• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I am looking for a good coat to wear now and for when shtf. I need something that is waterproof, windproof, etc. I am thinking something not to thick, those never work anyways and can be more trouble than they are worth. The kicker is it has to be cheap as in money wise. Gore tex would be number one for me probably.
    something like this...
    Guide Gear Barrage Jacket, Black / Brown - 524667, Rainwear & Raingear at Sportsman's Guide
    or can just go military surplus like
    German Mil. Gore-Tex Jacket, Fleck Camo - 140667, Jackets/Coats at Sportsman's Guide
    tell me what you think or give me some other options.
    thanks in advance...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    I have the guide gear "Ice Fishing" bibs and jacket. I think it is for a little colder of an environment. I use it for snowmobiling and for the $110 I paid it is awesome. It has held up to 3 years of sledding and playing with the kids in the snow. I've been on the sled doing 60mph when the air temp was -5 and nary a wisper of wind gets in. It is like you are sitting in your living room. It looks exactly like what you have but blue and prob has more insulation. The Fleck stuff is really good if you are in the woods though.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    I bought some of the German military goretex from Sportsman Guide. It is waterproof, wind proof but it is not insulated and very noisy. If noise is not a factor it would keep you dry, but you will need to wear something under it for warmth. Order it a couple size bigger that what you usually wear.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a slicker. It is a long coat like a cowboy would wear. Some call them oil skins. I originally got it as rain gear for the bike. It is thin, water proof, cuts the wind and offers great concealment for firearms. If it is cold I can layer clothing under it and reduce as temps change. I can hunker down and it covers well, breaks the wind and I have been in the rain all day with it and not gotten wet.
    I have had it for years. Not seen them in stores lately.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I have a slicker. It is a long coat like a cowboy would wear. Some call them oil skins. I originally got it as rain gear for the bike. It is thin, water proof, cuts the wind and offers great concealment for firearms. If it is cold I can layer clothing under it and reduce as temps change. I can hunker down and it covers well, breaks the wind and I have been in the rain all day with it and not gotten wet.
    I have had it for years. Not seen them in stores lately.

I think I've seen them online on websites selling trench coats and such.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Although I keep a spare set of cold/wet weather gear in the car, I make it a practice to dress for the worst weather anticipated. In other words, I don't go to the mall in shorts and a T-shirt when it's 30 degrees outside. The OP might want to consider a layered ensemble for his winter wear. If he doesn't mind being slightly conspicuous, outdoor hunting gear is being built to be waterproof as well as quiet these days, and after hunting season is over, can often be found at a pretty good discount.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    Although I keep a spare set of cold/wet weather gear in the car, I make it a practice to dress for the worst weather anticipated. In other words, I don't go to the mall in shorts and a T-shirt when it's 30 degrees outside. The OP might want to consider a layered ensemble for his winter wear. If he doesn't mind being slightly conspicuous, outdoor hunting gear is being built to be waterproof as well as quiet these days, and after hunting season is over, can often be found at a pretty good discount.
    I usually wear layers in all kinds of weather, especially hunting in the winter. That is the reason I was wondering about the guide gear parka. It is not insulated, but will keep me dry and windproof. With layers under that of course, I have been thinking that the camo stuff would stick out like a sore thumb.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I am looking for a good coat to wear now and for when shtf......The kicker is it has to be cheap as in money wise. SHTF and cheap are a contradiction.

tell me what you think Life is not cheap. Buy once, cry once. If you can't walk through briars with it, it is useless. Thin material can go through briars if you buy the right coat.

or give me some other options.
    Columbia Sportswear | Men’s Whirlibird™ Parka

Mine are so old and have seen so much use the name of it is not relevant but the 3/4 length 3 way coats made by Columbia are what I use. The coat comes down to mid thigh and has a removable cold weather liner. The shell is used year round, on foot, in boats going 50mph in a driving rain and anywhere I may go where it may rain, snow or blow. It is a better shelter than any tarp, folds up like one, is mobile, 3/4 length allows me to shelter in place meaning where I am standing. Will go right through briars. Add a tarp or physical shelter and you are in great shape.

Inslulated Liner can be used alone or with the shell. When combined it is sub zero gear. I hunt with mine in all kinds of weather, all kinds of game, basic dark green color. If I want "camo" I add that with another layer of material, not a ghilley suit but what I do works for me.

Don't buy one without seeing it first, other companies make similar products. Mine all hang on a rack next to our Carharts. Good=Carharts, Better = newer technology materials.

FYI having waterproof gear does not mean crap if your boots are not waterproof. Where do you think all that water runs too when it runs off your coat? Yup, right to your feet. Cold head, hands and feet will kill you quick.

Last edited:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    One thing to really consider for SHTF wear is the potential abuse that it will take. Ever have a hot ember land on your gore-tex or other man-made materail coats? Instant hole.
    Personally, I have a (very) light weight rain jacket for the real rain, and treated treated carharts for most everything else.
    Wanna really test your outfit? Sit in an open treestand for hours when it's windy, 40 degrees and raining, and then walk through the briar patch on the way out.

Top Bottom