• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Well it was rough but I managed a professional teacher for a canning class.This was not all that easy as it is though the annex office and there next scheduled class was May lol.The instructor is going to give the basic class with extra emphasis on pressure canning as it allows you to can a lot more varieties of food.ohhh but wait there is more :) It is FREE as she is doing this out of the kindness of her heart and not charging anything(the normal cost is 150 dollars per person).She can handle a class size of up to around 40 people. It will be done at Hopewell school off of 144 just west of Franklin.She is checking on class room avalablity and has set a date of January 20th at 6:30 pm. The pm was by my request and is well past normal hours for her,but she understood that most could not make a day class.The class runs aproxamatly 2 hours.All those interested please post here.I doubt more than 40 would want to attend,but I could be wrong so just in case the first 38 who sign up get in(the other 2 being myself and grumpe of course :) The lady giving the class seems very nice and I was thinking of getting her a gift card to one of the steak restraunts near by if anyone wanted to chip in it would be nice.

A side note: If you CC remember this is a school.

Also after I was thinking of setting up a short meet and greet for anyone who wanted to be in the Johnson county mutual support group,we can set up another meeting for that specific group for another time.
    Those attending so far.
    Smokingman and grumpe
    Chef(2)
    Panama(2)
    bwframe(possibly)
    66chevelle
    gage
    csaws(2)
    SirRealism
    DrFalen(2)

Plenty of room left.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Well it was rough but I managed a professional teacher for a canning class.This was not all that easy as it is though the annex office and there next scheduled class was May lol.The instructor is going to give the basic class with extra emphasis on pressure canning as it allows you to can a lot more varieties of food.ohhh but wait there is more :) It is FREE as she is doing this out of the kindness of her heart and not charging anything(the normal cost is 150 dollars per person).She can handle a class size of up to around 40 people. It will be done at Hopewell school off of 144 just west of Franklin.She is checking on class room avalablity and has set a date of January 20th at 6:30 pm. The pm was by my request and is well past normal hours for her,but she understood that most could not make a day class.The class runs aproxamatly 2 hours.All those interested please post here.I doubt more than 40 would want to attend,but I could be wrong so just in case the first 38 who sign up get in(the other 2 being myself and grumpe of course :) The lady giving the class seems very nice and I was thinking of getting her a gift card to one of the steak restraunts near by if anyone wanted to chip in it would be nice.

A side note: If you CC remember this is a school.

Also after I was thinking of setting up a short meet and greet for anyone who wanted to be in the Johnson county mutual support group,we can set up another meeting for that specific group for another time.

This is a great idea! Thanks for setting it up! Remember to add an entry to the INGO calendar for it.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I think this idea is funny
    This was just common knowledge in both sides of my family & friends.
    When I was growing up we used to have canning parties at our house & others houses.
    We had 3 acres of garden when I was a kid & we put up almost everything
    My dad loved to fish also on Lake Michigan my mom would even can his fish.
    Funny how in one generation most of this infomation is lost
    I can't tell you how many hundreds of jars I smashed a few years ago as I
    could not find a single person interested in them

Farmritch

Farmritch

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    +1 Farmritch although it isn't so much funny as it is depressing.:rolleyes:

I can't fathom not knowing such basic things. I finally broke down last spring and bought a second pressure canner (something I should have done years ago) because 1 just couldn't keep up.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I think this idea is funny
    This was just common knowledge in both sides of my family & friends.
    When I was growing up we used to have canning parties at our house & others houses.
    We had 3 acres of garden when I was a kid & we put up almost everything
    My dad loved to fish also on Lake Michigan my mom would even can his fish.
    Funny how in one generation most of this infomation is lost
    I can't tell you how many hundreds of jars I smashed a few years ago as I
    could not find a single person interested in them

Farmritch

Farmritch
    Agreed it seems odd to me as well. My grandparents used to can everything.However I never learned how to,and my mom canned only acidic things(water bath no pressure canning).So yes in a generation the knowledge is almost gone. I know there are some people that still can.I set up the class because I have almost no idea how to pressure can and could not find what I considered a reliable teacher among friends and family.My neighbor did offer to teach me what she knew,as she has canned for beans for years....but she sold EVERYTHING in a garage sale she had for canning and said she just did not have time to can anymore. For Christmas this year I got grumpe a pressure canner(among other things lol).The only local place I found that even carried them year around was Ace Hardware(brand new store just south of Greenwood).This class should give a person with no knowledge a pretty good footing to starting canning on there own.I plan on at least a 1/4 acre garden this year:D

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    At the link provided below, go to the search bar and enter canning ------ with the ------ being whatever it is you want to can such as corn, beans, fish, etc. and it will offer many different recipes for each subject with a detailed explanation of the how-to's of each subject. If you own a pressure canner you should have been supplied with the basic instruction manual. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to become an expert.

Cooks.com - Recipe Search and More

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    At the link provided below, go to the search bar and enter canning ------ with the ------ being whatever it is you want to can such as corn, beans, fish, etc. and it will offer many different recipes for each subject with a detailed explanation of the how-to's of each subject. If you own a pressure canner you should have been supplied with the basic instruction manual. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to become an expert.

Cooks.com - Recipe Search and More

Canning is something that you really should be careful with. There are mistakes that can be made that can end up with either a few days on the toilet with a bucket in front of you, or worse (like hospital/dead). Those cases are mostly with meat, but canning is a real deal that you need to be careful with because Botulism is not your friend.

It's like reloading. You can learn from a book, but you will learn better from a person. And if you make a mistake reloading, how bad could that go? If I weren't working that night, I would go. If you can go, go.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Just a thought
    Check the farm stores TSC Fleet & Farm etc. for supplies
    Canning supplies are out of season but you may still find some.
    Also check some of the Amish stores I know there are Amish all over the state
    I suggested a few people go to E&S sales in shipshewanna if they were attending the gunshow there
    they sell in bulk.

Farmritch

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Canning is something that you really should be careful with. There are mistakes that can be made that can end up with either a few days on the toilet with a bucket in front of you, or worse (like hospital/dead). Those cases are mostly with meat, but canning is a real deal that you need to be careful with because Botulism is not your friend.

You stand a many, many, times greater chance of contracting such a problem while eating at a restaurant than by eating home canned foods. People tend to take greater care when being self sufficient than the worker in the meat packing plant or the cook that slops the public.

It's like reloading. You can learn from a book, but you will learn better from a person. And if you make a mistake reloading, how bad could that go? If I weren't working that night, I would go. If you can go, go.

Here again I totally disagree. When being taught by someone else you learn to parrot their actions which includes their faults. If you don't have the cognitive abilities to read, comprehend, and implement on your own, and then expand on those learning’s, you're destined to fail at all you try.

BTW; neither of the above undertakings require any special skill other than basic common sense.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    We are lucky here I guess, my mother has canned from the garden ever since I can remember (Iam 51) plus made fresh home made veggie soup which she canned. My wife.daughter and daughter in law have all asked her to hand down her methods of canning which originated in Kentucky.
    We are planning on a large garden that will serve all of my immediate family this spring and have even considered fencing off about 4 acres and getting a couple head of beef. Have never tried to can meat but talking to some of the elders back in Kentucky they seem to like the ol' smoke house method for meat. I am going to do some investigation into this and see what I come up with.
    I guess now is the time to begin planning just in case Right? After all our ancestors survived with these methods over several generations along with making alot of other consumable products (including drink!!!)

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Have never tried to can meat but talking to some of the elders back in Kentucky they seem to like the ol' smoke house method for meat. I am going to do some investigation into this and see what I come up with.
    I guess now is the time to begin planning just in case Right? After all our ancestors survived with these methods over several generations along with making alot of other consumable products (including drink!!!)

Kentucky canned veggies, some smoked meat, and some copper tube libations? How can that even be considered SHTF? I mean who cares about zombies then... :D

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Is there any nearby parking that isn't school property?

There is a church just to the east around a hundred yards or so. This is out in the country, not much traffic. The school really isn't used much anymore. :twocents:

Forgot to add there is a old cemetary nearby. :nailbite:

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Here again I totally disagree. When being taught by someone else you learn to parrot their actions which includes their faults.

This reminds me of a story I heard. A woman always cut off a slice of her turkey before she cooked it. When asked why, she said that is what her mother always did. This made her ask her mother why she did it and her mother said the same thing. They asked grandma about it and grandma said she did it because it was always to big for her oven.

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    This reminds me of a story I heard. A woman always cut off a slice of her turkey before she cooked it. When asked why, she said that is what her mother always did. This made her ask her mother why she did it and her mother said the same thing. They asked grandma about it and grandma said she did it because it was always to big for her oven.

And while I could insert a joke here about the BigCraig and the build party :): I will say that what I learned from him and the other teachers was far better than what I would have learned from Arfcomm and 10 minutes worth of work by myself.

In my experience of learning, what can be learned from people in the know is always better than what you get from a book or downloaded from the internet. The difference is enough to make a class a worthwhile opportunity.

And, I can say that I have been at the bad end of some bad food, so I do take the canning thing seriously. I never want to do that again...

Top Bottom