• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    Ok I have a few questions.
    1. How do you skin/gut the animals you would find here in Indiana?
    2. Are there any animal parts that are safe to eat raw in a survival situation?
    3. How do you make leather and prepare hides to be made into clothes?
    4. How do you make jerky?
    5. What is the best way to eat smaller animals such as squirrels, chipmunks and such?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    5. What is the best way to eat smaller animals such as squirrels, chipmunks and such?

Ok, you're serious?

1. Small game (ie rabbits) start at the rear legs (don't gut first) cut 'round the "ankles" and down the legs to the bottom of the stomach. Cut across to connect cuts, pull skin down towards head. Chop of head, pull out guts. This much easier to show versus explain.

2. Do NOT eat raw animal meat, unless you are on the verge of starvation. If you do, you have a very real chance of making yourself sick.

anybody else want to take the rest? :dunno:

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I would be interested in info too. Never hunted, other than my bb gun when I was younger.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    while those are good questions, its really impossible to answer them on here. the answers are too long and complicated. youtube, and google my firend is a good place to start. then if you have specific questions maybe we could help

jake

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    The vast majority of wild animals carry a significant parasite load. Eat any part raw and you get to be the next host. I'd rather wait until after I'm dead to be worm food.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    If i skin the animal and want to keep the fur, what is this process called?

I know tanning or brain tanning is used when you want to make leather.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Tanning hide with the fur on is where fur comes from.

Grab a .22 shoot a squirrel or a rabbit skin it and gut it. Use a sharp pocket knife. You will hack it up, and it wont be pretty. Repeat till your good at it.

That's basically how most of started.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Jerky, dry thin strips of meat.

Save the leather making lessons for later. You have more basic things to learn and practice first.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Fathers should be teaching this stuff first off..

But if yours did not, like mine...

Go to the library and read! Then get out in the woods for some self-discovery like mentioned above. When I was 15 I bought a book from Wal-Mart called "Preparing Wild Game", it had some of the most detailed pics gutting and skinning game and showed me a lot. Actually recently I showed a buddy the method I learned from it for deer, and he took something away from it he'd never saw before.

Sometimes the internet is great for research, but it will hardly teach you anything. These skills are learned outside in the woods. I'd Google for some books on the topic, visit the library, and get out there and try it. Youtube is also a great resource for videos on it as well.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I've got a skunk & a squirrel that the dogs killed over the weekend still laying in the back yard if you want to defrost a couple of frozen carcasses to practice on.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    If you would really like to know how to do this stuff get ahold of me. I would be willing to take you out into the woods and show you. Its really difficult to explain on here and there are tricks to all of it.

Also dont eat anything raw, its easy to cook it and save yourself the misery of being sick.

By the way, I'm in the woods almost everyday so its not going to bug me to have someone tag along.

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    If you would really like to know how to do this stuff get ahold of me. I would be willing to take you out into the woods and show you. Its really difficult to explain on here and there are tricks to all of it.

Also dont eat anything raw, its easy to cook it and save yourself the misery of being sick.

By the way, I'm in the woods almost everyday so its not going to bug me to have someone tag along.

That is how you learn! Great job stepping up 1911shooter. Rep on the way.

Now back to the questions. It is best to learn first hand or by video, something like youtube would be great. Read the comments that follow the videos as well. My first suggestion is to learn fire starting. As others have noted, wildgame is best eaten cooked. A mentor is really needed for most of the other stuff you listed. But with a lot of videos and some trial and error it can all be learned. Just way too much to fit into writing.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011

Does that invite extend to everybody?

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Repped ya 1911Shooter,

Hey UDPS there are many great suggestions, I would say no matter what practice does make perfect.

One key note is do not nick any of the entrails and expose the meat to the nasty stuff...

We use a board for some game and when we raised rabbits. It is a 1x10 with a bent up and sharpened peice of #9 wire on it attached with steeples..

Hook the animals rear legs on the wire and skin away..

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg

My :twocents:,

Get with your area MSG, find someone in the group that has that experence, and have a "hands on" session. You'll learn much more by actually doing it. You'll also find out if you have the stomach to do it.

Top Bottom