• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Curious if anyone has any feedback on this product.

Survivadine - Portland Preparedness Center

survivadine-lg__56234_std.jpg

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I'd think a tablet potassium iodate (not iodide) would be more stable and more portable than a liquid formulation. It would also be more divisible if you wanted to strategically split your stores.

I'm sure this product is a good source of iodine, but if you're getting KIO3 for what I have it for, I'd get in a solid dosage form for these reasons.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Honestly what little I do know on the subject this just seems wrong wrong wrong. The tablets (for radiation poisoning) say to not take them longer then 2 weeks (I think somewhere around there maybe a little longer). And I have read of stuff that said there was a liquid version but the same dose period was the same.

I'm no doctor but I would think your thyroid is in your body for some purpose and filling it up with survivadine would prevent it from doing it's job. Nothing might happen to you but something could happen to you also.

I'd rather wait until I needed to take the stuff then be constantly taking it and possibly die.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    It has to be awesome its;

• Deep Mined Iodine
    • Most Pure
    • Does a better Job

Does a better job than what? I'd go with something with a long track record and good reviews if it were for inside my body.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I come from a radiation worker/ nuclear operations background.

The main purpose of iodine tablets/liquid in any form for survival is primarily in the case of nuclear fallout.

NOTE: I did NOT say radiation. Iodine supplements will not save anyone's a$$ from radiation. It is for particulate (that means dust, etc) contamination. (Meaning, the matter itself gives off radiation.)

The body readily absorbs and stores Iodine in the thyroid and other pituatary glands of the lmyphnode system of your body. One of the decay chain daughters of nuclear fission happens to be Iodine 135. It is a highly energetic (meaning it gives off it's own radiation) fission fragment and will absorb into your body readily if it is breathed in, or ingested (you'd be surprised how much dust you might ingest every day). The purpose of this product is to "fill" all of your iodine slots that are available. Essentially, you're filling your iodine tank so that radioactive iodine doesn't fill it in when you encounter radioactive contamination.

So, things to keep in mind:

1) Only take this during a nuclear event. If the bombs are fallin', might be a good time to take it. If you are at Fukushima nuclear plant, it MIGHT be worth it, depending on your physical location and proximity to the plant.

2) Iodine will eventually POISON you if you consume too much.

3) If a nuclear bomb falls to the east of you, and the wind is blowing in an eastern direction, don't take it yet. It is when the wind is blowing towards you from the direction of a nuclear incident that you take it.

Sorry about my rant, but from my background, it's a pet peeve of mine when people start talking about these magic iodine pills/drops that magically shields you from radiation. The only things that will lower risks from radiation is Time, Distance, Shielding. Minimize your time near radioactive sources, Keep your a$$ as far away from it as is reasonable, And if you got some good lead, metal, water shielding and can employ it to your benefit, use it. (ALARA - As Low As Reasonably Acceptable). The media, including the news, tv, movies, etc, spread a lot of uninformed information about radiation/contamination, etc.

If anyone has any questions about radiation, contamination, safety measures, fallout, nuclear war/fallout scenarios, feel free to contact me.

-Navy Nuke Reactor Operator (1998 to 2005), Radiation Worker (1998 to present), X-Ray Tech(lab 2009 to present), and much more for qualifications and expertise.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I come from a radiation worker/ nuclear operations background.

The main purpose of iodine tablets/liquid in any form for survival is primarily in the case of nuclear fallout.

NOTE: I did NOT say radiation. Iodine supplements will not save anyone's a$$ from radiation. It is for particulate (that means dust, etc) contamination. (Meaning, the matter itself gives off radiation.)

The body readily absorbs and stores Iodine in the thyroid and other pituatary glands of the lmyphnode system of your body. One of the decay chain daughters of nuclear fission happens to be Iodine 135. It is a highly energetic (meaning it gives off it's own radiation) fission fragment and will absorb into your body readily if it is breathed in, or ingested (you'd be surprised how much dust you might ingest every day). The purpose of this product is to "fill" all of your iodine slots that are available. Essentially, you're filling your iodine tank so that radioactive iodine doesn't fill it in when you encounter radioactive contamination.

So, things to keep in mind:

1) Only take this during a nuclear event. If the bombs are fallin', might be a good time to take it. If you are at Fukushima nuclear plant, it MIGHT be worth it, depending on your physical location and proximity to the plant.

2) Iodine will eventually POISON you if you consume too much.

3) If a nuclear bomb falls to the east of you, and the wind is blowing in an eastern direction, don't take it yet. It is when the wind is blowing towards you from the direction of a nuclear incident that you take it.

Sorry about my rant, but from my background, it's a pet peeve of mine when people start talking about these magic iodine pills/drops that magically shields you from radiation. The only things that will lower risks from radiation is Time, Distance, Shielding. Minimize your time near radioactive sources, Keep your a$$ as far away from it as is reasonable, And if you got some good lead, metal, water shielding and can employ it to your benefit, use it. (ALARA - As Low As Reasonably Acceptable). The media, including the news, tv, movies, etc, spread a lot of uninformed information about radiation/contamination, etc.

If anyone has any questions about radiation, contamination, safety measures, fallout, nuclear war/fallout scenarios, feel free to contact me.

-Navy Nuke Reactor Operator (1998 to 2005), Radiation Worker (1998 to present), X-Ray Tech(lab 2009 to present), and much more for qualifications and expertise.

Do you have any experience in the field of Nuclear bombs?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Curious if anyone has any feedback on this product.

Yeah, it does its job well. That job is to separate the ignorant from their money.

It's snake oil, and dangerous snake oil at that. Proper thyroid function is not as simple as "overload it with iodine" since too much iodine can be as problematic as too little. The only people who should be taking it as a supplement are folks who have been diagnosed with iodine deficiency (and there's not many of them in the US), and even as a supplement, $60 a bottle is stupidity. As far as "detoxified iodine" and "deep mined" and all the other pseudo-scientific verbiage, it's gibberish.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    @shibumiseeker, Thanks for the honest feedback shibumiseeker, I wasn't in the mind to waste my money on some just was curious..

@GetReadyPortland, you will find that trying to promote your business will not be allowed on INGO without paying to get that INGO Advertiser tag below your name. Just a warning, you may have your posts deleted and get an infraction..

Last edited by a moderator:

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Do you have any experience in the field of Nuclear bombs?

More than you might think. Certainly more than those with the responsibility of simultaneously turning the keys and hitting the big red button.

But not as much as most officers tasked with going through their particular field's war college.

There is a big difference between calculating the kill zones, and kill probability zones of a nuclear blast, and that of a nuclear meltdown/incident, but not as far as the biological and radiological effects goes. The science is still science, and that doesn't change just because one method is a weaponized version of the other.

If you survive the initial blast of a nuclear bomb, and are not killed by the pressure shockwave, and not killed by the acute radiation exposure by being close to the blast, then it all comes down to long term survival with exposure to contamination.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    More than you might think. Certainly more than those with the responsibility of simultaneously turning the keys and hitting the big red button.

But not as much as most officers tasked with going through their particular field's war college.

There is a big difference between calculating the kill zones, and kill probability zones of a nuclear blast, and that of a nuclear meltdown/incident, but not as far as the biological and radiological effects goes. The science is still science, and that doesn't change just because one method is a weaponized version of the other.

If you survive the initial blast of a nuclear bomb, and are not killed by the pressure shockwave, and not killed by the acute radiation exposure by being close to the blast, then it all comes down to long term survival with exposure to contamination.

Can you PM or post a comment here about the type of nuclear bombs. I know there are some that are hydrogen....thats all i know.
    I know some can cause an EMP..... etc.

thX!

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    Can you PM or post a comment here about the type of nuclear bombs. I know there are some that are hydrogen....thats all i know.
    I know some can cause an EMP..... etc.

thX!
    am going to give you some past post i have done on this hope they help pm me if you like if any questions.

this link can help you with history and types:

List of nuclear weapons - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First All uranium extracted from ore is composed of three primary isotopes of uranium these are U-234, U-235 and U-238 natural uranium contains 99% U-238 .72% U-235 and .005% U-234. Note there quite a few man made radioactive isotopes Plutonium-239 is one of them.As a side note for weapon grade fissionable isotopes U-235 and plutonium-239 are used in weapons but to separate the U-235 to make purified U-235 is not a easy task and the waste from this is were depleted uranium come from which is also used for weapons. Now the real danger is not the radiation it self its the particles that are radiation contaminated if breathed of ingested there is no shielding for the living cell when its in the body when in side of the body it is exposed to all radiation (alpha,beta,gamma)it then irradiates the body. In Chernobyl you had a active reactor that was active and exploded from hydrogen explosion in the containment vessel and released fuel rod matter into the area and irradiate the particles in the area which is what killed the people who died there the radiation contaminated particles got in there body's and killed then from the inside out.

Now a nuclear explosion is very much different radiation if there is a hydrogen fission explosive force that would release tritium(hydrogen-3) with a half-life of 12 years and carbon-14 half-life of 5,730 years both are taken up through food cycles and organic matter. and alot of plutonium-239 half- life,000 years when a plutonium weapon is exploded, not all of the plutonium is fissioned, this could never happen with a nuclear energy reactor in a nuclear explosion Thereare over 300 different fission products that may result from a this reaction.A nuclear explosion cloud would punch into the stratosphere (which begins 7 miles up) with alot of radioactive debris and fine dust the heaver materials would settle down quickly but the lighter particles would go up to 12 miles in the atmosphere and can remain there in some level for years.easy way to think of it a nuclear weapons explosion make more alot radiation fallout then a nuclear energy reactor accident and in higher radiation burst release. the first minute of a nuclear detonation is the highest but truly doesn't matter because to be in range of that neutrons release your in the blast zone any way ...... your goose is cooked......

(In typical nuclear weapons, only a relatively small proportion of deaths and injuries result from initial radiation).

A primary form of energy from a nuclear explosion is thermal radiation. Initially, most of this energy goes into heating the bomb materials and the air in the vicinity of the blast. Temperatures of a nuclear explosion reach those in the interior of the sun, about 100,000,000° Celsius, and produce a brilliant fireball.Two pulses of thermal radiation emerge from the fireball. The first pulse, which lasts about a tenth of a second, consists of radiation in the ultraviolet region. The second pulse which may last for several seconds, carries about 99 percent of the total thermal radiation energy. And there the EMP burst which most of you know and other effects .......what alot of people don't know is that radiation it self effects electronics and communications systems its called transient radiation effects (TRE ) and that happens in both nuclear explosions and a nuclear energy reactor accident which is why robots ROV failed in Chernobyl and Japan and why alot of electronics fail in plants ......in a nutt shell a nuclear energy reactor accident is small compared to a nuclear explosion .....

as for above ground testing the biggest from the United states was Castle/bravo its short term contamination was 7,000 square miles ..... over 2,000 known nuclear test in the world:

United states 1,054 nuclear test done

Russia 715 nuclear test done

France 210 nuclear test done

united Kingdom 45 test done

India 6 test done

Pakistan 6 test done

North Korea 6 test done

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    How to react ground nuclear explosion

(Anti-flaming troll discloser) Please keep in mind that this is my personal opinion, from experience and training . And I am in no way trying to fear monger .......Please take any information or subject given here in this thread and research it for your self ....

This generation really don't have the all out nuclear war possibility like the last generation . But the risk for a terror attack or a small war with nuclear weapons in one city or multiple city is just as great now and the future.

The threat of a ground nuclear explosion in a large city is something we all should now how to prepare for and know how to react to it . Ok lets say you are in the suburbs of a major city you see a bright flash . Don't look at flash this is harder then you think for alot of people will look out of curiosity, this flash will be bright there is no doubt you will know somethings wrong make your self look down. If you are in the open lay down with your feet to the area you seen the flash .If there is a wall or something very close you can get behind do it, remember thermal radiation travel in a straight line. In both cases you want to cover skin, time is not on your side you may have just enough time to drop down or take cover before thermal radiation hit you.

If its a 1MT nuclear blast the thermal radiation pulse will give first-degree burns (a bad sunburn) at a distance of about 11 miles to exposed skin .Second-degree burns (producing blisters ) at distances of about 9 miles to exposed skin and third-degree burns (which destroy skin tissue) at distances up to 7 miles to exposed skin and the pulse will last for 2.5 seconds. A 20MT nuclear explosion will give first-degree burns (a bad sunburn) at a distance of about 32 miles. Second-degree burns (producing blisters ) at distances of about 27 miles to exposed skin. and third-degree burns (which destroy skin tissue) at distances up to 23 miles to exposed skin and the pulse will last for 6.5 seconds. remember Third-degree burns over 24 percent of the body, or second-degree burns over 30 percent, will result in serious shock, and will probably prove fatal unless prompt burn treatment is given.

One other note cloths color does matter light colors like white ref lets alot of the thermal energy.Now depending on your location to ground zero you have 10 to 20 seconds before the blast wave hits you.Also remember in this time there will be fires from the thermal pulse alot of wood house and objects will be on fire .One finally note on thermal radiation pulse how much heat there was on you and around you and how much items are on fire is around you is a good why to get a ideal how far you are away from ground zero. This is the time you need to find cover and protection from the blast wave you have about 20 seconds find the best protection there is and get to it in that time. alway remember to keep your mouth open for overpressure injury to protect your lungs.About 50 seconds after the explosion, when the fireball is no longer visible, the blast wave has traveled about 12 miles out which is about 784 miles per hour (blast wave speed).

Now were you took protection and you survived the blast wave stay put there will be another wave shortly from the fireball sucking up the oxygen there will be a wave going past you to ground zero that will make the mushroom cloud and pull alot of material up the mushroom cloud to make fallout .Now the blast wave is over keep in mind there will be major damage on civilian building up to 30 miles yes the blast wave put out a the original fire but more will start right away. The primary ignition sources will be flames and pilot lights in heating appliances (furnaces, water heaters, stoves, etc.). Smoldering material from the thermal pulse can be very effective at igniting leaking gas etc.

Ok you survived the blast now we need to think about distance ,shielding,time .......a old Fema saying but true you need to protect your self from gamma rays and neutrons and fallout. If you lived through all this and you were only 10 miles away from ground zero you still will not make it you have had a lethal dose of gamma and neutrons sad to say. at this point you have 15 minutes before full scale fallout rains down on you.Now take note of mushroom cloud location and the damage around you to get a rough guess how far you are from ground zero then you must get wind direction. Side note at ground zero if it was just a 1MT bomb at ground level At the center lies a crater 200 feet deep and 1000 feet in diameter.

If you can get to a better location for protection do so if you can't make it out of area in that time frame you need to shelter in place under ground if possible with alot of shielding above you like concete, dirt, etc. this will be a life or death decision .Like i stated before if you can get out of the area and the fallout in 15 min do so .If not you got to shield yourself from radiation and fallout radiation. You need to mark the outside with information and the number of people inside the shelter so responders can find you make it as big as you can so it sticks out .Also before you shelter in you need to get all the radioactive dust off your hair and cloths use water if you can just get it off you...... also seal of the shelter the best you can from the outside dust like vents etc.

It will take the government response to fully deploy 48 to 72 hours lets face it you wouldn't send in life saving responder until 24 hour for two big reasons first the responder lives and ability to do there job second in 24 hours those who wouldn't make it no matter what will have died . the resource's can be used on those who have a chance on making i know that sound evil .... its just a sad fact. fallout will build up out side which will increase radiation penetration of you shelters shielding remember you may not get rescued until 72 hours or longer.

Remember if you shelter in in the effected area rescue team getting you out of there and sending you to a Decontamination area and then treated for radiation sickness will be the only thing to save your life. The other problem will be water , food and injury's cuts, burns. as you are waiting for rescue water heater good source for water .sinks etc .water is a must . SO in closing if you live through the blast remember distance,shielding, time...........if you can get away from area before fallout do it if not shelter in with as much shielding as you can find .......make it easy for responders to find you so you can be rescue in the time you need to survive through the event.

as always here some research links:

http://www.nationalterroralert.com/nuclear/
    http://www.fema.gov/areyouready/nuclear_blast.shtm
    http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/usa/do...fm8-9/1ch4.htm
    http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Nwfaq/Nfaq5.html
    http://emergency.cdc.gov/radiation/emergencyfaq.asp
    http://undergroundbombshelter.com/radiation-fallout.htm
    http://emergency.cdc.gov/radiation/shelter.asp
    http://emergency.cdc.gov/radiation/nuclearfaq.asp
    http://www.fema.gov/hazard/terrorism...u_protect.shtm
    http://www.atomicarchive.com/Effects/effects1.shtml
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/in...ke-thermal.htm

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    whats are goverment response?

Ok first lets get to the basics if there is any NBC event here in the US whats are government response? It would be called CBRNE event which stands for Chemical, Biological, Radiological,Nuclear, and High-yield Explosive Response. This response would be direct from the President and DOD (Department Of Defense) then falls under the Homeland security shield ......and that a big shield .......Under the DOD umbrella WMD-IST ( Weapons of Mass Destruction-Incident Support Team) and SMART (Special Medical Augmentation response teams) would respond, then FEMA,CDC, and all the other federal agency that fall under the shield of Homeland Security to many to list ...lol take the time to look for your self there's alot. You may then ask well what is the government response here it is in a nutt shell........

. providing medical care to casualties at the incident casualty decontamination site

. supervising decontamination process

. identifying suspect chemical,biological, or radiological materials used in event

. Setting up preventive measures to prevent spread of contagious agents

. managing ,triaging, and treating mass casualties

Top Bottom