Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I'm aware of the pathophysiology of your statement; I merely wished to expound upon your statement as it not being an absolute.

Such is the reason why I qualified my remarks. Medicine is an art, as well as a science.
    That a good story, and if we were drinking coffee talking shop I woundnt bring it up... think about your audiance here pal, no one is an attending nor a medical artist... forest through the trees bud.

User Info Menu

The last injury I received was to the back of my right hand. Reacting to a nest of wasps in a roof mounted A/C unit I put my hand in a 3/4 HP direct drive fan spinning at speed. Cut the tendons on my middle and ring finger and caused sevre trauma to my hand.

The injury happened early afternoon, I was at the ER within 10 minutes of the injury. The ER Dr looked at my hand, had it x-rayed and then had the wound cleaned up, bandaged up and it wasn't until 2 PM the next day when I had surgery to repair the damage.

I ended up having 11 internal disolving sutures and 32 external sutures. which stayed in for just about a week before they were taken out.

After 3 months worth of re-hab and I was back to almost normal. still can't bend my fingers all the way closed and I lost about 30-40% of the strength in my hand but I am back to about 90% now.

Oh, the most annoying part of the whole deal is the scar area on the side of my hand where thy took a skin graft from is very sensitive since the incident.

Word to everyone, shut off and lock out all equipment before attemtping any repair. Inspect before repairing..

I'd post pictures but some might not like the graphic pictures..

TJ
    TJ
    Don't be afraid of the dark. Be Ready for it!!

Ted
    Shooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redneckmedic View Post
    That a good story, and if we were drinking coffee talking shop I woundnt bring it up... think about your audiance here pal, no one is an attending nor a medical artist... forest through the trees bud.
    Chill out, Bro.

Yes, there are some pretty dumb people here, but there are some pretty smart medical laymen who can figure out what is being discussed.

User Info Menu

lidocaine....nice to have some with that suture kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Boiled Owl View Post
    lidocaine....nice to have some with that suture kit.

How does one aquire it?
    TJ
    Don't be afraid of the dark. Be Ready for it!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Icarry2 View Post
    How does one aquire it?
    Good question. It's available at veterinary med sites reasonable. But with a prescription. Anyone know Elvis' vet?

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redneckmedic View Post
    The chemical process causes an exothermic reaction destroying all tissues that are used in the process. Major surgery is needed the reconcile the area, with a rehab time uncertain for debridement of the inside wound cavity. Infection is outrageous and success rate is really unknown. Not to mention the creation of throbis in blood vessles. The window to actually get me to use this is sooooo small that by the time I thought to use it, get to my kit, open it, apply it, and stop the bleeding, the patient would have a front row seat hovering over their own body.

The debate on whether its OK to destroy tissues to save a life is fair, however the gross chances of mis-use, conpletely out weight the purchase for me.... and I'm trained.

The military removed them from their medic (to the best of my knowledge), metropolitan 911, ERs, trauma centers and OR's don't use them.... why the heck would Dick's market them to your weekend warrior mountain biker?

/rant
    Yep what he said. The stuff is pretty dangerous. That is why we do not use it. It still has that exothermic reaction. They just moved it into the bandage.

I had one gunshot this year I got to use a tourniquet on. If I were going to spend any money on something ( with proper training ), I would buy a few of those. BTW the gunshot was a femoral artery hit.

Some good advice on Quikclot.
    The Case Against QuikClot | The Survival Mom

Sorry survival boards like the crap. Some people have more money than sense.

User Info Menu

Is this where the internet doctors hang out? I've been thinking about doing my own Appendectomy, and based on the info I gathered on this thread, I can safely do this at home as long as I have a sharp knife, some QuikClot, needle and thread, and I seal it all back up within 12 hours (though still in debate)? Anything I'm missing?

In all seriousness though, been a medic for quite a while, and I'm all for keeping non-seriously injured people out of the ED... but you only get one body, and only one life. So you save $100 by stitching yourself up, but what happens when that thing gets an infection, and you end up a lot worse off (or dead)? My well-being is worth a lot more than the cost of a couple sutures.

We judge the fit and finish of our guns everyday, why not care about our own bodies in the same manner? I'd rather give a pro a couple bucks to make that nasty gash look as good as it can, rather than take momma's needle and thread to it. Plus, that scar tissue might cause other problems later on.

Prep for SHTF all you want, but we're no there yet, and I can't see the logic in DIY suturing when any occ-health place would do it for next to nothing.

User Info Menu

I can understand wanting to know how to suture as a precaution against an actual (if unlikely) survival scenario, but choosing not to go to the ER for something like this is bizarre. I want to say that it's a good argument for ensuring that everyone has medical insurance, but I imagine people would still choose to do it in the bathroom without proper training anyway.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    Is this where the internet doctors hang out? I've been thinking about doing my own Appendectomy, and based on the info I gathered on this thread, I can safely do this at home as long as I have a sharp knife, some QuikClot, needle and thread, and I seal it all back up within 12 hours (though still in debate)? Anything I'm missing?

In all seriousness though, been a medic for quite a while, and I'm all for keeping non-seriously injured people out of the ED... but you only get one body, and only one life. So you save $100 by stitching yourself up, but what happens when that thing gets an infection, and you end up a lot worse off (or dead)? My well-being is worth a lot more than the cost of a couple sutures.

We judge the fit and finish of our guns everyday, why not care about our own bodies in the same manner? I'd rather give a pro a couple bucks to make that nasty gash look as good as it can, rather than take momma's needle and thread to it. Plus, that scar tissue might cause other problems later on.

Prep for SHTF all you want, but we're no there yet, and I can't see the logic in DIY suturing when any occ-health place would do it for next to nothing.
    I'd do a round of antibiotics right after the sutures were in place, just as a precaution. You don't need a script to get medical grade antibiotics.
    GOA,NRA Life,NRA Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol inst., RSO, BSA Merit badge counselor

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast