• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    FOR THE RECORD I HAVE A BOB, I just found this and thought I would share.

Criticism:

While many preppers or survivalists feel that having a BoB (Bug-out-Bag) on hand is a requirement, others in the survival community feel that having such a bag does little more than provide a false sense of security[11] . Arguments against spending significant resources on creating and maintaining a BoB typically focus on the impractical nature of actually using a BoB for its intended purpose (i.e. to "get out of Dodge") and the fact that the vast majority of preppers have little to no field time with their BoBs. There are prevailing arguments that many bags contain large amounts of heavy gear that would do little more than slow down the survivalist and that most BoBs have never even seen as much as two miles of trail time, let alone days of survival. Unfortunately, water is a key component of survival kits that contributes to their weight. Water weighs 1 kg (2.2 lb) per liter. Many experts recommend you carry up to 4 liters, or about 1 gallon, per person, per day.
    Off-the-shelf Bug-out-Bags can be cost effective and well designed to reduce weight. As with any product whether purchased or self-made, one should use it to ensure that it will hold up in conditions for which it is intended as well as to familiarize one's self with the equipment.

Its food for thought. :dunno:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It's not a requirement, it's simply one of the tools that a person may or may not choose to use, and like any tool, knowing how to properly use it and when is paramount. I know lots of survivalists who have plenty of stuff that they have no idea how to use efficiently.

I really hate these "criticisms" that I see from time to time in this vein dismiss an item or a concept outright without really having much actual discussion as to their position. It seems to be human nature that whenever something becomes popular or widely known, you'll have a contingent that feels they have to pass off their superior abilities by these types of dismissals. I know that bit made a nod to actually using the equipment to familiarize oneself with it, and I agree with that, but it was poorly written and poorly thought out and as a critique it was less than useful.

Me, I just see it as another dimension of the mall-ninja personality. Anyone who really trains for the conditions they feel they may likely face will already know what kinds of gear works best for them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At my age the BOB exists to throw in the available vehicle and Bug out. I could do 2 miles
    with it but my wife could not hump 2 miles at a mall with out sitting down...Medical issues.
    We have done dry runs in the woods with the basics. It was really fun but we knew there was comfort at home.
    If it were not an act of nature or a house fire, we are sitting tight until the group gathers.
    You would be surprised what a person running for their very life could do at least for a day.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    Something is always better than nothing, No a BOB will not have everything that you need but its better than just the shirt on your back. We have them but our plan is to sit tight for a while and let things shake out before deciding to bug out. Bugging out is our last resort because in our case staying put on our property serves our situation and family better. If I were in your shoes living in the city........I would get out of dodge quickly! Just my :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The city will be a dangerous place for sure. We have BOL 1 and 2 but will also let things shake out before leaving. My house is the focal point in our plans so all will be gathering here. Once gathered, loaded (if possible) then we will decide on what to do. We are very well armed and ready for whatever but prefer not to be put in that situation.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I'm with you, We have to many recourses here on site and strategically we are in a great location in my opinion, but its always good to plan otherwise just in case....never know what the situation will be!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    3 letter acronyms are some of the dumbest **** I have ever seen in the history of mankind. Most of it comes from computer queers but gear queers jumped right on too.

A pack is a pack is a pack is a pack. My packs don't have names or acronyms.

A brick is brick until it is a weapon. It is a weapon when I use it to bash your head in but it is still called a brick.

I have had a real pack since I was age 9. At 48 I now have many packs. I use them in my daily life, to enjoy my leisure time and hobbies and to even carry stuff too. Go figure.

Whatever I am doing at that moment be it bobing, weaving, shucking, jiving, diving, hiking, hunting, fishing, boating, dog training, camping, E&Eing, biking, snowmobiling, road triping or running from the man, that is what my packs are for.

My BOB is a 4wd. (when talking amongst my friends in the real world I just call it my truck)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK, you win, I have 2 "ALICE" packs, 2 regular "Back packs"..I am no gear queer but I love all my gear. I have 2 4WD Trucks and a lot of freaking guns with even more Bullets, ammo or shells.
    At 62 I am still active but do not do a lot of shucking little if any running although I still like to jive. Gave up running from the man so I just hide.
    Wow, I feel better now. Thanks

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    For those sitting tight for a bit: how great is your concern for road closures/checkpoints/etc?

For me, Im not too concerned about road closures or check points. We have 8 different escape routes planned and both of our BOL's are not on any main route, are about an hour away from them by car so if we had to treck it on foot and off the roads we could. I'm sure it could play into being inconvenient and taking much longer to get there, but I would rather sit tight and do recon on the situation for preparedness than be caught up in the poop factory and off guard. Again, we are situated were we have plenty of land for growing food and livestock, water, etc. We are in the suburbs but out just enough with plenty of land to sustain ourselves with clear vantage points in all directions for defense and security from posts already planned. I didn't pick our current location at the time for preparedness, but I have tried to analyze every part of it and have found it to be an ideal place for our family, other preppers within our family have agreed. Bugging out has its purpose and it is a valid purpose, most of our family will have to bug out immediately because of their locations in the city etc, so road closures and check points will be much more of a concern to them, however again we have multiple routes off of main roads and highways in order to get them to our place. We can only do what we can do, and we know and accept that some of our family will not make it because of their choices or the choices and actions of others, but as things settle down they will make it one way or another.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are totally back road escape routes. Avoid all interstates and main drags. I service all the cell sites in Indiana for 2 of the major providers so I know most all the back ways around the state.

