Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigus_D View Post
    I am trying to figure out a proper solar / alternative / battery solution. One that I can setup for a reasonable price and expand as needed.

Love having a whole house genny setup on my propaine, but also want an alternative so I can have power without running that 24/7
    Me too
    Member #602

Shooter

User Info Menu

My diesel genset is 24v with 2 12v batteries in series. I put a battery tender junior on both batteries.

User Info Menu

Dependable, workhorse, easy to fix, parts never break, 30,000 to 50,000 hours between rebuilds, no motor electronics, will burn just about any flammable liquid clean or dirty then what you are looking for is a two stroke detroit diesel 71 series generator naturally aspirated. It is the ultimate holy **** did that just happen, well **** a duck we got to batten down the hatches and ride this mother ****er out kind of unit. Case in point, 6-71n's powered my boat. I botched the oil change and didn't get the gasket on the oil filter housing sealed. Motor ran for about 3 hours on 1 gallon of oil after spewing the other 5 and half all over the engine room. Maintained pressure right up until a few minutes before I found a freshly blackened and slippery engine room. Topped it off, tightened the filter and ran for another 20 hours before shutting it down. Engines are designed for continuous duty, with no breaks between oil changes. When you are done changing the oil, toss it in the tank and burn it along with the frier oil, and pretty much anything else that burns but doesn't explode at room temperature. Designed to operate in the theater where cleanliness and quality of fuel was less than reliable. A 1-71 or 2-71 should more than suffice for the average house. I have seen power heads of up to 27kw on the 2-71's. Built so simply that even this kid of a man who never owned a tool in his life could figure out how to break it down and rebuild it without the manual.

Avoid nat gas, go with local storage. Nat gas lines can be severed, punctured, flooded, or turned off against your will. When I lived on a boat at a marina in the boonies (read power went out every time the wind blew sideways) I made it a point to have a weeks worth of fuel to run 24/7 or months (1-2 hours a day) if air conditioning could be done without powering up only to keep the batteries topped off and the freezer/fridge cold.

p.s. You will die before your x-71n motor gives completely out on you and likely will die before any sort of rebuild is necessary in most circumstances.
    Last edited by RoyalTenenbaum; 09-01-2011 at 19:17.

User Info Menu

+1 for the RoyalTenenbaum.. Great "little" genny..

USED 20 KW 2-71 DETROIT DIESEL GENERATOR | eBay

Decent price but shipping from CO might cost a bit.

+1 for Hornadylnl's battery tender setup. I forgot to mention that cause my genny is a pull start..
    Last edited by Icarry2; 09-01-2011 at 19:28.
    TJ
    Don't be afraid of the dark. Be Ready for it!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icarry2 View Post
    +1 for the RoyalTenenbaum.. Great "little" genny..

USED 20 KW 2-71 DETROIT DIESEL GENERATOR | eBay

Decent price but shipping from CO might cost a bit.

+1 for Hornadylnl's battery tender setup. I forgot to mention that cause my genny is a pull start..
    If I had a million dollars to throw around, I would buy a whole warehouse full and trailer mount them to deploy to natural disaster areas for rental.

User Info Menu

A cost efficient starter setup that could be added to as time went on would be a setup comprised of:

2-4 L16 6 volt batteries (don't skimp)
    midgrade inverter at 150% wattage of your anticipated need for essentials (ebay)
    12 or 24 volt alternator (spend a weekend afternoon at the junkyard and get a box of em)
    old push mower motor or the honda 6hp knock offs at harbor freight
    Cables/connectors/mounting brackets scavenged
    You are in business!

A cheap generator that runs only when needed sparing unnecessary idle time when low demand is needed. All on a shoe string, and as you earn more money you can increase the size of your battery bank to suit the amount of down time between recharging you wish. 2 L16s (12 volts) equals about 4.4kw of total storage, or about 2.2kw of usable power between recharges with a 50% discharge cycle.

User Info Menu

I have a tiny Honda 2000i. Its just enough to run a single important unit at a time. Would require switching from refrigerator, to freezer, to HVAC blower (gas heat), to well pump, with enough juice to spare to run a few lights and a radio and or laptop. Its not ideal but I can run it for days with the fuel I keep around for the lawn mower and quiet enough that the neighbors won't know I have it.

Its also small enough to use for non-emergencies which justifies the extra $$$/kW.
    I have two guns, one for each of you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by viiiupndhead View Post
    I have a tiny Honda 2000i. Its just enough to run a single important unit at a time. Would require switching from refrigerator, to freezer, to HVAC blower (gas heat), to well pump, with enough juice to spare to run a few lights and a radio and or laptop. Its not ideal but I can run it for days with the fuel I keep around for the lawn mower and quiet enough that the neighbors won't know I have it.

Its also small enough to use for non-emergencies which justifies the extra $$$/kW.
    If you can afford it, they are fabulous units to keep around. They sip gas when set on eco mode. Honda is the gold standard for both small engine and inverter generators. I have heard enough unconfirmed rumors about other off brand inverter generators to stay away from them.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bigus_D View Post
    I am trying to figure out a proper solar / alternative / battery solution. One that I can setup for a reasonable price and expand as needed.
    Any solar setup is going to be expensive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy View Post
    Use 2 generators with a transfer Switch between them. Run 1 for 24 Hours then switch to the Second Generator, powering the 1st one down for Preventative Maintenance and minor repairs...
    + ∞

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast