• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Share what you know, need to know, wish you had, or don't do what I just did.

I'm trying to pull ideas together. Post pictures or links, and costs if you dare.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Mine is in place but I need the Breaker box & disconnect hard wired in. Should be simple enough for someone familiar, it's straight thru the wall to the generator :yesway:

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Use a transfer switch.
    Get a generator big enough to handle you needs, but not too big that you are wasting fuel running it and only using a small protion of its out put.
    Keep the generator maintained so when it is needed you don't have to work on it.
    Keep battery charged.
    Keep fresh fuel in it (not an issue if running on LP or natural gas).

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Stabil, and turn off the fuel and let it run out of gas after testing so no gas sits in the carb and gets it gunked up.

Store plenty of fuel and have cash to buy extra not credit.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Use 2 generators with a transfer Switch between them. Run 1 for 24 Hours then switch to the Second Generator, powering the 1st one down for Preventative Maintenance and minor repairs...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I bought a used military mep-003a diesel generator. Much cheaper than a new generator that isn't half the quality of mine. I also wired a light on a switch on the line side of my transfer switch so I can look out the window and see if my line power is back up.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Not an expert, I just get paid to play with wires once in a while.

Rotate your fuel, for instance I never leave my genny full of fuel, I know there are arguments for both ways, it's just what I do. It is treated. I drain the winter gas into a can I use for my lawnmower and put fresh treated gas in the genny.

I run my home off of mine a few times a year to make sure everything is still right.

As mentioned, if you buy too big of a genny for the normal low load you have your just going to waste fuel. Stay half to full load.

Keep your load balanced, if you don't know what that means pay an electrician to do anything and everything to your system.

Make sure to change your oil and filter if equipped. Run your genny and let it get warm before you change it. Makes sure to gather and thus remove any condensation inside your engine.

Keep spare plugs, filters, oil, air cleaner, etc. Even if you have two genny's.

Inverter types are more effcient and quieter but cost way more.

Do not run your genny in an attached garage or a garage that will be occupied. CO2 can build up even if you can't smell fumes. Extending exhaust for a small engine may cause problems.

Secure your genny. I use the big thick cable locks that cost about $10. They are hard to cut with those cheap harbor freight bolt cutters where as a log chain or pad lock isn't..

Keep a fire extinguisher near the area it is ran just in case.

Shut your unit down periodically, let it cool and refuel and check oil level. Even if equipped with a low oil level or pressure sensor to shut the unit off. They do fail or go bad..

Keep a log with hours ran, number of starts, maintenance and spare parts, costs and sources in it. Nice place to put the manual. A three ring binder for all of your equipment. When is the last time you changed the oil, when did you last inspect or change the plug, when did you last perform a load test, how much fuel did it burn at what load..

Cover it for storage. Once it is completely cool of course, it will hide it from any persons who might venture into your garage or storage area.

+1 for the light on the incoming line.

Don't run the genny at night.. Even in the winter, if your heating with electical power, fan blower, etc just get up and run it to heat the house up then shut it off and go back to bed.. It's a waste of fuel and wear and tear on the genny. Keeps the neighbors happy and no one will want to steal it.

OH and finally, do not loan it to anyone, especially family who then won't return it and claims it for their own..

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Use a transfer switch.
    Get a generator big enough to handle you needs, but not too big that you are wasting fuel running it and only using a small protion of its out put.
    Keep the generator maintained so when it is needed you don't have to work on it.
    Keep battery charged.
    Keep fresh fuel in it (not an issue if running on LP or natural gas).

Or ensure that it is a good battery.
    IE. Once a quater pull out the gen, run it, make sure everything still works, etc.

Stabil, and turn off the fuel and let it run out of gas after testing so no gas sits in the carb and gets it gunked up.

Store plenty of fuel and have cash to buy extra not credit.

:yesway:

My commments from back in 2008.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ness/12040-shtf_tornando_lessons_learned.html

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I am trying to figure out a proper solar / alternative / battery solution. One that I can setup for a reasonable price and expand as needed.

Love having a whole house genny setup on my propaine, but also want an alternative so I can have power without running that 24/7

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I am trying to figure out a proper solar / alternative / battery solution. One that I can setup for a reasonable price and expand as needed.

Love having a whole house genny setup on my propaine, but also want an alternative so I can have power without running that 24/7

Me too

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My diesel genset is 24v with 2 12v batteries in series. I put a battery tender junior on both batteries.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Dependable, workhorse, easy to fix, parts never break, 30,000 to 50,000 hours between rebuilds, no motor electronics, will burn just about any flammable liquid clean or dirty then what you are looking for is a two stroke detroit diesel 71 series generator naturally aspirated. It is the ultimate holy **** did that just happen, well **** a duck we got to batten down the hatches and ride this mother ****er out kind of unit. Case in point, 6-71n's powered my boat. I botched the oil change and didn't get the gasket on the oil filter housing sealed. Motor ran for about 3 hours on 1 gallon of oil after spewing the other 5 and half all over the engine room. Maintained pressure right up until a few minutes before I found a freshly blackened and slippery engine room. Topped it off, tightened the filter and ran for another 20 hours before shutting it down. Engines are designed for continuous duty, with no breaks between oil changes. When you are done changing the oil, toss it in the tank and burn it along with the frier oil, and pretty much anything else that burns but doesn't explode at room temperature. Designed to operate in the theater where cleanliness and quality of fuel was less than reliable. A 1-71 or 2-71 should more than suffice for the average house. I have seen power heads of up to 27kw on the 2-71's. Built so simply that even this kid of a man who never owned a tool in his life could figure out how to break it down and rebuild it without the manual.

Avoid nat gas, go with local storage. Nat gas lines can be severed, punctured, flooded, or turned off against your will. When I lived on a boat at a marina in the boonies (read power went out every time the wind blew sideways) I made it a point to have a weeks worth of fuel to run 24/7 or months (1-2 hours a day) if air conditioning could be done without powering up only to keep the batteries topped off and the freezer/fridge cold.

p.s. You will die before your x-71n motor gives completely out on you and likely will die before any sort of rebuild is necessary in most circumstances.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    +1 for the RoyalTenenbaum.. Great "little" genny..

USED 20 KW 2-71 DETROIT DIESEL GENERATOR | eBay

Decent price but shipping from CO might cost a bit.

+1 for Hornadylnl's battery tender setup. I forgot to mention that cause my genny is a pull start..

If I had a million dollars to throw around, I would buy a whole warehouse full and trailer mount them to deploy to natural disaster areas for rental.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    A cost efficient starter setup that could be added to as time went on would be a setup comprised of:

2-4 L16 6 volt batteries (don't skimp)
    midgrade inverter at 150% wattage of your anticipated need for essentials (ebay)
    12 or 24 volt alternator (spend a weekend afternoon at the junkyard and get a box of em)
    old push mower motor or the honda 6hp knock offs at harbor freight
    Cables/connectors/mounting brackets scavenged
    You are in business!

A cheap generator that runs only when needed sparing unnecessary idle time when low demand is needed. All on a shoe string, and as you earn more money you can increase the size of your battery bank to suit the amount of down time between recharging you wish. 2 L16s (12 volts) equals about 4.4kw of total storage, or about 2.2kw of usable power between recharges with a 50% discharge cycle.

viiiupndhead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Auburn
    I have a tiny Honda 2000i. Its just enough to run a single important unit at a time. Would require switching from refrigerator, to freezer, to HVAC blower (gas heat), to well pump, with enough juice to spare to run a few lights and a radio and or laptop. Its not ideal but I can run it for days with the fuel I keep around for the lawn mower and quiet enough that the neighbors won't know I have it.

Its also small enough to use for non-emergencies which justifies the extra $$$/kW.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    I have a tiny Honda 2000i. Its just enough to run a single important unit at a time. Would require switching from refrigerator, to freezer, to HVAC blower (gas heat), to well pump, with enough juice to spare to run a few lights and a radio and or laptop. Its not ideal but I can run it for days with the fuel I keep around for the lawn mower and quiet enough that the neighbors won't know I have it.

Its also small enough to use for non-emergencies which justifies the extra $$$/kW.

If you can afford it, they are fabulous units to keep around. They sip gas when set on eco mode. Honda is the gold standard for both small engine and inverter generators. I have heard enough unconfirmed rumors about other off brand inverter generators to stay away from them.

Top Bottom