• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And I mean very small. Ha. Just had a coworker cut his finger on something a moment ago and I was the only person who had a bandaid in our (very small) office. I keep a Get Home Bag in my car and part of that includes a little medical kit.

One thing I have learned about prepping is there is a rather small chance we will experience a very big emergency, but there is a very big chance we will experience small emergencies each day. I find having a few things at the ready make the minor emergencies that much easier to deal with.

Another example was when I lost my keys and stranded myself and a friend about 10 miles from the keys. Having a spare pair of clothes and hiking boots in my car was clutch. As was the gatorade and cliff bars.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    unless it was a tactical hello Kitty bandage you failed miserably.
    BNDG-7248.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm routinely digging out my "boo-boo" kit for folks. Minor cuts, headaches, etc... No one else ever has ANYTHING useful on-hand.

The neighbor kid scraped her knee while playing with my daughter in our driveway. Her parent's didn't have anything handy, so out came my car kit for an alcohol wipe and band-aid.

If you plan for the major stuff, everything else is minor.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    That's it, I am buying hello kitty band aids for my kit. That way my co-workers are foced to wear them, since I seem to be the only one with a first aid kit, ever.

I went on a field trip with my son's class to a state park and was the ONLY one that had a kit when a girl fell and busted her forehead open. I was in shock that none of the other parents or teachers had the foresight to think that there would be the possiblity of a kid getting hurt when you turn 100+ 6-7 year olds loose in the woods.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    People dont expect to need to take care of themselves anymore. They expect the government or someone else to do it. The only thing Americans prepare for anymore is boredom. God forbid we must spend 5 minutes alone with out thoughts; I better make sure I can play Angry Birds.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    That's it, I am buying hello kitty band aids for my kit. That way my co-workers are foced to wear them, since I seem to be the only one with a first aid kit, ever.

I went on a field trip with my son's class to a state park and was the ONLY one that had a kit when a girl fell and busted her forehead open. I was in shock that none of the other parents or teachers had the foresight to think that there would be the possiblity of a kid getting hurt when you turn 100+ 6-7 year olds loose in the woods.
    That's exactly why I have them!!!!!!!!

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Haha, this reminds me of a story... when I was deployed to the sand-box last year I cut my hand on a sharp piece of steel. Didn't figure much point in going over to the med-shed at another camp, it would have just been a waste of time. The SEAL TM medic was more than capable, he stitched me up, and then slapped on a "Dora The Explorer" bandaid... :laugh::laugh:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    If you really want to make coworkers **** their pants, after wrapping their wound with white medical tape, pull out a pocket knife from your pocket to cut the tape. Not a tactical gut a whale kind of knife, just a bird knife or other pocket knife.

I learned that trick 30 years ago one day at work while fixing up a wound on a guy at least 100 pounds heavier and half foot taller than me. He looked like I was Rambo coming to kill him. WTF, with a 2" pocket knife?

Throughout the history of man most have never been prepared even for daily life. Having band-aids makes you a 1 percenter.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Really like the cool bandaids! Dollar store ones are plain jane, no pretty colors or logos. Need to update my 3 BOBs(1 ea car, 1 for house). The pocketknife thing is true, people think you are Charles Manson when you flip out your blade. I like the serrated tactical knives, they ask, you tell them you can skin gators with this! LOL.

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Really like the cool bandaids! Dollar store ones are plain jane, no pretty colors or logos. Need to update my 3 BOBs(1 ea car, 1 for house). The pocketknife thing is true, people think you are Charles Manson when you flip out your blade. I like the serrated tactical knives, they ask, you tell them you can skin gators with this! LOL.
    Its amazing how much people freak out when you pull out a knife. Even a little pocket knife. I use mine every other day. Its incredibly useful to carry a knife.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Prepping, it means being prepared. Being prepared means being ready for a lot of things, not just zombies and civil unrest. Live your life that way, and its amazing what a man of action you become. You become the calm, collected guy at the accident scene. The only guy on the trail with a 2x2 and tape for a hurt hiker. The only guy with jumper cables. The only guy with a multitool, or duct tape, a lighter, a flashlight, or a chainsaw. Or skills.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    it is funny how that works. i am nowhere near the level of prepared that i should be, but i do keep an emergency kit in the car or truck with jumper cables, tow strap, tire inflater and small FAK. i ALWAYS carry a knife and flashlight on my person. the flashlight has come in handy more times than i like to admit, as well as the various uses of the FAK and tire inflater for people that needed something simple.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I usually say it is the only knife I can effectively cut both cardboard with and dress a deer. Only time I carry a 50/50 blade too.

I will try substituting gators for cardboard and see what reaction I get. :laugh:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We had a water problem at work several weeks back, and our water was shut off about 2 hours into the day. One guy completely freakin panicked saying, "what are we gonna drink" (there are stores within walking distance of the building:rolleyes:), anyway, this guy was just absolutely amazed when he saw me drinking a bottle of water, kept asking where I got it, did I go to the store, why didn't I get some extra for him, so on and so on. Finally, at the end of the day, I told him I ALWAYS carry extra food and water in my truck, in case something exactly like this ever occurs. He seemed confused at the thought of someone being prepared for an unforseen event. He even laughingly said the next day "why would somebody carry a bunch of water in their truck".

I gave myself an A+ for dealing with a minor inconvenience without actually being inconvenienced. But I also found out a lot about the mentality of some people, and one in particular I will be watching if anything major ever goes down while I'm at work.

Top Bottom