Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61
  1. #1

    Getting water from a well after a SHTF scenario

    This is something most people do not research enough. Yes you can treat water with bleach and have countless expensive filters. You can store it for eternity and catch rain off of a tin roof. However, what happens when all these sources run out?

    We all know what a well head looks like, has anyone ever taken five minutes to pull the cap and look inside? Yeah there is water down there but does anyone know how to remove the pitless adapter & pull the submersible?

    Then ideas for getting the water to the surface to drink? Discuss, and yes I have ideas....

  2. #2
    Grandmaster eldirector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Brownsburg, IN
    Posts
    12,057
    Something like this?
    Water*|*Water Pumps*|*Deep Wells*|*Stainless Steel Deep Well Pump Head - Lehmans.com


    Just pump it up the old-fashioned way. They make MUCH cheaper versions as well. Thought about getting a couple to outfit neighbors in a prolonged outage. No use in having the whole neighborhood at my door....

    I don't think you need to pull the existing pump, either. Just drop the pipe next to the existing one.
    Ryan "ElDirector"
    _(O|||||||O)_

    Danville Conservation Club | JPFrog Offroaders
    Indiana Four Wheel Drive Assoc.
    I make my own luck.
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

    “The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”
    ― Dante Alighieri, Inferno

  3. #3
    Plinker Dybber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    South side Indy
    Posts
    280
    Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    Something like this?
    Water*|*Water Pumps*|*Deep Wells*|*Stainless Steel Deep Well Pump Head - Lehmans.com


    Just pump it up the old-fashioned way. They make MUCH cheaper versions as well. Thought about getting a couple to outfit neighbors in a prolonged outage. No use in having the whole neighborhood at my door....

    I don't think you need to pull the existing pump, either. Just drop the pipe next to the existing one.


    This is similar to the one my father in law just installed.
    Clinging to my guns and religion.

  4. #4
    I Care...Really
    churchmouse's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Speedway area
    Posts
    103,812
    Yes, I have. We have a hand operated diaphragm pump that will do some serious lifting. We have an electric one and a pneumatic one as well. I have learned to move liquid around from my trade. It is not hard just have the right gear.

  5. #5
    Great topic. Figured there would be more chiming in?
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert...31461053543502


    NRA Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun
    Range Safety Officer
    Certified Glock Armorer

  6. #6
    Expert
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Brown County
    Posts
    1,628
    Whew that was a close one....

  7. #7
    If you can get past the pitiless adapter, it's worth the five minutes it takes to pull the cap and look. I have a 4" well and the pitless will not allow the other pipe to get past it. They do make an offset pitless adapter but normally well guys do not install them.


    Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    I don't think you need to pull the existing pump, either. Just drop the pipe next to the existing one.

  8. #8
    I think this is a very good idea for someone who is not prepared or say you get stranded in unfamiliar territory.

    My basic concern is we spend all this money on guns and ammo yet dehydration or water borne illness may kill you before anyone has a chance to shoot you.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Caveman View Post
    Last edited by stlaser; 10-04-2012 at 20:01.

  9. #9
    For the sake of the thread and knowing you have some expertise can you link us to appropriate equipment?


    Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Yes, I have. We have a hand operated diaphragm pump that will do some serious lifting. We have an electric one and a pneumatic one as well. I have learned to move liquid around from my trade. It is not hard just have the right gear.

  10. #10
    Here is what I had installed but I am also restoring a Flint and Walling antique windmill over it.

    heller-aller pumps/model 50l wind mill pump

    Pitcher Pump, Shallow Well Lift Pump, Decorative Lamps, Land Scape Pump Manufacturer & Wholesale Supplier From Usa



    Quote Originally Posted by Dybber View Post
    This is similar to the one my father in law just installed.


Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •