• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok, I've read a few of these threads, and started thinking of SHTF prep. However, I see a few major problems for my situation.

Me and my 3 year old live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and space is at a premium. I've got some dry goods stocked, canned goods, water. I've only got a couple guns, and ammo, they're easy to grab and go if we have to leave.

As for staying put... Nowhere to store a generator if the power goes out, nor fuel, kerosine, etc. Got a small camp stove and a couple bottles, LP tank in the grill on the back porch...

What can we apartment dwellers do, besides find someone's place to bug out to and stockpile there?

My parents' house is short on room too, but thinking about stockpiling some stuff in the shed or garage if I can talk them into letting me use some of the little space there is (packrats, lol).

Bazooka Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    South Central Indiana
    My friend from work is in somewhat same predicament, he lives in a condo. His new SHTF plan is to try and make it to bug out to my place. I know as far as livestock and garden he has offered to help, either through labor or feed whichever is needed. Maybe you could talk your parents into letting you get a minibarn to "store" stuff in? Just an idea.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    There's an article in an American Handgunner special issue called Reality Check that says something about apartment dwellers. When I get a chance to tomorrow I'll kind of paraphrase what it says. Too tired right now.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Try to find some friends or family who will take you in, if the need arises. Keep a small store of food and water at that location, if you can. It doesn't need to be big- 24 cans of Spaghetti-O's and 6 jugs of water should take care of you for a few days.

Also, realize that the people you are bugging out to, probably won't have enough supplies to support visitors for several days. Bring as much stuff from your home that you can like, toilet paper, soap, shampoo, more food and drinks, pillows, blankets. If they use a kerosene heater, pick up some kerosene on your way to their house.
    Bring whatever you can to help reduce your host's burden of sheltering you.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    If the SHTF apartment living will probably get ugly fast. There will be way too many people close to eachother. I think you should have a plan to get out of there as safely as you can.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If the SHTF apartment living will probably get ugly fast. There will be way too many people close to eachother. I think you should have a plan to get out of there as safely as you can.

All depends on the Neighbors that you have...

I have lived in Apartments before that I would have never thought of Leaving them. The Neighbors in the set of Apartments were that close of a group. We actually started an Apartment Supply Plan for a a two week bug in... :D

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County

I have lived in Apartments before that I would have never thought of Leaving them. The Neighbors in the set of Apartments were that close of a group. We actually started an Apartment Supply Plan for a a two week bug in... :D

Alright, but what about the other hundreds or thousands of people there. That would be my worry.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Alright, but what about the other hundreds or thousands of people there. That would be my worry.

We had a Pretty Large Tornado Event when I was living there.
    Security was actually a LOT easier for us in the Apartment than it was for most of the People living around us in Houses...

We instituted a Security Watch Plan from amongst those of us living in the Building. Actually had 8 People on a Roving Type Patrol around the grounds on 4 shifts. We had up to a 16 man Quick Reaction Force if needed. with out bothering the next Patrol Early... :D

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

yeah, i use to have these 2 chicks that were my neighbors a long time ago in my apartment building and they were super nice. all they wanted to do is get naked and ****. :):

do you have a closet or a shed on your deck or patio that you can store a generator? if the power goes off you could run the generator on the patio or even in the middle of the common area. i wouldnt worry about the noise because no power = emergency. especially with a young child. people can deal with it.

keep as much food and water as you can. but in all seriousness for a long term event, i imagine your apartment complex would force you out due to health regulations. :twocents:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    yeah, i use to have these 2 chicks that were my neighbors a long time ago in my apartment building and they were super nice. all they wanted to do is get naked and ****. :):
    You have got to Love Stripper Neighbors... :yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway:

do you have a closet or a shed on your deck or patio that you can store a generator? if the power goes off you could run the generator on the patio or even in the middle of the common area. i wouldnt worry about the noise because no power = emergency. especially with a young child. people can deal with it.

keep as much food and water as you can. but in all seriousness for a long term event, i imagine your apartment complex would force you out due to health regulations. :twocents:

Depends on how stingy you are about sharing the use of the Genny...
    You can buy a whole lot of Votes to keep you there if you are willing to share the output... ;)

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana

No storage on patio, just a 15x8 concrete slab. Mom and dad have a pretty decent stock of supplies, they just put in a 24x12 shed, but it's pretty much full already. I've got enough food and water here for me and my son for a few days, the biggest problem would be power. So I think our plan would be bug out to my parents, they've got extra sleeping bags (its where i store my hunting gear already), and moms a huge bargain shopper, so plenty of toiletries, all I'd have to do is grab our clothes, our meds, and whatever food/etc. I could toss in the blazer and head out, or if it's too bad (like this ice coming might be) wait for dad in his 4x4.

I don't know any of my neighbors real well here, and to be honest, a couple of them are real jackasses. I think they all know well enough than to try to get into my apartment though, disaster or not. As for the rest of the complex, I don't know. It's not a huge complex, and it's pretty good overall, but I don't know anyone else in the complex whatsoever.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    There were two articles that had bits of advice for apartmentites. The first one, regarding water, is a bit involved but doable. Using your water heater as a last ditch water supply. Shut off the thermostat and gas to it, shut off the incoming water so any outside contaminated water won't get is. Using a length of hose, draining the water heater for drinking/cooking water.

For food, use space under beds for food storage. Fill some storage totes that will fit under a bed with food, rather than clothing, if apartment space doesn't provide adequate storage. Also store food you eat on a regular basis. Dry and canned goods. Rotate them on a first in, first out basis. So the older food gets used and newer stuff replaces what you use.

But a bug out plan may be better. At least in my opinion.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    There were two articles that had bits of advice for apartmentites. The first one, regarding water, is a bit involved but doable. Using your water heater as a last ditch water supply. Shut off the thermostat and gas to it, shut off the incoming water so any outside contaminated water won't get is. Using a length of hose, draining the water heater for drinking/cooking water.

For food, use space under beds for food storage. Fill some storage totes that will fit under a bed with food, rather than clothing, if apartment space doesn't provide adequate storage. Also store food you eat on a regular basis. Dry and canned goods. Rotate them on a first in, first out basis. So the older food gets used and newer stuff replaces what you use.

But a bug out plan may be better. At least in my opinion.

Right, two problems there... Our water heater is shared by either 2 or 4 units, and not accessible to the tenants.
    And my son has a toddler bed, not much storage under there, and I have a waterbed, NO storage there. Great ideas though, I do like the idea of under-bed storage, but no-can-do with my present set-up.

Bug out plan is standing by for us. Checked with dad again tonight, he was double checking their supplies laid in, everything seems to be in good shape in case it does get bad.

Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    At the moment I'm slowly increasing the dry and canned goods as well as increasing the amount of ammo for the guns. Storage isn't much of a problem. A lot of stuff we can put in the garage. Our apartments have a one car garage. So the leaves more storage inside the apartment free for food and other things.

Don't forget the toilet paper.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    when i lived in my old apt. complex we had a hall closet and there was alot of room on the floor in there... i think that power after shtf is pretty important and room should be spared. if you have alot of shoes on the floor then look into the things that hang on the door to store shoes, that should allow room for a good size generator, thats what we where talking about doing in our bedroom.

Top Bottom