• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • piercedjp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I have seen several people say they have stripped down MRE's in there survival bags, but I have no idea what that means. I did a search and did not seem to see an explanation of what a stripped MRE is, so can someone fill me in?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Usually it means to remove all the extraneous packaging so you can carry more of the food parts with less weight. If you try hard you can get to about twice the food in the same amount of weight, but the usual ratio is that with all the packaging and extra utensils stripped out you can get the food of three MRE's into the space and weight of two non-stripped.

piercedjp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Ok, that makes sense, but I have one additional question. I can understand getting rid of the utensils and extra packaging, but dont you need the heater?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    HEATER? I'll have you know that back in the day we ate dehydrated pork patties cold!
    But seriously, there is no "need" to heat an mre, but it is nice.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Ok, that makes sense, but I have one additional question. I can understand getting rid of the utensils and extra packaging, but dont you need the heater?

Need is a relative thing. If I'm on the move, I don't have time to deal with the heater. I usually stick the main meal in my pocket for 10-15 minutes so it least gets a little warmer. About the only ones I couldn't eat cold was the scrambled eggs *shudder*.

My experience setting up a lot of seminars with meal plans is that there are some folks out there who will eat whatever is presented, and there are a LOT of folks who are very picky eaters. Not only are there many foods they won't eat, they won't eat it if the food isn't presented just right, etc.

My philosophy is that if I am hungry enough, anything that does not run away fast enough could be food. I've also travelled enough to learn the habit of "if it tastes ok, eat it, and don't ask what it was."

piercedjp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Thanks for all the info guys, I now realize how truly little I know about this topic, but I am better for having the info.

Top Bottom