• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spamman1368

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Hey there everyone, I have a question about buying a handgun in Indiana. When I went to the local Gander Mountain to buy a Smith & Wesson 9mm, the lady behind the counter looked at my driver's licence and told me that I had to be an Indiana resident to purchase a handgun. I'm from central PA and since I've never bought a gun before, this was news to me. Does anyone know what to do about this? Do I need to change my state of residence just to buy a handgun? Thanks!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    An FFL can sell a long arm to residents of the state or an adjacent state.
    An FFL can sell a handgun directly to residents of that state.
    However, Gander can also sell it to you and ship it to an FFL in your home state for pickup (i.e. you wouldn't actually get possession of the gun until you get home).
    Whether they will actually do that or not depends on their store policy. People buy handguns from out-of-state FFLs all the time.

I think that's how it works. Someone will correct me or put a finer point on it if needed. This is INGO!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You can not purchase handguns with an out of state license.

Of course you can. You just can't take it home with you. Handgun purchases across state lines have to be transferred through an FFL in your home state. Gander can sell it to you, but they'd have to ship it to a gun store in your state where you would go to pick it up. They likely just don't want to do it.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    And the entire address (street, city, and state) you put on the form has to match the address you have on your DL. So when you buy a house and forget to change your license and go to buy some new toys with your new home buyer monies, you'll have to put the gun on hold while you go to the BMV.

I mean, so I've heard. Totally didn't happen to me or anything. :D

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    For them to sell it to you, you would need a copy of your transfer dealer's FFL for them to ship the pistol to.

Again, without an FFL, or knowing Gander regardless, store policy might be not to sell it to you.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Hey there everyone, I have a question about buying a handgun in Indiana. When I went to the local Gander Mountain to buy a Smith & Wesson 9mm, the lady behind the counter looked at my driver's licence and told me that I had to be an Indiana resident to purchase a handgun. I'm from central PA and since I've never bought a gun before, this was news to me. Does anyone know what to do about this? Do I need to change my state of residence just to buy a handgun? Thanks!
    Are you living here or not? If you don't want to change your residence to Indiana, I guess you could go to PA to buy a handgun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom