• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Today was our trip to their retail location and factory.It was roughly a 2.5 hour drive.It was well worth the trip.
    fwjair.jpg

34dqz9k.jpg

We where greeted by Joyce.She was very polite and professional.She helped us box and even pick out items.We ended up picking some of everything they make.We asked if we could take some pictures,and where given the ok.
    2q3ojk8.jpg

16hncjm.jpg

2u5f812.jpg

This is around the time we meet Mark and Joe.Brothers in the family owned business(I hope I am getting names correct).I can honestly say I have never meet a more proud business owner.We talked for awhile and mentioned Indiana Gun Owners.He even asked what we thought of his prices(they are very good).We talked a little about the company history and labeling.

Around this time Grumpe took a closer look at the refrigerator section.We where not aware they had this,and had not brought a cooler.Joe(I hope that is the correct name) offered us a cooler.We purchased a few items,including beef sticks.Then everyone present at the time of our check out helped carry things out to the truck.

This is a great business and everyone we meet was down to earth and friendly.The place was clean and well kept.We even had a sneak peek at the production area while using the facilities :) We had a great experience,and will not hesitate to recommend them to everyone we know.

14vl65k.jpg

This is where our shopping experience should have ended,but we only made it around 2 miles before we realized we had a problem.;) It was the beef sticks.We of course had opened them and tried them.These things are just amazing! At 6 for a little over 2 dollars we HAD to turn around and get more.These beef sticks are probably close to half an inch around.Oh yes,you get a picture :)
    2ywz7o9.jpg

I think everyone saw us come back in.We told them the reason we where back was the beef sticks.Joe(again I hope I get the names right)said he was glad to hear that,as that was his department.

Any way.It was a great trip...and we did not forget the......
    1zx9p4i.jpg

In the end I say they have every right to be proud of the family business and they earned a new loyal customer.:patriot:

Welcome to Werling & Sons, Inc.

^^^Link to their website^^^

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Thanks for the report.

Now if I can just find someplace in Indiana that makes buffalo meat sticks & pemmican. Now that's good eatin'.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Thanks for the report.

Now if I can just find someplace in Indiana that makes buffalo meat sticks & pemmican. Now that's good eatin'.

Check you local co-op. I know the one around me has a decent amount of buffalo products (well at least a couple months ago when I was there they did).

Also, might want to call Liechty Buffalo Ranch - LocalHarvest or check localharvest for your zip code.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Excellent write-up. I will have to order a sampler and, if it works out, make a roadtrip for a bulk order.

ETA - Ouch, shipping for four 14.5 oz cans is $9.00.

Last edited:

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Thanks for the write up !! Would you care to share the price of there canned bacon ? I read your earlier post about how Yoders bacon was actually from Werlings, and a case of Yoders is $143 from MREdepot (yikes !). I would love to add some to my food storage, but the price is awfully steep ! Were you able to buy there products by the can at there store or did you have to buy them in cases ?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the write up !! Would you care to share the price of there canned bacon ? I read your earlier post about how Yoders bacon was actually from Werlings, and a case of Yoders is $143 from MREdepot (yikes !). I would love to add some to my food storage, but the price is awfully steep ! Were you able to buy there products by the can at there store or did you have to buy them in cases ?
    $90 dollars a case for the bacon.As you can guess we picked up a few :) Yes you can buy single cans,half cases,or full cases of anything they carry.
    Also of note.They had it in STOCK.We put in an order over a month ago with MRE depot before I found out the story on the bacon and it is still on back order.They expect our order to ship in the next 2 weeks.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Review of our purchases(myself and wife).

1.The bacon most know about(Same as Yoders). The bacon is not as good as fresh bacon,but is much better than precooked store bacon.The shelf life is probably measured in decades.Both could not live without it.

2.The chicken.While not perfect the taste is excellent.I would have liked the pieces to be larger,but make no mistake it is real chicken.We have used it in multiple dishes.The pieces are larger than other canned chicken we have tried,but it is still canned.Both of us would recommend it.

3.Pork.Great flavor.If you need an instant BBQ sandwich this is the ticket.I would recommend it.

4.Turkey. I did not care to much for it,my wife likes it though.I like fried turkey,and this is just to different from what I like.My wife would recommend it,I would pass.

5.Canned Beef.The taste is good.The size of the cuts is excellent.Both would recommend it.

6.Taco filling.Mild taste.I have to spice it up for burritos,that said it works well for a quick meal.Both would recommend it.

7.Hamburger. Next to the bacon this is our favorite product they make.I am not sure of the actual fat content(like 80/20 or 90/10)but it is lean enough for us.We normally buy 90/10.

I think that is about it.We are planning another trip soon.

CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    smokingman,
    thank you for posting this.

could you post a picture of the "nutritional facts" portion of the label for the canned beef?

my wife and i are considering going down to their store to get a few cases, but i'm curious what the salt content is and my wife likes to track the protiens/carbs/fat and vitamin/mineral counts into are planning in our food budget (she went to grad school for dietetics). we'd hate to drive all the way down there and decide we don't want it, if its possible for you to give us a look at a label.

We'll probably get it anyway, because i'd like to have some beef in our long term food storage plans.

thank you.

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    How full were the cans? I bought some of the Grabill chicken and it seemed like the blob of chicken was ind of small compared to what I thought it would be.

45Cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    I need some more bacon (yes, this is a emergancy of gigantic proportions) as my Yoders is running low.

I went to Werlings site and could not find bacon. It's Saturday or I'd just call 'em, did they stop carrying it?

Thanks.

Cat

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I need some more bacon (yes, this is a emergancy of gigantic proportions) as my Yoders is running low.

I went to Werlings site and could not find bacon. It's Saturday or I'd just call 'em, did they stop carrying it?

Thanks.

Cat

I think I remember reading on another post that they sell it but just do not advertise it on their site.

45Cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    You know J, I believe you are correct. I think I read that too and now that you remind me of it I'll call them in the morning. Thanks.

Cat

Top Bottom