• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I was just wondering if anyone else on here puts aside extras for use as handouts if the S ever H the F.

Having spare items, like extra bottles of water, food, first aid kits, flashlights, batteries, even rifles & ammunition, etc to handout to neighbors as needed has always been a part of my preparedness planning.

Granted many preppers would prefer to keep their provisions a secret as to avoid any potential confrontation w/desperate neighbors banging on their door demanding XY or Z because their kids are starving to death or something.

I can understand that, but I personally believe that my own family's survival also depends on my neighbor(s) survival, essentially what I am saying is that the more folks that I can field under my banner so to speak, the better the chances are that we all will come out of the S that H the F.

Or am I just being naive?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have several spare firearms (including some Mosins!) and extra ammo/pouches for neighbors/team members, lots of batteries, extra food, FAKs and water filters.

I have been thinking of who I know that I would want on our team, and have approached several already. More concrete plans are needed, though.

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Maybe if I lived in a different neighbor hood I would. Most of my neighbors are as useless as a boat in the desert. They think a days work is the end of the world.

Zero_ek

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    Alexandria
    I keep a few things extra for a couple friends if they can make it to my place in time. Extra ammo and stuff split between my brother and I. Slowly working on other stuff.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Charity is an important part of prepparation, I believe. I am not going to hand out AR's (that's what SKS's and CZ82's are for:D), but small amounts of rice, beans, water, first aid, etc. go a long way.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have a really cheap crappy set of basic tools I hand out whenever people in the neighborhood beg to barrow tools, does that count?

trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    I have a really cheap crappy set of basic tools I hand out whenever people in the neighborhood beg to barrow tools, does that count?
    Same here, I think it would count. I only loan nice tools to people who bring the crappy ones back, and seem to know what they're doing. Is it inconceivable that if I borrow something, I should be responsible enough to bring it back? :xmad:
    I have some food, but no weapons are getting loaned out. If they have so little foresight that they can't be bothered to get a LTCH, why the heck would I loan them a knife? But then, most people in my neighborhood are "sheep", and would be the first ones to a Red Cross shelter. Ugh. Even my kids would rather sleep in my car.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Same here, I think it would count. I only loan nice tools to people who bring the crappy ones back, and seem to know what they're doing. Is it inconceivable that if I borrow something, I should be responsible enough to bring it back?

Lol. A mechanic I worked with in the Army spray painted his extra tools pink. Sockets, wrenches, everything. They always came back.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'd have to really know and trust a person before I'm giving them a firearm that could be turned on me and my family.

I am all for helping out with food, water, medicines, etc...

I have a great neighborhood with some really great neighbors I consider friends so I'm blessed. AND, they have their own guns :)

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I would say everyones charitable nature will be greatly effected by the situation, people involved and the truly needy..

I believe in pay it forwards.. I have been on both ends of them and think that one reason our country and our race is in trouble is because of selfishness in one form or another..

If you figure in your charity and hand outs you may make yourself a leader.. People will fight and stand up for those who feed them... shelter them... protect them...

Just my thoughts and I don't know anything..

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Well there seems to be a couple different main schools of thought when it comes to prepping for a post-STHF scenario.

The first school of thought seems to be very isolationist in nature, where everyone outside of their immediate group is considered a potential threat or at the very least a potential drain on their resources.

And then there is the second school of thought, which is more social in nature with folks banding together in order to share security, share resources & share the task of rebuilding, etc.

As far as loaning out firearms goes, if in a post-SHTF scenario where law & order breaks down and crime is rampant, folks will need access to the tools to be able to protect themselves and their families.

I have no qualms about loaning out my firearms under such conditions, granted I won't just go around handing them out all willy-nilly to everyone milling about on the street, but if someone whom I know needs one, I wont hesitate to offer to lend them one.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Depends on who it is, what the situation is, and what they need.

I have way more firearms than I could ever carry, so I have plenty of extras for specific people if needed. (I am not giving just anybody a gun!)

I would not deny first aid to somebody in need.

Length of the crisis would come into play as well. I would help for sure if I could, but I would not sacrifice my familiy's well being because somebody else wasn't smart enough to prepare. Not trying to be mean, but my family and the people close to me come first as that is what I am preparing for. If I am able to help anyone else I surely will, but there are certain factors that will make the decision.

Top Bottom