texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Administrator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Sanger
    So thanks to 'other dave' and a few others this comes up. I was kind to him for weeks as we discussed this along with the others that swoop in here to advertise. It is getting a bit much listening to these folks want it their way only. So changes are needed. It's been getting a bit much being told by these folks how to run things when they are here for 1 thing.

First, loads of members here post things and links to places not sponsors here. It comes naturally, post about a deal, ask a question about a particular company, these posts are normal natural and fine. Great. Nobody says boo.

However the guys that come here to post to their events, shows and so on for businesses this is called advertising. These guys tend to be here for one thing and one thing only and it makes modding a pain. Lots goes on behind the scenes due to these folks.
    INGO as I understand had it setup to support local trainers freely. They can post their events in a certain section. These guys tend to be small/medium trainers (not stores, only trainers) and so on. To me firearms training is vital so that's great. We also allow 4 or so non profit based folks to post as they like and some get their own forum. Great, nothing was ever changed. They can still post these courses and such.

However the issue is with these larger businesses or members that sneak in ads to various things. Well some sneak others don't. Notice none support the site that support them. It's advertising is it not? Nobody ever said they had to be a full advertiser, I am zero pressure on ads.

Going forward the thought it to give the trainers here a plaque, saying something like 'INGO Trainer' and they can go as they were. Businesses (larger stores and such) though wanting to post events and such can join like a site Supporter, get a similar plaque with a different tag and can pay something like $40 a year perhaps. Just a thought. Curious what the members think. The goal is and still should be to make sure trainers can go about things as they always have. That has never been an issue. Chime in, I am open to ideas. This will organize things and make it easy to see if someone post to just advertise. Cleans things up. And seems more than fair. Thanks all…

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I love the idea.

The INGO TRAINER is great. Most of them contribute.

I am a tad persnickety about people coming here just to use it as a swap shop, especially when they are not even a site supporter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    2-A,
    BT and myself both look at all of this when we are dealing with members. Being a site supporter does put you in a different light especially with 80 posts in the forum and 350 in the classifieds.
    Or as one of our recently departed said.....the paid into old guys circle jerk club.
    If $20 is going to break you maybe you need to find another hobby/passion.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'll add I also love it, but [STRIKE]maybe[/STRIKE] DEFINITELY grandfather in those trainers who already have an established base and are solid participants. Folks like coach, BBI, and others are already demonstrating they are part of the site. They dont need to pay any more than they already are as site supporters because they also provide regular input to the site as users.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'll add I also love it, but [STRIKE]maybe[/STRIKE] DEFINITELY grandfather in those trainers who already have an established base and are solid participants. Folks like coach, BBI, and others are already demonstrating they are part of the site. They dont need to pay any more than they already are as site supporters because they also provide regular input to the site as users.

Coach is not a site supporter.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The way I read it the trainers could still post events free, am I mistaken?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Coach is not a site supporter.

Sorry, didnt mean Site Supporters as much as site supporters. My intention was in the practical more than the cash money. While Coach (and possibly others) dont necessarily support the site financially, but instead they support the site with their input as professionals that provide INGO with valuable resources.

Edit: there is a huge difference between somebody like Coach who is here regularly adding his valuable input and periodically mentioning his monthly shoots, vs somebody like "theotherbob" (or whoever he was) who only shows up to hawk his gun shows.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The way I read it the trainers could still post events free, am I mistaken?

This is all a feeler thread for what the end product is going to be. Nothing is in stone a yet.
    Suggestions.

My thoughts are that if you are promoting your business then some sort of involvement with Ingo should take place even if it only amounts to being an up to date site supporter. Which most are not. JMHO and Tex has the final say.

Like I said, this is all about ideas. Nothing is in ink yet as I understand it.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I'm down with it as long as they Ban Mbills as well...

But yeah. I would like to see something that tags contributing members so they don't have to pay a ton. As mentioned upthread, Coach does a lot for us (as a community) in advocacy, so I'd be cool with someone like him getting a tag without having to pay for it. However, the "I've got a gun show at my barn this weekend" guys need to be thinned out.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I am also in favor of this.

One tweak might be to allow "trainers" to opt into the tag. Some may like to come here and post things unrelated to training, and that might get distorted if people thought the person was posting "as a trainer." If they opt out, then they need to be discrete - no overt invitations to training events, but in-passing mention that they do it would be fine. Like, "One day at gun camp, this guy pulled out a flute...."

There probably would be a "know it when you see it" line that would then invite the INGO mods to say, "If you want to keep telling people about your business, you need to pay for a business account." Heck, I know of several business owners who have public business-focused social media accounts, then separate personal accounts. It makes sense to treat INGO the same way.

Just a couple ideas, but the original idea makes complete sense to me.

(Let me know if there's any way to shortcut the 50 quality post rule. At this rate, it'll take me forever to get there....) ;)

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Also seems reasonable to me. $20/year isnt a hardship. And if it is, you shouldnt be training. Or testing firearms as a non profit :)::)::)::): (Sorry, I couldnt resist)

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Administrator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Sanger
    Trainers pay nothing nor should they as it has always been. What about the big outfits though, larger stores that do things? They offer zero support. Our main focus is on the guys out there doing the training and helping folks. Yes, they will always be free. I will actually be promoting their stuff more soon on social media as well once things get rolling. Just making sure I am clear on the trainers here that offer so much to the site.

EDIT: As far as them supporting the site, HUH? I guess that is on them really. I am simply trying to keep the site as it was before. My main goal really was weeding out the larger folks coming in here for nothing and this whole 'shows' issue. This helps in modding and stream lines it like the ads, 50 posts or site support. Makes it easier. Sure trainers could pay $20 a year to get the badge, that would automate it. I am open though.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    It seems like you are going to give the trainers much more support than ever before.

I would hope that would give them am incentive to become site supporters and sport both badges.

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Administrator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Sanger
    The change is simple really once setup, non-invasive and streams-lines it all. It's not a dig on anyone for any reason at all. Really it was this whole show business that really brought it up (6+ users involved). Helps with modding, etc.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    "There's no business like show business, like NO business I know...."
    -Irving Berlin

:)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm pretty biased, as I have trained with the most of our long time local trainers. I think that their expertise and contributions have earned them a status to be noted.

IMHO, regardless of just posting in the training forum or any others, our long time local trainers' forum contributions should be encouraged by INGO. There is certainly no need to attempt to solicit any sort of site funding from folks whose forum contributions are already an asset to the site. :twocents:

:ingo:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom