Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

LARGE PROPANE TANK
    i am wonder if any one knows on the average how long would a 1000# propane tank last in a 1000sqft. well insulated home, the propane would be used for heating, lighting, cooking and hot water. in a very coservitve manner (WSHTF)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
    LARGE PROPANE TANK
    i am wonder if any one knows on the average how long would a 1000# propane tank last in a 1000sqft. well insulated home, the propane would be used for heating, lighting, cooking and hot water. in a very coservitve manner (WSHTF)
    Depends on how conservative you are with it and many other things. Depends on how many things you run on it and to what extent you run them. If the house is well insulated and your very conservative, only running things when absolutely necessary you should get 9 months to a year out of it. It would be beneficial to have other sources for some of those things as well thus helping preserve your propane as long as possible.

Just FYI, you can buy the tanks used for about $0.50 per gallon. So a 1000 galllon tank can be bought for around $500. You can manifold tanks together giving you an even larger system. So if you had two 1000 gallon tanks manifolded together you have just doubled your capacity. Propane can basically set for years and never go bad so you could fill the system little by little over time as you had the money and once full you would be set for when SHTF.

Also another FYI, ( I used to haul propane for a living, that's why I know so much about it ) the best time to purchase is in the summer. Most companies give rather large discounts to people who buy in the summer because they are not doing much business at all during that time. If you own your tank you also get better pricing than if you are renting your tank from them, usually about $0.30 per gallon less just for owning your own tank. Owning your own tank and filling in the summer can save you somewhere between $0.45 to $0.80 per gallon. That adds up pretty quick with a large system.

Plinker

User Info Menu

thanks for that, I was hoping to get 12 months. I am well aware that there is such a wide scope for this. my hope is to have two 1000# tanks eached piped seperatly to the hide out, just in case somthing goes wrong with one. I do plan on burrying them so they are out of site. where would you look for these tanks used. Do i need to have "PADS" on the sides of these tanks or is that just a money thing for the sellers of the tanks?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
    thanks for that, I was hoping to get 12 months. I am well aware that there is such a wide scope for this. my hope is to have two 1000# tanks eached piped seperatly to the hide out, just in case somthing goes wrong with one. I do plan on burrying them so they are out of site. where would you look for these tanks used. Do i need to have "PADS" on the sides of these tanks or is that just a money thing for the sellers of the tanks?

You can't just "bury a tank" with an above ground tank. You would have to buy an actual underground tank which is constructed differently. Hard to find underground tanks for sale used. You can check with your local propane provider and they might know of some used tanks or they may have some for sale even. If not they can order you new ones but if you shop around you can probably get a better deal. I believe places like TSC, Farm and Fleet etc... sell them so I'd check those avenues also..

Plinker

User Info Menu

Awesome thread. Also if anyone has any questions about "junk" silver feel free to ask me. I have been putting away for years. I also sell large quantities of pre 64 silver at spot price-no premiums...

Expert

User Info Menu

Dave Scamsey

Almost all of Dave's "breakthrough ideas" are borrowed -- without attribution -- from other financial wizards of the past -- H.L. Hunt, Marlin Maddoux, Larry Burkett, and A.L.Williams come to mind. But Dave sells those ideas to subscribers Caveat Emptor whereas the gents mentioned have many of their ideas posted for free access. BTW, "junk silver" used to cost $1,000 per sack. It is now $35,000. Has ammo jumped as high? Yet? Mine has not, but I'm still buying some ea. week.
    Quote Originally Posted by clarky51 View Post
    csaws - I saw you had Dave Ramsey listed. Does anyone else use Dave Ramsey's plan? I know he states to keep it in liquid cash but given the instability of a fiat - just wondering...
    " God Created All Men Equal," Samuel Colt made sure it included women.

User Info Menu

Just FYI, you can buy the tanks used for about $0.50 per gallon. So a 1000 galllon tank can be bought for around $500. You can manifold tanks together giving you an even larger system. So if you had two 1000 gallon tanks manifolded together you have just doubled your capacity. Propane can basically set for years and never go bad so you could fill the system little by little over time as you had the money and once full you would be set for when SHTF.
    Please let me know where you can get used LP tanks for around $0.50 a gal. The ones I've seen for sale recently are usually going around $1 a gal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by czyhorse View Post
    Please let me know where you can get used LP tanks for around $0.50 a gal. The ones I've seen for sale recently are usually going around $1 a gal.
    Well they sell here for $.50 / gallon all the time. I worked for ferrellgas here in east central part of the state and that has been the going rate for the last 2 years on them. If you find someone who has an old tank just setting not being used sometimes even cheaper. An old farmer I used to deliver to bought a 1000 gallon tank for $100 last winter.

User Info Menu

Episode-848- My Presentation at the 2012 Liberty Forum | The Survival Podcast

Lots of info someone mentioned today on this forum.

User Info Menu

Im just not following the whole gold and silver thing. I understand that is has value now and is much better than paper. If "SHTF" like many people say i dont see it having any more benefit than paper. If i say to someone when food is hard to come by, "Ill give you this coin for that protien bar" the answer will probably be no. I still think that commodities such as gas, food, guns, etc. are better investments. Now if you dont think things get that bad and you are using it as an investment tool that i understand.
    love god, love people, work hard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast