• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    What do you have that would not be damaged by EMP?

An old car, truck or tube radio? An EMP storage box idea.

Look around your home or work. What can you do if the power goes out for months. Do you know what critical spares you should have to fix what you have? Do you know what the critcal parts on your car, truck or generator.

Who has a foot cranked sewing machine, hand pump well, tube radio or ham system...the list goes on. Don't toss those old items from granda or what could you find at a yard sale or auction....

Mods...can we make it a new sticky?

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Good topic...As a mechanic I can tell you if you have a vehicle with fuel inection, and there is a major EMP burst, you can pretty much forget about having spare parts to fix it. I think this is a VERY real senerio that could happen, since we have so many new players trying to get onto the nuclear playing field. All it would take is one well placed dirty nuke over the grid, and we would be in some serious trouble.

Last edited:

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Here is a group of podcasts on youtube that is very informative on the topic of EMP, and what could happen.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6HslUkHd4o]YouTube - EMP Electromagnetic Pulse Attacks Pt1 William Forstchen[/ame]

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Older cars that use as little amounts of electrical components as possiable. You have a much better chance of being able to restore one of them after the event. Likely components that would need replacement would probably be the coil, and distributor maybe more....Anybody ever read the story "Lights Out" by Halffast ? Pretty neat story that is about a EMP strike.

http://www.survivalmonkey.com/SF%20books/LightsOut!/LightsOut-Current.pdf

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    EMP=disaster, regardless of where it originates.

I doubt that few know what it is,
    and suspect that fewer are able to cope with one in comfort.
    (actually, EMP & comfort should not be in the same paragraph)

Interesting topic

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    That's why I want to get one of these. Guaranteed to work, even after an EMP strike.

racing-bridle.bmp

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    IH 756 tractor made between '67 - '71. IDK if it would work or not...

5 horses

We still have some mule harnesses and a small plow that grandpa used to use back in the day. I hope I never have to use those lol.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Well for us, currently both of our grain trucks, one a 78 Ford Cat diesel, the other a 86 Ford with Cummins diesel, along with all of our tractors and combine. The only way any of them would be disabled is if the starters would be ruined, I'll just try to get dad to get extras. Otherwise I'm wanting to buy a late 70's Ford pickup for SHTF. I have a couple I've been looking at, just need the money to do it.

I've also been looking into getting a hand well pump, and a bigger generator. But since gas would be harder to get I wouldn't want to rely on that. We are also looking into a wood furnace to add onto my house as well.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Heres a video from the TV show "Future Weapons" showing the effect of EMP on a mid 90's model Ford Taurus.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj54FcI7_dE]YouTube - Taurus gets zapped by EMP[/ame]

caneman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Lagrange County
    I live far enough from towns that a horse and a cart to go with it would be very practical. But I’ve got a 75X140 lot and no place to keep one. Best bet for me would be to try to make some kind of deal with one of the Amish farmers for a horse and try to build a simple cart. Even there, they could build a better one than I could.

052.5GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Columbus
    An EMP wouldn't make a distributor not work. There's nothing that would be damaged.

Couldn't hurt to have an extra, along with extras for all wear items.

Extra parts are sometimes not given much thought, but should definitely be considered needs. Also, service manuals and a common knowledge of how to repair your vehicle.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Is there anyway to protect a car from EMP? What would have to be changed on an affected vehicle to make it work again?

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Is there anyway to protect a car from EMP? What would have to be changed on an affected vehicle to make it work again?

If it would be possible (meaning if you had the right car) you would need an intake manifold, carb, distributor and more than likely just buying an older vehicle would be best as it won't have all of the components ran by a computer.

Top Bottom