• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I'd love to talk about ingenuity; Using thing's not as they were directly intended for, or making something out of nothing based on supplies had.

My first will be, something I've never done, but would work just as fine.

Ever had a cheapo knife? Not much good of it as is? Well, break it apart, attach it to a stick and now you can have a spear.

Or Attach a fork to stick, and now you'll have a half decent fishing spear.
    ================================================

I never have made my own bow/arrow, but this seems like it could be a decent idea for MSG's to practice since in a survival situation, you'll probably want to save ammo for the really bad situations.

How to Make a Bow and Arrow - wikiHow

How to Make Wooden Bow and Arrows

emery-compound-crossbow-prototype-11.jpg

The crossbow, could be made, with afew modifications to the above, but it does give a decent idea.
    Build a Hunter’s Crossbow

How to Make Crossbows: The Classic Crossbow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I am currently making a bow out of Maple, testing my bow-making water.... So far I am pleased.

But while making, I thought how personal such a feat is, and how I will make this 'tool' mine, and add some heritagical symbolism into it.

I must encouage people to just try it. It's pretty fun

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    I'm sure your bow will make a nice piece. Show some pics when it's done. The Vikings were well known for their craftsmanship.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I'm sure your bow will make a nice piece. Show some pics when it's done. The Vikings were well known for their craftsmanship.

That they were my friend, that they were. Here's some of my peices.

DSC00942.jpg

The above is styled after an ancient Germanic depiction of a Sea voyage, in it, you can clearly see the ancient IE symbol, a Sun Cross.

The following is of a book shelve Im currently working on.

DSC00335.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

I also do God Pillars

DSC00554.jpg

You can barely see the sword, and I've never taken a picture of the final peice, which had more depictions all over it.

Ofcourse Im branching out... Into walking sticks, Germanic (Pagan) Rosaries, Runic sticks, rocks. Looking out trying Runic Chainmail and other trades.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    my freshman year of college, my dorm neighbor made his own chainmail suit out of bailing wire. He was forever forming and linking those little rings.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    my freshman year of college, my dorm neighbor made his own chainmail suit out of bailing wire. He was forever forming and linking those little rings.

It looks like it could be fun.

I'd be interested in making my own armour.

On a side note, I'll be making (possibly) a Sling shot, thanks to my stroll through the park.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

I had a roomate that did chain mail, he used wire coathangers and wound them around a dowel of the right size for his links, then pulled the dowel out and started cutting, lots of links all at once!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Not really the correct thread for this tip, but Half price book store in Castleton (Indy) right next to the toys R us, located in the shopping center of the mall, has one of THE most impressive Survivalist books I've ever seen.

"Extreme Survival" a step by step to various forms of surviving priced @ $7.98

If you cant get it there, here

http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Survi...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284878307&sr=1-1

Extreme Survival is a beautifully put together book and well worth the price. It is a large book which attempts to cover basically every conceivable survival situation, some in detail and others by a general overview. Chapters include various subjects in each of these categoris:

Principles of bushcraft
    Building shelters
    Making Fire and the uses of fire
    Different aspects of water
    Survival foods
    Tools and necessary equipment for survival
    General self-defense
    Home survival and safety
    Survival in various situations
    Terrorism survival situations
    Surviving natural disasters
    General first aid

The examples and step by step instructions are almost all high quality photographs instead of the silly, poorly drawn illustrations contained in most survival books. This adds to the enjoyment of the book as well as making it much easier to follow and easier to understand what the authors are trying to illustrate to the reader. There are some fantastic photographs in this book. Extreme Survival is very well organized and easy to read and understand. It contains many interesting facts and tips that I had not read in other survival books.

Being a visual-type of guy, I feel this book will help me in some areas which I feel I may have some weak points.

This comes HIGHLY recommended, and please if you have an amazon account, 5 star it ASAP.

Last edited:

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I just watched Dave Canterburry shoot one. he has a Slingshot just like mine. Now if i could find someone handy enough to convert mine id be a happy camper.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    I just watched Dave Canterburry shoot one. he has a Slingshot just like mine. Now if i could find someone handy enough to convert mine id be a happy camper.

:dunno:

He has 2 videos for the original model and Modified model, on how to make them. They appear very very easy to to modify. I like the Whisker bisket version.

FYI, no Walmart in Fisher/keystone carries a whisker bisket.

Otherwise, I found the slingshots @ the mejier in Fishers.

Looks like I'll be looking at gander and Galyans.

Top Bottom