• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    INGO needs your help. The classifieds is a great section on this site and to make it even better we need your ideas for rules.

Please post your suggestions here and as a group we will come up with guidelines and then begin enforcing them.

Thanks, Mike

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    1. Please prefix your ad with:
    • WTS: (Want To Sell)
    • WTB: (Want To Buy)
    • WTT: (Want To Trade)
    Or a combination such as WTS/T: (WTS or WTT). Posts that are not properly prefixed will be deleted.

2. Please post an asking price for your item if it is a WTS, or if it is a WTT ad but you will consider selling it outright.

3. No links to auctions or auction style posts unless it is an item you feel is of great interest to other INGO members and it is not your item.

4. I think a 30 post minimum to list an item for sale/trade is a good start.

5. Lock your thread once your item sells. DO NOT remove the pricing that was in place as it will help cut down on the "What would be a good starting price to sell my XXX"

6. Keep comments on ads related to the ad directly.
    • Related comments being: "Can you provide more pictures, How many rounds fire, etc."
    • Non-related comments along the lines of: "You're price is crazy high. What a POS, Etc."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think a general location is not too much to ask for. I understand privacy, but "central indiana" or "Muncie" is not too much to divulge, IMO. A FTF is unlikely to happen between a buyer in Evansville and a seller in Fort Wayne. This seems like a way to prevent 2 or 3 wasted PMs.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    W9ZEB has nailed it on the head.

Also, make sure pictures are mandatory within 24 hours of posting the FS add. It drives people nuts when you see a FS add and no pics with 30+ posts all saying... "pics please!"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I have to respectfully disagree with jon about pictures being required. It would be polite to post them quickly if you intend to, otherwise make clear your intention to NOT provide pictures. However, many folks aren't computer savy and/or don't own a digital camera. I consider the pictures an aid to the sale, but not a requirement. How many of us have bought used cars (etc.) out of the classified ads where no picture was printed? I think jon's idea has good intentions and is the most polite method, but I hate to see it become a requirement.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    I have to respectfully disagree with jon about pictures being required. It would be polite to post them quickly if you intend to, otherwise make clear your intention to NOT provide pictures. However, many folks aren't computer savy and/or don't own a digital camera. I consider the pictures an aid to the sale, but not a requirement. How many of us have bought used cars (etc.) out of the classified ads where no picture was printed? I think jon's idea has good intentions and is the most polite method, but I hate to see it become a requirement.

*Bows to you most huble sir* :cheers:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    How about any precursor expectations, like whether or not the seller (or searcher) specifically wants FTF transactions only. And if not, then info within the ad about who will be expected to pay shipping/insurance.
    ?

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Lars has a good set of rules.

I'd like to add to item 6
    6. Keep comments on ads related to the ad directly.
    • Related comments being: "Can you provide more pictures, How many rounds fire, etc."
    • Non-related comments along the lines of: "You're price is crazy high. What a POS, Etc."

No Negative comments on someones For Sale thread.
    If the price is to high, no one will be interested.
    If the price is to low It is probably already sold. LOL
    If it's a piece of junk, Keep it to yourself.

Common courtesy and politeness should apply.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'd like to add to item 6

No Negative comments on someones For Sale thread.
    If the price is to high, no one will be interested.
    If the price is to low It is probably already sold. LOL
    If it's a piece of junk, Keep it to yourself.

Common courtesy and politeness should apply.

I disagree with having this as a rule. While it's true that politeness should always apply, when you have to make a rule requiring it then something else is very wrong with your community.

I would prefer to leave it to the moderator's discretion. Not all negative comments are impolite or unwarranted.

In fact, the fewer rules, the better. The only rule for the Classified section should be "Ads should follow this general template..." Everything else is already covered by either the current forum posting guidelines or the rules of polite society.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Scutter, the only reason for #6 is actually to cut down on having to read through 3 pages of comments to find the "new lowered price" or changes made to the original offer.

An alternative would be to edit the original post of course. but that doesn't cause the thread to show up in "new posts".

This is however why we've asked for comments ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Scutter, the only reason for #6 is actually to cut down on having to read through 3 pages of comments to find the "new lowered price" or changes made to the original offer.

An alternative would be to edit the original post of course. but that doesn't cause the thread to show up in "new posts".

This is however why we've asked for comments ;)

That's a very good point. Personally, I'd like to see the new price in the original post. You know, "everything I need to know in one spot". The author could always add a new comment that just includes a brief description of the edit, like "price change" or "added/subtracted a freebie" or something, just to cause the new post flag to set and bump the thread.

I was really commenting more on Karl's addendum. Not that I thought it was a bad idea, I just thought it was an unnecessary addition.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Great ideas. I Look forward to seeing the new rules in place.

I'm assuming proper procedure would be to PM W9ZEB with any oddball situations, questions, etc?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Great ideas. I Look forward to seeing the new rules in place.

I'm assuming proper procedure would be to PM W9ZEB with any oddball situations, questions, etc?

most likely. Also there's a Report This Post feature should something be completely out of line, I'm pretty sure it e-mails the moderators. Or at least draws attention to said posts.

I like to think people have a lot of common sense and hope to not have to do a lot of moderating here.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Ok lets finalize these Rules. Lars I like everything but the post count right now. When we grow I think I will put that in place but for now no minimum.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom