• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I have this huge stack of egg cartons that I want to make fire starters out of. I was looking at paraffin wax, but that stuff is expensive. What is the cheapest way to get the wax? They have packs of 50 T lights for like 2.50 at walmart, is that the cheapest around? Any good place to find cheap large candles? I was thinking about Goodwill, don't remember if they have used candles or not.

Oh yea :D and there are no yard sales this time of year, so don't suggest I go look around at yardsales LOL

But with the cold weather, I can melt the wax right on top of the wood burning stove. So it's the perfect time to make the firestarters.

Last edited:

Rikkrack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Montgomery Co
    Go to Goodwill. Watch for the color of the day. or thier 50% off Sundays. One sunday I hit 3 Goodwills in my area and picked up ~ 60 lbs of wax for making firestarters for around 30 bucks. They almost alwyas have candles of some sort. I didn't care color or smell.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Go to rural king you can get gulf canning wax (paraffin) 2.50 a pound I've seen it at Wally World to for same price just go to the canning isle. I've made several of these fire starters you are talking about

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Arts and craft stores generally have em. I use saw dust and dryer lint in mine. They'll start soaking wet wood while its raining on fire... True story

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Thanks guys, I was checking Amazon and the prices were high. 22 dollars for 6lbs with Amazon Prime. Regular merchants had 10 lbs for 16 bucks, but shipping doubled the price. ColinB913, that is better than amazon, but still looking for a little cheaper than 3.00 a pound. I will give Goodwill a try this Sunday, and check out Walmart, 2.50 is better than 3.00.

Yep, I plan on using lint and sawdust as well, both while they last, and then one or the other probably.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Garage sales have a bunch of candles. You could also go to Michael's and get some soy wax.

I made a couple altoid emergency candles using the wicks from the tealights and some wax from a very expensive candle that my boys decided to break for their mom.

It turned out pretty awesome. I should probably light it and see how long it lasts :)

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Not wax related, but I like to make fire starters out of cotton balls and Vaseline. A cotton ball saturated in Vaseline will burn for a 1-3 minutes. I usually just take a ziploc toss some cotton balls in, scoop a bunch of Vaseline in and just knead the crap out of it then leave them in the bag.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Use soy wax. Parrafin has toxins in the smoke, soy also has less soot.

I bought a bunch from a candle maker supplier Greenwood, but she's out of business now.

We make "buddy burners" in scouts. Use a fry pan and make a double boiler-this is for safety- you don't want to get near the flash point of the wax. Melt the wax in old soup cans (it impossible to clean out of real pans).

Mrkeller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Greensburg
    I just use the wax cubes that my ole lady gets to make the house smell good. Once they are used no sense in throwing them away.

M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    Yeah, for me its old candles (LOVE the garage sale idea) from around the house, relatives, friends and church. There's always old candles at churches.

What's the longest anyone's had an egg-carton fire starter burn? I'm at 45 min right now, but want to get to 60 this spring / summer.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Yeah, for me its old candles (LOVE the garage sale idea) from around the house, relatives, friends and church. There's always old candles at churches.

What's the longest anyone's had an egg-carton fire starter burn? I'm at 45 min right now, but want to get to 60 this spring / summer.

Never measured time, but you can get a slower burn if you use a mix of beeswax and paraffin.

Another thing I saw somewhere else was...
    I take a piece of cloth that I put in molten beeswax or parafine. When it is still clammy and pliable I put some dry tinder in it and wrap tight. When dry I dab some molten wax around the edges...

Sounds like a great firestarter, you might try using a beeswax/parrafin mix and some smaller pieces of very dry wood added to your egg carton mixture to get to 60 minutes.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Never thought about wax toilet rings.
    Looking online it appears they might have moved to a synthetic wax and could be bad to burn. Anyone else have any opinions on this?
    I know the ones I have bought from Lowes I would almost consider to be a liquid instead of a solid lol.
    Looks like they use to be made of Beeswax though.

It also appears you can use crayons.
    I wanted to check out Goodwill yesterday, but I had two essays to write and didn't get the time.
    I might head over today.

ETA I believe I have an extra wax ring in the bathroom, will go look at the box.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    So what are these egg carton fire starters you guys speak of? How do you make em, and how do they work? I could google it, but I'd prefer to hear from the INGO crowd and get 1st hand knowledge.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Check with the janitor at your church

Many churches have candle-ceremonies, and they don't usually all get burned up. If they are stored away somewhere, maybe your custodian or other secretary of events would let you have them for a donation. Make sure that they would approve of your use, and are not √---- pacifists. (tried to print "radical")
    HERE is a pound of it for $9.

HERE is five pounds for $20

HERE is ten pounds for $30

Rough estimate prices including estimated shipping.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    So what are these egg carton fire starters you guys speak of? How do you make em, and how do they work? I could google it, but I'd prefer to hear from the INGO crowd and get 1st hand knowledge.

Egg Carton Fire Starters | How To Articles - GuideLines: Paddling.net

Just one of the many many ways to do it.

Basically you melt some sort of wax into egg cartons, preferably with some sort of wick to start the fire, then you add various things to it to slow burning.

muncie1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    I just use the wax cubes that my ole lady gets to make the house smell good. Once they are used no sense in throwing them away.

Actually they are Scentsy wax cubes and they are great. If anybidy is interested. PM me and I'll send you a link.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    Another way is take a toilet paper cardboard roll stuff dryer lint in it and seal both ends with wax. Pack it tight. You can just tear cardboard and light it or put a match sticking out of it or a wick could work as well. I hadn't thought to put dry tinder in with them I will have to give that a try.

Top Bottom