Quad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    For those sitting tight for a bit: how great is your concern for road closures/checkpoints/etc?

I would be concerned if not for the fact my BOV is a 4X4 that sits pretty high off the ground. I'm confident that should the need arise I would be able cut through a field, or traverse a broken road if I had to.

Not so sure about those who choose to use a Honda Civic or equivalent for a BOV. And yes I have talked to those who see no problem with that sort of thing.

Last edited:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I would wait to see how things shake out. I live outside the loop, but not far enough, I live very close to a couple of suburban ghettos, and security would be an issue. Bugging out could pose a problem, as far as getting to a back road due to closures/checkpoints/stupid, but I have a 4wd, so that would be beneficial.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    FOR THE RECORD I HAVE A BOB, I just found this and thought I would share.

Criticism:

While many preppers or survivalists feel that having a BoB (Bug-out-Bag) on hand is a requirement, others in the survival community feel that having such a bag does little more than provide a false sense of security[11] . Arguments against spending significant resources on creating and maintaining a BoB typically focus on the impractical nature of actually using a BoB for its intended purpose (i.e. to "get out of Dodge") and the fact that the vast majority of preppers have little to no field time with their BoBs. There are prevailing arguments that many bags contain large amounts of heavy gear that would do little more than slow down the survivalist and that most BoBs have never even seen as much as two miles of trail time, let alone days of survival. Unfortunately, water is a key component of survival kits that contributes to their weight. Water weighs 1 kg (2.2 lb) per liter. Many experts recommend you carry up to 4 liters, or about 1 gallon, per person, per day.
    Off-the-shelf Bug-out-Bags can be cost effective and well designed to reduce weight. As with any product whether purchased or self-made, one should use it to ensure that it will hold up in conditions for which it is intended as well as to familiarize one's self with the equipment.

Curious where you found the info. I have packs, I have said it before to me they are every day carry and an E&E setup but thats just me..

I won't go into any sort of detail about what my plans are as they actually depend on what is going on around me and thus dependant on that for sure so I wouldn't know which senario to refer to but basically all things that can be considered and preparations made for have been, at least from what I know.

As for using the gear, I actually agree about some of the comments. Many, if not most have probably never lived out of their bag or relied on it for more than a bandaid or asprin..

Honestly if you can't walk out of your house with what you can carry 10 miles a day for a month and live then you might as well stay put and defend..

Just one idiots opinon..

Hope you are all well,

TJ

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    None. Zero concern. I drive a 4wd BOB (truck). In it I carry detailed maps, compass, binos and mad nav skills. Have circumvented a few in my day. Any chance you get to skirt one you should do it, good practice.

It does however require a full tank of gas and being sober. Most people reading this have less than 1/4 tank in their BOB Truck as we speak.

You should have the tools onboard needed to dismantle a guard rail. Park by one some time and eyeball it, it was assembled by human hands, it can be undone.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    We are totally back road escape routes. Avoid all interstates and main drags. I service all the cell sites in Indiana for 2 of the major providers so I know most all the back ways around the state.

I wasn't aware Speedway had back roads. Not to mention it is surrounded by crime infested neighborhoods.

The article mentioned is just another way to detour the masses from being prepared. Big brother wants you to be helpless in shtf situations so you will be easier to control.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wasn't aware Speedway had back roads. Not to mention it is surrounded by crime infested neighborhoods.

The article mentioned is just another way to detour the masses from being prepared. Big brother wants you to be helpless in shtf situations so you will be easier to control.

Wow, where have you been driving. There are all kinds of ways out of most anywhere if you look. I can jump the rail head and be in Anderson in 2 hrs.
    Lots of ways out.
    This entire city is riddled with "Crime infested" areas. If there is an apartment complex close to you it is an at risk area. Ask any LEO. That is why we are armed. Not for offensive activity but defensive.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Wow, where have you been driving. There are all kinds of ways out of most anywhere if you look. I can jump the rail head and be in Anderson in 2 hrs.
    Lots of ways out.
    This entire city is riddled with "Crime infested" areas. If there is an apartment complex close to you it is an at risk area. Ask any LEO. That is why we are armed. Not for offensive activity but defensive.

Back roads are in the country and side streets are in the city.

I drove for five years and averaged 100 k a year, 80% of the time I never left the state. So needless to say I know how to navigate. Remember the tornados the swept through Greenwood and Beechgrove about 8 years ago? What would normally be a 10 minute drive ended up taking an hour between roads being blocked from debris and everyone trying to get home. If the shtf everybody and there brother will be trying to get out of town and the city will be grid lock.

Top Bottom