Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 03A3 View Post
    CarmelHP I guess if nuclear power is such a good thing then it looks like Japan and actually the whole World is worrying over nothing here.
    Could we then equate this situation to the same thing as hearing about a car wreck?
    Nothing to worry about at all. And nope, no chance of it getting worse, let alone ever happening again.
    Freezing in our houses. Lets see....you have a woodburner? Or do you have any wood of your own on your little lot of ground up there in that suburb?
    So 6 billion people are supposed to burn wood? That sounds feasible. It's that kind of Luddite worldview that keeps better, safer reactors from being built. We can't risk decommisioning older, more dangerous water cooled reactor designs from the '50's because we can't get approval or even test newer designs such as molten salt cooled reactors.
    Barack Obama: In your heart you know he's nuts.

"Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome." (Mackay, 1841)

Expert
    Luddite worldview lol.
    Oh well, just keep on toying with the worst thing man has ever invented.

just turned on the tv and another reactor has blown up..... 7 missing from this explosion....I can't see them sending more workers back to the plant. The second explosion was much more powerful. This is getting crazy bad, but they keep saying all is ok.
    "I know of you"

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    just turned on the tv and another reactor has blown up..... 7 missing from this explosion....I can't see them sending more workers back to the plant. The second explosion was much more powerful. This is getting crazy bad, but they keep saying all is ok.

It's preety standard practise for the japanese to put a smile on everything. It's done to reduce panic, not save face. They have already put out a call for outside help.

I know that the "last ditch" effort of pumping salt water into the core is pretty effective, provided you do it fast enough. It's a bit like managing a magnesium fire. My credential in this area was I was stationed on a nuclear sub. I would be interested to know if the japanese reactors run "hot" or "cold". Could make all the difference.

Hindsight my arse, not when you're dealing with a nuclear power plant.
    Not a personal thing directed at any of you, but I know what it means to plan for all contingencies.
    I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you, having been an emergency management planner. With nuclear power, as with any other industrial/chemical process, designers and planners look at the forseeable potential hazards and plan for them. Ideally, there would be a safety procedure in place for every wild contingency the designers and planners could think of, but, in reality, there is always a tradeoff between safety and economic viability. Part of the reason we don't have more nuclear power plants in this country is because the safety regulations laid down for them make them prohibitively expensive to build and maintain (this is not an accident on the government's part).

When the japanese rebuild their power plants, I'm certain they'll plan for protection against this particular hazard, as well as reenforcing their earthquake preparedness measures, but this is the worst earthquake/tsunami in their recorded history, so it's understandable why they didn't forsee this particular issue.
    "When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." Robert A. Heinlein

...just keep on toying with the worst thing man has ever invented.
    The helicopter ejection seat?

www.reveresriders.org

Say no to drugs. Say yes to bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by ATM View Post
    The helicopter ejection seat?
    Reality TV.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    The funny thing is the way they have the self congratulatory circle jerk whenever one of them says something they regard as clever.

Allah u Fubar

INGO Member # 104 jblomenberg16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BumpShadow View Post
    It's preety standard practise for the japanese to put a smile on everything. It's done to reduce panic, not save face. They have already put out a call for outside help.

I know that the "last ditch" effort of pumping salt water into the core is pretty effective, provided you do it fast enough. It's a bit like managing a magnesium fire. My credential in this area was I was stationed on a nuclear sub. I would be interested to know if the japanese reactors run "hot" or "cold". Could make all the difference.
    Actually the Japanese culture is quite the opposite...and saving face is a big piece of what's going on here. My guess is that some of the executives involved right now will probably slide quietly out of public view after this is all said and done as well, perhaps as the result of suicide.

You are correct, though, in that they are trying to cast things as positively as possible to also prevent additional wide spread panic. However, I think any living breathing person that sees explosions at a power plant of any kind, is going to quickly realize that things aren't going as well as they should be.
    Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD. Psalm 33:12

Do kids still play Cops and Robbers, or are they just taught both are equally bad and given a participation ribbon after a rousing game of scoreless Everyone's a Winner Ball? - BehindBlueI's
    Well, gee whiz, if the Government released a nest of ants, roaches and bedbugs into everybody's house, they shouldn't be surprised if people run out to buy bug spray! - Comment on White House concerns over increased gun sales

I think the media is doing what it does best- blowing this out of all proportion. This is not another Chernobyl.
    Fukushima Nuclear Accident – a simple and accurate explanation BraveNewClimate

Master
    i doubt a problem of wrong connectors was an issue.
    because at that level of amps you are often using just the bare end of the cable , clamped into your connection point.

last night i did read a news report that at least one of the hook up points was in a lower level area and flooded..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast