When it's time to bug out it'll be too late won't it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    I mean really? I'd love to make it to my Grandfathers in the U.P. MI. 180 acres, no neightbors, all vacation homes. But when I picture the road blocks and traffic jams, lack of gas, burning twice as much fuel from the stand stills. Trying to dodge looters, trying to fool military personal into thinking I have no firearms. The chance of firefights with kids in car. It seems pointless in planning. I feel by the time I realize we won't make it. Just a rant, no point in the thread. But do others feel this way? That is what i wonder

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    the only chance you really have is if your bug out location is very close or somehow you get enough warning to make the choice to go before it hits the fan........... information is power

jake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    The hope (in the event of true TEOTWAWKI) is that you are paying attention and seeing signs before the event destroys society so that you can bug out beforehand. Obviously a sudden disaster wouldn't permit that, but most social, economic, and political/military upheavals have many stages they go through before Schumer gets within smacking range of the fan.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    You seem to be describing a TEOTWAWKI. SHTF/prepping comes in many grades. Lost power due to a tornado or major snow for 4 days. How do you cope? House burning down? Do you have a bag with some key items to grab as you leave? City water is declared unsafe for a while due to contamination? What alternatives do you have available?

In the event of a bug out situation, one key will be to not be in denial about it. If you wait and see if it really is all that bad, it really will be and then you will have a harder time making that trip.

Last edited:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I don't think that it's pointless to be prepared, I mean like Phase just mentioned not every possible or even likely shtf is going to be an end of the world scenario, most of them are relatively minor, localized shtf events.

Power outages, droughts, blizzards, stuff like that wouldn't involve summoning your inner Mad Max in order to survive.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Good question. I have been working on more than one plan depending on how the SHTF happens. On one extreme there is a natural or manmade disaster that wipes out huge population centers and disrupts everything on a national level overnight. On the other extreme there is the long slow slide into the crapper that gets worse every day and one day you must act. Two different plans are required.

There is a third plan that requires learning Mandarin Chinese but I don't like to think about that.

Maybe we should all have 2 or 3 planned scenarios and responses.

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I agree it will be too late for most of us. That is one reason we are planning on sitting tight for a while. But if it holds long enough we will move to out Bug out location

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Cosider different BOL's. And getting to the UP in stages. It's smart to have places along the way to stop, cashe's of needed items, different routes, consider all modes of transporation..

More importantly consider moving closer....

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I agree with Phase2. Not all shtf are the same.
    That's like saying "I'm not carrying because a mad person might go into mcdonalds and shoot ME first"

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The biggest proplem to me is when do you leave your job? Some people will have that decision made for them but others will still have a solid job and will hang around until its to late because of their fear to lose it.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    The hope (in the event of true TEOTWAWKI) is that you are paying attention and seeing signs before the event destroys society so that you can bug out beforehand. Obviously a sudden disaster wouldn't permit that, but most social, economic, and political/military upheavals have many stages they go through before Schumer gets within smacking range of the fan.

+1!

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Most people on INGO and similar sites are tuned in more to trending events then the general population of sheep. The media will wait until the last second to tell the truth and by then, if you are the bug out type, you will have already left.

Knowing when the window of opportunity is open just may be the key to making it. Also, no matter how many books we read on the subject or think through scenarios, it won't go as planned. It never does. Plan to adapt and good luck.

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    The biggest proplem to me is when do you leave your job? Some people will have that decision made for them but others will still have a solid job and will hang around until its to late because of their fear to lose it.

Well if you really want to plan ahead, be saving up vacation days...then when you see things heading down the toilet, take an extended leave or if you company allows it, a sabatical. If the SHTF when your gone, then the job might be over then anyway and your safe in your hideaway.

:twocents::patriot::ar15:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    battle plans NEVER go as intended. you have to be extremely flexible. i know its not very relative, but playing paintball has taught me many things, and one thing is prepare for your first move, know in your head what your secondary moves are or could be depending on what you think may happen. once the whistle blows, you go. from there, nothing happens as designed. you have to adapt to the changing situation, be it field position, body count (up/down on bodies, where those bodies are, do you or a teammate have an equipment problem, how much ammo do you/teammates have left, etc). you have to adapt that battle plan as things progress and i am willing to bet that SHTF is no different from a planning perspective. you know where you want to be, you just have to assess the situation and figure out a way to make it happen, or do something else entirely.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well if you really want to plan ahead, be saving up vacation days...then when you see things heading down the toilet, take an extended leave or if you company allows it, a sabatical. If the SHTF when your gone, then the job might be over then anyway and your safe in your hideaway.

:twocents::patriot::ar15:

And in this, I find particularly interesting (given my occupation). I unfortunately will not be able to bug out like the rest of you. When the SHTF, I expect to be in the thick of it. Me and few guys from my shift, have tinfoiled out a bit, and come up with a plan to save our and our families hides.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I'll second the idea of having multiple plans for bugging out. Having vacations days and/or being willing to take unpaid leave to get out of town is one way to deal with SHTF situations. Another consideration is just what conditions will cause you to decide you need to be elsewhere. You may misread the situation and get stuck, but if you're paying attention you should be able to see the signs that tell you it's time to bug out. You should have a solid appreciation of your and your family's ability to travel (not wishful thinking) and above all else, plan to be flexible.

Top Bottom