• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Ordered a variety pack of their canned meats (they ship by the case of 12 only). Threw some egg noodles on to boil. Added the beef meat and some canned mushrooms. Touch of butter. OUTSTANDING!! Can't wait to try the chicken, turkey, and pork items.

I would suggest that you look them up on the web and get hold of them. Precooked with a long shelf life. $63.00 plus shipping gets you 12 24 oz cans of almost instant food. I know what I'll be stocking up my larder with now.

Grabill Country Meats, Grabill, IN (just NE of Ft Wayne). 260-627-3691.

No affiliation other than a pleasantly full belly. :rockwoot:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Some of the Ft. Wayne walmarts also carry it for anyone only wanting to try a can. We know the Manly family down by Decatur/ Monroe area and usually buy from them , but I would have to say this Grabil brand is every bit as good and a little better priced.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    We have used the pork for a long time, makes excellent pork BBQ. Empty can into pan, add favorite BBQ sauce, stir. It doesn't get any easier.

It sells at Martin's Supermarket and D&R here in Logansport.

Indyrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    NE INDY
    I'm all ears on this....easy to buy/store canned veggies, water, noodles, but its' not a meal without meat, and the odds of finding some meat to kill/eat everyday if SHTF is slim.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    The company says a minimum of 5 year shelf life , but in reality, perhaps twice that. There is an "aroma" when you open the can that you can't put your finger on, but no big deal. The meat is processed in the can, so maybe that has something to do with it.

The chicken is every bit as good as the beef. Some rice, salsa, peas, mushrooms,onion, butter, a couple favorite seasonings and I was 1 happy camper for 2 days.

Pork Bar B Que is next on the menu. Or perhaps bean soup with the canned pork? Either way, I'm looking forward to it.

whipfinish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Since all the oxygen is removed during the heating process when canning, there is no potential for the food to go bad. There are no expiration dates required. I have been told that a can on the shelf for 10 years tasted like it just came off the line.

Indyrich

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    NE INDY
    Canning question...so I have seen that a buldged can is an indicator of botulism and to avoid it. How can you detect that in a mason jar? Is there a test strip kit to test the food when you open a can or jar?

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Canning question...so I have seen that a buldged can is an indicator of botulism and to avoid it. How can you detect that in a mason jar? Is there a test strip kit to test the food when you open a can or jar?

IIRC, the same thing occurs in the canning lids. The lid should be slightly concave and tight. If you can push the lid down and it pops like an old oil can, it's probably not safe to eat.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The company says a minimum of 5 year shelf life , but in reality, perhaps twice that. ...

Likely based on palatability. There's no reason properly canned meat should go 'bad' (as in unsafe) for a looong time.

My grandma used to can meat. The beef was especially good and the juice made a nice gravy.

Some years ago we "found" a can in the basement. Probably 40-year-old canned beef. Naturally, my uncle ate it. Suffered no ill effects.

Surely not as nutritious as the day it was canned, but safe to eat.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Today was bean soup with Grabills canned pork product. While it was good, I believe the beef and chicken are better.

Soaked 2 cups of navy beans overnight. Cleaned them this morning and put 3 times the amount of water with them. Brought to boil then simmered for 2 1/2 hours. Added another cup of water, an onion, salt, butter, and the pork and simmered another hour. Thick broth with tender beans. Again, it was good, but needed some "seasoning umph".

Nonetheless, I will be stocking up on the canned pork as well as the beef and chicken. Cheap bean soup.... for $4.00 or so, I will eat for 2 days. Can't beat it. Just the thing after moving wood this fall.

indiver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Got to Grabill today (7miles from my house) and got my first case of meat. 4 pork 4 chicken and 4 beef.$63.00 work out to $5.25 a can. I saved about $1.25 a can from the store. Now I need to stock up on some noodles. One more case will make a nice addition to my stockpile. My Brother and Grandmother use Grabill meat in their soup and their noodles so maybe 2 cases won't be enough! :dunno:

Indy500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    If you push on the lid of a mason jar and it makes a clicking sound, the seal has been compromised and should be thrown out. If you puch on the lid and it has a solid feel because the vacuum is present, it SHOULD be safe.

Foxfire

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Seymour
    Sounds good. I’m thinking about ordering some.
    Can someone look at the ingredients and tell me if there is MSG or Monosodium glutamate in them?
    I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    I am looking at a can of chicken from them. Ingredients are: Chicken, Salt, Pepper. That's it. Plain and simple.

Top Bottom