• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yes I'd search but only have an iPhone these days and it hates the search function...

What rain barrel kits do you all like? Will be a sealed 55 gallon drum.

Have seen some nice ones online.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm waiting till we move before I buy them but there's some really nice rain barrels on Ebay. Plenty of them are more decorative so it's easier to convince the wife that we "need" them.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Now if it'd just rain.:dunno:

RoflLg.gif

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm piecing together an underground holding tank with a pump to bring it back up as needed. No real winterization needed like I'll have to with my above ground 50 gallon cube.

Look into Bushman (it's big $$$ but it's going to last). Link: Bushman

I might look for a tank from TSC or a similar place if they are less money.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm piecing together an underground holding tank with a pump to bring it back up as needed. No real winterization needed like I'll have to with my above ground 50 gallon cube.

Look into Bushman (it's big $$$ but it's going to last). Link: Bushman

I might look for a tank from TSC or a similar place if they are less money.

Very cool, will put some serious thought into that.

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    There are always food grade barrels being advertised for sale in the Auto and RV and on Craigslist. I think the ones on Craigslist are in Knightstown IN and are around 10-20 bucks. There is also a place in indy that sells barrels both food grade and non food grade and they will leave the tops on or cut them off so you can install removable tops on them but you have to buy atleast 10 at a time if I remember right. I picked some up years ago when I was a maintenance tech for an industrial laundry. We used to recycle our detergent barrels and send them out on to the rental customers for them to put their dirty uniforms in. We ran out of detergent barrels and had to buy them from this place. Some of them were used for Mt Dew syrup and there was one that was a garlic pickle barrel and we never got that smell out of the van I used to pick them up. I would go with the ones in Knightstown though as I believe they are all syrup barrels.

Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    The City of Lafayette is also selling rain Barrels $25 for Lafayette City residents using city water and $50 to non-residents (Normal $70). I just got 3 and was able to nearly fill all of them last week with the few Tiny rain storms we had.
    City of Lafayette, IN - Rain Barrels

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I am waiting till we move also. I also plan to use bigger tanks, around 500 gallons as I will need it for garden and animals.

The one problem with the large tanks is they will not be movable when full. A friend of mine uses 55 gallon barrels and moves them to the garden to water than back to the house to get refilled.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm planning on setting up some rain barrels where we're moving to for an orchard. I'm going to get the barrel high enough off the ground that I can run a line and have a gravity fed sprinkler for my fruit trees.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We bought one of these

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/RTS-Home-Accents-5510-000900-5400-Collection/dp/B001AYSRZU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343262026&sr=8-2&keywords=rts+rain+barrel[/ame]

We were surprised how little rain will fill it! We're using water from our last rain (about a week ago) to water the garden.

Top Bottom