• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have noticed one huge hole in the things I have learned and that is my ability to clean deer, squirrel, rabbit and so on. I have seen it done by my uncles a couple times when I was a kid but I have never done it myself hands on. Does anyone know anywhere to learn and actually see in person how to clean an animal for food gathering and the proper way to save items like the skin/fur or other useful items? Any info is appreciated.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Go kill a squirrel or six and chop off anything that doesn't look edible. . .

youtube has some good clips, or if you want to spend money, there are a myriad of books and DVDs out there.

Seriously, read/watch and then do it yourself. It's not that hard, just bloody and smelly. . .

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I have noticed one huge hole in the things I have learned and that is my ability to clean deer, squirrel, rabbit and so on. I have seen it done by my uncles a couple times when I was a kid but I have never done it myself hands on. Does anyone know anywhere to learn and actually see in person how to clean an animal for food gathering and the proper way to save items like the skin/fur or other useful items? Any info is appreciated.

we could go hunting together :dunno: :D

C.H.U.D.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Elkhart
    cleaning

Are your cleaning or dressing out for butchering if cleaning harts dog shampoo works wonders, if dressing and butchering three is a verity of books out there, I have the firefox books 1 though 3 , they show how to butcher a hog in them and most animals have the same parts, although the hide comes off with different Resistance, A rabbit will fall out of its skin a sqirrel will need to be pried from its skin

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I got a DVD at Meijer for 10 bucks in the outdoor secion next to the ammo on cutting/cooking deer. It used to be a VHS but the quality is good and it is very informative, my DVD player is acting up so I have only seen the parts on feild cleaning and cutting it up. It is 4 hours total...... worth the buy. Yeah it is not in person but really good for the basics...... I learned a lot.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    we could go hunting together :dunno: :D

There is a squirrel that hangs out on my front porch who should be a good practice dummy:D I have been wanting to learn to do it and actually see it as all I remember is when I was young watching them. Also, Youtube has some good videos but I am the type who learns by seeing/doing in person.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    all are welcome. always like new hunting buddies.

we demonstrated how to clean a rabbit at last years "wilderness survival class" attended by all INGO members. We had it at Spring Mill State Park. once the ****ers died, it was no problem cleaning them ;)

tip: never step on a rabbits head and pull up on his back legs with muddy boots on a creek bed or a wet log.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    tip: never step on a rabbits head and pull up on his back legs with muddy boots on a creek bed or a wet log.
    That's a funny mental picture!

Usually the DNR will offer hunters ed and advanced hunters ed classes on the cheap, at least they do in MN. My father and I taught for them back when I was high school age. It seems as though you have plenty of offers from seasoned vets here that would likely be FAR more fun.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Are your cleaning or dressing out for butchering if cleaning harts dog shampoo works wonders, if dressing and butchering three is a verity of books out there, I have the firefox books 1 though 3 , they show how to butcher a hog in them and most animals have the same parts, although the hide comes off with different Resistance, A rabbit will fall out of its skin a sqirrel will need to be pried from its skin

I have the Foxfire books 1 through 6, great books. Squirrels are a little easier to skin the sooner you do it after they die. I carry freeer baggies with me and skin them as soon as possible.

I was fortunate to have grown up with two great grandfathers that taught me alot. One was a butcher by trade and with him I learned how to butcher cows and pigs. My other grandfather was the outdoorsman and loved to eat anything wild. He taught me how to clean fish, rabbits, squirrels and other game. He had a fondness for turtle meat so I was able to help him butcher a few turtles. If it walks, crawls, swims, or flys I can get the meat out of it. If you live up in Northern Indian and are unable to take E5RANGER375 up on his offer I would also be willing to go out hunting with you.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A rabbit will fall out of its skin a sqirrel will need to be pried from its skin
    That is my experience as well... I don't squirrel hunt anymore. Too much work cleaning one for so little meat.

Rabbits are a lot of work too, but not terrible if you just take the back-straps and the hind quarters. That way all you have to do is peel the skin off from the front quarters back.

IMHO, larger game is a lot easier to dress/butcher because it's not a small/delicate operation. You can pull the skin a lot harder without tearing it, and the meat cuts are a lot bigger.

Post a location and I'm sure you'll find somebody with an offer to help out. I think I'm pretty far south of you. But I would offer it up next time I butcher. Unfortunately that will probably be next fall/winter.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    once the first one started screaming, i felt bad for the second one that knew what was coming :):

Yeah the fecal matter/pee left by the second one was a good indicator haha.

On another note I realized my Rabbit/Squirel hunting liscense is still good, I doubt my brother still has his .22 though....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom