• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Lets make a list of final preparations that we are making when you have 24 hours notice for a massive blizzard. This list will be generally geared toward those who already are in the prepping mindset.

I'll throw a few out there.

• Make sure you have plenty of batteries on hand.
    • Top off all of your vehicles with fuel.
    • Fill up all of your portable gasoline cans.
    • Make sure the snowblower/plow is in good order.
    • Have a tow-strap ready for pulling somebody out of a ditch.
    • Stock your house up with firewood.
    • Dust off the generator and make sure it is in good order.
    • Dig out the long-underwear along with boots, mittens, etc.

Add your own suggestions.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    Picked up a couple packs of smokes and some top shelf bourbon . no need already the rest of the stuff. I love to see people running in a statre of panic trying to get that last gallon of milk/loaf of bread . What would they do if there was a real emergency?

PREP 4 ZOMBIES , EVERYTING ELSE IS A PIECE OF CAKE

Last edited:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    We went to the store days ago when they first said there might be a storm.

Also, got me some o' dat zombie defense :):

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Generator is full and ready to go. 30 gallons of gas in cans on stand-by. According to the weather folks I'm in the area to get the most ice in the state.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Picked up a couple packs of smokes and some top shelf bourbon . no need already the rest of the stuff. I love to see people running in a statre of panic trying to get that last gallon of milk/loaf of bread . What would they do if there was a real emergency?

refer back to katrina. They will die slowly because they will wait for someone to come and do all the saving of them. I have no compassion for people who have the ability to help themselves but choose not to. I can be sympathetic for the elderly and sick and other good people who really are trying but cant get that leg up. as for the lazy & dumb people ..... I have NO sympathy at all. at all!

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    PREP 4 ZOMBIES , EVERYTHING ELSE IS A PIECE OF CAKE

Dude, I so need to make this into a morale patch! :rockwoot:

I get the fun of making sure the house is ready to go (the other half did a great job at the store to top off the supplies of food my kids will actually eat) and also prepare a Bug-In bag because I am soooo gonna get stuck at work because of the conditions...

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Well me and my family are staying at a hotel in Cincinnati because the boy has some stuff at the childrens hospital here so we are screwed if anything happens. No gun, no preps nothing just a crappy room and the hospital that is 9mile away hopefully, I don't come home to a totally flooded house because of a busted pipe.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If the power goes out, I'm going to my parents. Which is like three minutes if that, from me. I do not have to take any main roads. They have a generator, and such. I have plenty of stuff here, minus the generator. I do have a propane grill though.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    No real preps for the house are needed. I did order prescriptions to be refilled even though we have enough on hand to last several days of being snowed in.

I did double check my Touareg and put an avalanche shovel in the back in addition to my regular stuff.

We are anticipating being snowed in for at least 1 or 2 days. During the ice storm several years back we were unable to get out for a full 3 days. The joys of living on a rural dead end road several miles outside of town. Obviously we can last for a good amount of time without the road being open, without electricity from the power company, etc. Been through this all before, we look forward to the days when we get snowed in.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    As expected, there arn't any gennys in the city. But unexpectedly, no body knows what a deep cycle battery back and inverter is. Who'd of thunk the shelves would have been completely full of them. Topping off the charge of my 2 new batteries, and I"ve got 2 standard car batteries that I think will hold a charge. They're old, but weren't pulled out of service for being dead. So I've got power, should they run dry I'll hook them up to my car, or go someplace that had power to charge. Got plenty of MRE heaters so I can warm up my canned good. Good on everything else (I think, will find out).
    :rockwoot:Last time I was in a power outage due to ice I didn't even have any preps, was one of them there sheeples and manged. Actually had a blast, it was awesome. Walking down the dark streets on looter patrol with trees crashing around me. This time I"ll just be surfing the net. I'm thinking I'm going to make some bread just in case, bread goes with everything and I wont be able to heat my oven on the batteries, especially not to 500....but I do have some fire wood in my half built shed...just wouldn't want to draw attention to myself. Which reminds me got to got get them bullets nice and shiny for the think icy air! I'm (water) dam near giddy already!

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    we don't have anything and it's our own fault so I just hope we don't turn to cannibalism! lol

I think I have a case of ramen noodles, about 2 gallons of water, 1 can of propane for the camp stove, and a pack of lunch meat and bread.....this should be a long week if we lose power! lmao

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I haven't had to do much. Ran the generator to make sure it was OK. Covered one outside car with a car cover to make getting the ice off much easier. Already had all the gas cans full.

There's 250 gallons of propane and the house furnace can run on the generator if needed. We have a wood stove as a backup. There's plenty of frozen foods in the freezer and cans in the pantry. In a pinch I can thaw the 25 pounds of ribs and fire up the Big Green Egg grille! :D

My only real concern is that if we get a thick coating of ice, there will be lots of damage to the trees. :(

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    I had to get a few gallons of kerosene to keep the lanterns running when we loose power. Stocked up on Coors light , other than that we were already ready. I did take my truck to the top of the hill where our gravel drive meets our access road and covered it with a tarp. If I need to get out I wont be able to get up the hill with any ice. Joys of living in the woods

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Don't forget the TP!

Crap! I knew I forgot something at the store this morning! :xmad: We've got some, and 4 containers of baby wipes if worse comes to worse.

We topped the gas last night, and DH got another propane tank for the grill just in case because we couldn't remember how much was left in the one on the grill.

I'm not afraid of running out of things to keep us fed. Or even warm. I'm worried about busted pipes. And nothing I can do about that.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    As I said in another thread, I have 48 hours worth of propane, plenty of food, water, batteries, and butane for my little 1 burner stove.

As a matter of fact, my wife cooked down 3 deer roasts yesterday and she just finished shredding them up and mixed in some BBQ sauce! Smells YUMMY!:D

Bummer is my daughter's car doors are already frozen shut.:xmad: I was wanting to get it off the street away from all the other dumba** drivers.

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    Crap! I knew I forgot something at the store this morning! :xmad: We've got some, and 4 containers of baby wipes if worse comes to worse.
    I'm worried about busted pipes. And nothing I can do about that.

I've done the baby wipe thing before. Cold and wet! :n00b:

As far as your pipes go, if you have a basement or crawl space, go down there and open a spigot and turn on all your faucets upstairs, the water should drain out of your pipes.

Top Bottom