• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    INGO collects "Registered Members" like some INGOers collect rep points. Many of these "members" have been inactive for years. The members list should be purged. This would allow easier member searches.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    INGO collects "Registered Members" like some INGOers collect rep points. Many of these "members" have been inactive for years. The members list should be purged. This would allow easier member searches.

How long until the inactive member is deleted? Some folks go on 14 month deployments with little to no internet access. So I'd say it should be a year and a half of inactivity. Just my opinion.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I disagree that inactive members should be deleted. If the person contributed good information in a thread, that contribution is gone. I am a member on other forums that I don't frequent often, then I randomly pop in to the forum after a few months. I go for months to a year without popping in.

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Inactive

Some folks do alot more reading than posting. I'd hate to count them out as "inactive". Momma always said "you never learn anything when your mouth is open" In this case, when your keyboard is working

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

I disagree that inactive members should be deleted. If the person contributed good information in a thread, that contribution is gone. I am a member on other forums that I don't frequent often, then I randomly pop in to the forum after a few months. I go for months to a year without popping in.

Exactly. If we deleted members who have posted but haven't logged in, you'd have a ton of threads that no longer make any sense.

How long until the inactive member is deleted? Some folks go on 14 month deployments with little to no internet access. So I'd say it should be a year and a half of inactivity. Just my opinion.

Members do not get purged. Even ones where they haven't logged in for a long time, because sometimes it's a long time between logins. There is no good reason to purge inactive accounts. They don't take up any space, the advertising rates aren't based on membership numbers, and so forth. Just to make it "easier to do member searches" is insufficient reason. On the other hand, retaining the accounts offers so much benefit, including the ability to track the growth of the site (as was done for this thread).

Actually, I tell a slight fib. I think accounts that have been registered but never completed the e-mail verification are purged after a few weeks because many of them are spambots, but those numbers are fairly small. A couple of dozen a month, tops, and we register about 30 new members per day.

Some folks do alot more reading than posting. I'd hate to count them out as "inactive". Momma always said "you never learn anything when your mouth is open" In this case, when your keyboard is working

Exactly. Our active membership has always been around 30% regardless of how many total accounts we have, but it's not necessarily the same 30% month to month. That means any given month, 9000 members have logged in. At least, for now. That number grows at the same rate as the total membership.

Last edited:

harrna02

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    columbia city
    I agree. Membership should be based on activity. If you are not active, then you need to re register

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I think Mackay (like many here of late) bowed out.

I think that you are right CM. I have a feeling that more will follow before it is said and done.

55054255_zpsu5s7ux6z.jpg

Top Bottom