not all LEO are well versed. Our LEO (Ingo) are on top of this but there are a few that are not for what ever reason.

I"m with CM on this. I'm sure it's perfectly legal BUT some LEOs are not well versed in the fringe area of firearms laws. I'm constantly surprised while watching Live PD with how firearms are handled on the show. All LEOs are not what I would call "gunny". You could be completely in the right and still end up in handcuffs. Play with the 80% pistol all you want but IMHO I would eschew using it for an EDC..
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

~STOLEN~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    1-i think ill just build it to shoot at my fathers house and other ranges that would not be concerned about it.

2-i have a magnet just to the right of my right leg under the steering column that the top of the slide attaches to. only on the magnet while im driving, otherwise its on my person or locked in the safe.

3-how dare you disgrace my kimber like that....you should be ashamed of yourself

4-i am an employed contributing citizen. SO in other words i will not have "spare" time to challenge a officer on the side of the road about 2nd amendment rights and law putting both our lives at risk while traffic rushes by.

thanks for all the outside opinions and free knowlege (except the kimber comment) LOL

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    1-i think ill just build it to shoot at my fathers house and other ranges that would not be concerned about it.

2-i have a magnet just to the right of my right leg under the steering column that the top of the slide attaches to. only on the magnet while im driving, otherwise its on my person or locked in the safe.

3-how dare you disgrace my kimber like that....you should be ashamed of yourself

4-i am an employed contributing citizen. SO in other words i will not have "spare" time to challenge a officer on the side of the road about 2nd amendment rights and law putting both our lives at risk while traffic rushes by.

thanks for all the outside opinions and free knowlege (except the kimber comment) LOL

Hey man you disgraced it I just commented on your disgraceful remark about your Kimber...:):
    No harm no foul but I have owned them and never will own another for reasons I will keep to myself.

Top Bottom