• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I wear glasses, actually, need glasses. I'm about a -5 in each eye. I am a good candidate for LASIK. This year alone I have spent almost $800 in an exam, glasses, and contacts. I sometimes wonder about the future of my sight if the S were to HTF. Granted I would not go the cheap route for LASIK. I know it costs about $4k to have it done properly, I just always seem back and forth with it. Has anyone else wondered about this?

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    If you can save the money to do it, DO IT!!! Mine was done in 2007 for about $3500 and other than my divorce the same year was the best money I have ever spent. You will LOVE not having to deal with glasses.

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm not a glasses snob by any means but with a -5, nearsighted, roughly in each eye I pay extra for thinner lenses and I don't get the cheapest frames either. I'm 36 now and realize someday we'll all need reading glasses but having never been able to read the alarm clock upon waking this is more and more attractive with each annual payout. I know it's not a forever thing and could need touch-up in 20ish years but I just keep thinking of being able to see in the advent of no professional to correct said vision. I think I know what I'm doing with my tax return.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If you are a candidate. Do it. It will eliminate your need for corrective lenses post SHTF. Also, not having to wear glasses or contacts while doing hard training is a plus.

Fixing something (disease, defect, damage) about your body while you can is always worth it for long term survival.

Do it.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Until you can get it done at least have a spare pair of lenses and a years worth of contacts and solution.

I know some places will let you finace some of it, not saying I would but if you can get it done sooner that way and then SHTF you won't have to pay them off...

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    My prescription doesn't change all that much from year to year so I always keep a couple of my past-year glasses on hand as back ups.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I wear glasses, actually, need glasses. I'm about a -5 in each eye. I am a good candidate for LASIK. This year alone I have spent almost $800 in an exam, glasses, and contacts. I sometimes wonder about the future of my sight if the S were to HTF. Granted I would not go the cheap route for LASIK. I know it costs about $4k to have it done properly, I just always seem back and forth with it. Has anyone else wondered about this?

I wonder about this at least once a month. First thing I am doing is laying in supplies of food and BOB before I worry too much about me. Push comes to shove, first priority is enabling short term safety of my family. Secondary is long term, and lasik would fall into long term IMO.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    My son used to wear "coke bottle" lenses and was hard to fit contacts. Was inconvenient and frustrating. He had the surg and it was an amazing result, really. TOTALLY corrected his vision and made his life a lot easier and also safer on the job.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    For me it is now shoulders. I didn't fix them when I was younger, now I am paying for it dearly. If SHTF tomorrow, I would go to my grave not being able to throw a light weight dog training dummy overhand more than 10-20 yards.

4k for eyes is a good investment. Do it or learn how to make old world glasses yourself. After shoulders and knees I may look into it as well. A gift for old age if it makes sense. Does laskik hold up for 10-20-30 years?

I do wear glasses for distance but most of them time I wear none, my sight has improved in recent years but I do own multiple pairs of glasses. I always have 3 with current scrip and keep my old glasses. I could survie typical HD shootings without glasses.....................and make long range shots using scopes!

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I had a risk factor that precluded LASIK, so I had ICLs implanted. They're a contact lens that is permanently implanted on the back side of the iris. It cost more than LASIK but was worth it. My advise is to make every effort to get your vision permanently corrected. As previous responses have intimated, your vision is a SHTF commodity you can't afford to not have.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    In a SHTF world- If your glasses break, just try the pairs laying around. I wear glasses, so my first choice would be a college campus. Find all the dead Phd's who froze in place when the mobs whose behavior they tried to explain away trampled them, and through trial and error, find a pair that works.

No big deal. Comb through the dorms while you're at it. You might find some good green vegetable matter, if that's your thing.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    LASKIK is top of my list for the coming year. Insurance doesn't cover much if any of it, but I am spending the money anyhow.

Went in many years back and the doctor said I would be trading distance lenses that I wear now for reading glasses. Since I read all the time I chose not to do it.

Now my thought process has changed. Reading glasses are not script lenses and are easier to find. Not to go against what ghunter said, but I have not been able to find someone else's glasses that fit my needs ever. Been wearing them since i was 25.

Just think that it will be easier to find the simpler magnification only lenses.

Bull

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Jennings County
    When I was younger the guys I worked with gave me an Indian name, "Billy thick eyes"
    I had laskik done about 8 years ago and the insurance did not cover a dime of it. Best $3,600 I ever spent.

Gunner52

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    I am 53ys old and nearsighted also. I ran over my glasses a little over a year ago and never replaced them. Went to get my drivers license and took the test and passed without them. I am real grateful.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I need glasses to read, weld and do intricate work only. I do not need them at the range.
    I have several sets of "Readers" in strategic locations just in case I loose my glasses. I have on set of these and my last set of prescription glasses in the BOB

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I've been seriously considering LASIK but that won't happen in 2012 for me. 2012 is getting out of debt for my family.

I did read something recently on homeopathic healing and there's a theory that the reason our eyes are bad is because we don't exercise our eye muscles and they get weak. The article said that doing exercises where you look at things near and then at great distance regularly like doing push ups and sit ups will strengthen your eye muscles and your vision will improve.

Not sure if this will work, it's a theory. Can't remember the name of the magazine but you can prolly google it and find it if anyone is that interested.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    I had the procedure done a couple years ago. I still have to wear glasses. I had a choice of "near sighted" or "far sighted". I chose to go for the "far sighted" so that I don't have to wear glasses when driving.

I have perscription glasses, but also OTC glasses scattered around as well. But, I still have to use a magnifying glass for some things. :xmad:

I also have to worry about the annual DOT physical eye exam. (close to the edge on vision) :rolleyes:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My vision is not quite bad enough for Lasik, and contacts make my eyes itch. Anyway, I'm used to the extra layer of protection my glasses provide. So I've saved all my old pairs and keep spares in vehicles and BOBs. They all still work pretty well. And no operation will help my presbyopia.

kybares

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    check out zennioptical.com the prices for glasses there will simply blow you away. You can get your prescription glasses there for less than cheaters at Wally World. The most expensive titanium, with progressive lenses comes to less than $60.

Top Bottom