• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Last night around 4 pm my Father calls me up and asks when I am getting off work I said about half an hour, what's up? He informed me while working in his shop he sliced open his palm with a razor knife. Said he had his suture kit and asked when I clocked out I could come over and stitch him up. We only had enough nylon for 3 stitches in a wound that needed 5-7. I first washed with hot water and soap and rinsed with alcohol to sterilize my hands and patted dry with paper towels as did he. After an hour everything was all stitched up and we kept the wound sterilized and all the tools we used. Keep in mind this cut is about 1/2" deep into the meat of his palm. If it does not get infected were golden if it does hes off to the ER. Not knowing what to get him for Christmas this year I just ordered him a survival first aid kit with everything we should need. Just wanting to keep everybody up to date on their emergency aid kits. Suture kits, needles, alcohol wipes, quick clot, etc. You never know when you may need to stop a traumatic injury from bleeding until you can get to the ER or your own stitches to save a couple hundred bucks.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Definitely good advice for many... I need to get a kit...

But I faint at the sight of blood.... so idk how much good I would be...

I also have 100% coverage on all accidental injuries with no deductible so for me it's easier to just go to the hospital...

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Definitely good advice for many... I need to get a kit...

But I faint at the sight of blood.... so idk how much good I would be...

I also have 100% coverage on all accidental injuries with no deductible so for me it's easier to just go to the hospital...

That is good coverage, he's self employed so it was Dr. Miller last night. Even quick clot and gauze could save your life, it's amazing what you can bring yourself to do when the circumstances require it.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Quick clot is a chemical cauterization and causes additional damage that is unwarranted in all but the most dire circumstances. Make sure you understand the stuff before you use it and cause more damage than you had to start with.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Quick clot is a chemical cauterization and causes additional damage that is unwarranted in all but the most dire circumstances. Make sure you understand the stuff before you use it and cause more damage than you had to start with.

+1 yes, most dire circumstances is the only time it should be used, it is on hand for that reason. We spend a lot of time in the woods and this bag is small enough to fit in a backpack. One slice of a sharp broadhead on the leg may require quick clot.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Nice! What a good skill to have. I never even considered having to take care of something like that myself. I'd like to think I could do it, but just reading about your experience made my feet tingle...lol. Don't know which would be worse, givin' or gettin'!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That is good coverage, he's self employed so it was Dr. Miller last night. Even quick clot and gauze could save your life, it's amazing what you can bring yourself to do when the circumstances require it.
    I don't blame him... heck, if I didn't have 100% coverage on accidents I'd be doing the same... I've been known to use superglue on "borderline" cuts before because of that...

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN

Could you show me some studies backing your claim? Because the only thing I've read even remotely similar is about the old quik clot powder that is rarely sold.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Could you show me some studies backing your claim? Because the only thing I've read even remotely similar is about the old quik clot powder that is rarely sold.

That is what I've heard however I am not up to date on current quick clot formulas and their impact. I just know if I cut myself in a spot I know is real bad I'm dumping that **** on it.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    That is what I've heard however I am not up to date on current quick clot formulas and their impact. I just know if I cut myself in a spot I know is real bad I'm dumping that **** on it.

Anymore you don't need to dump anything. The information you're basing this off of is years old. Now you either get a gauze sponge or gauze to stuff the wound. You can read all the info there but it's completely changed. No more granules, no more burns or heat.

ZMedica - QuikClot® adsorbent hemostatic agent speeds coagulation & rapidly stops blood loss: Z-Medica Corporation

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Anymore you don't need to dump anything. The information you're basing this off of is years old. Now you either get a gauze sponge or gauze to stuff the wound. You can read all the info there but it's completely changed. No more granules, no more burns or heat.

ZMedica - QuikClot® adsorbent hemostatic agent speeds coagulation & rapidly stops blood loss: Z-Medica Corporation

The stuff I bought is quick clot sponges, which makes sense that the "formula" is no longer really a formula. I have never used it or bought it but, heard that it is nice to have on hand.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    The stuff I bought is quick clot sponges, which makes sense that the "formula" is no longer really a formula. I have never used it or bought it but, heard that it is nice to have on hand.

No problems! I'm not advocating its use any ol' time someone's bleeding, but after all of the injuries I've had I know that pressure doesn't always stop bleeding the way you need it to.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Just curious, do you have training in suturing or did you have any reference materials handy to guide you?

No, its like sewing... Needle in one side, through cut to other side, square knot on top of square knot. It's simple really, and this isn't the first time we done this. May not be to "standards" but it works.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I would like to point out a few things mentioned here... only nit-picking though....

You in-correctly used the word sterilized a few times. Use the word clean, it's more accurate and makes it sound like you know what you are talking about if someone is to follow your lead. There is a huge difference between the two.

Never suture a would past 6hrs of the injury

If possible use a monochrome vs polychrome suture (single thread like most fishing lines) not a braided suture.

NEVER EVER EVER use any form of chemical anticoagulant. Period.
    I am trained an I won't touch the stuff.

There are several styles and ways to suture... but as you have demonstrated just because one way it the "way" to do it....doesn't make it the only way.

Please keep us up to date on the healing process and your successes or how you would do things differently as you see fit.

The hand is a tough place to heal since its used so much, good luck.

And if I haven't said it yet... Good Job!

Top Bottom