• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Looking for suggestions for reliable relatively inexpensive flashlight for family members that tend to lose/loan out and never get back. There are a lot of off brands at hardware stores but I have concern about quality. Any experience with lower end lights

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Looking for suggestions for reliable relatively inexpensive flashlight for family members that tend to lose/loan out and never get back. There are a lot of off brands at hardware stores but I have concern about quality. Any experience with lower end lights

You get what you pay for...I buy the 2 for 3 bucks with batteries at walmart for those who cannot keep track of them

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    What everyone else says. No point in buying Maglights each time a light gets lost. Had a family member drop a plastic army flashlight of mine and shatter it. He doesn't get my flashlights to borrow anymore.

BluDeuce

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Northern IN
    Try the nebo brand. Very nice light for the money.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nebo-5581-Redline-Tactical-Flashlight/dp/B006X2YTQ0/ref=pd_cp_hi_1]Nebo 5581 220 Lumen Redline Tactical Flashlight Strobe S.O.S - Amazon.com[/ame]

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I actually carry one of the little cheapos with me, in my pocket. The only downside I've found so far is that sometimes, bending or twisting will turn it on and I won't notice until the barrel of the light gets hot... with LEDs, that can take a while. Otherwise, no complaints.

Blessings,
    Bill

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Bass pro has the little stubby led lights in a 6 pack. I only see them packaged that way during their big sales, but I grab a pack of em when I see em. The last pack I bought was $8.99 for six. I've had a few that only lasted a month or so, but others that are still going after a couple years.

Other side of the coin: I bought a mini mag led at lowes on black friday, for around $12, and I absolutely love that thing, I'll be buying more when I catch em on sale again.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana

Fenix Gear and Klarus Lights are two of the best alternatives to Surefire IMO, seconded by Olight and 4sevens.

I own a 150 lumen Klarus P1A that is aluminum, waterproof to IPX standards, and has reverse polarity protection. All for $49.00

Others are right about you get what you pay for but that does NOT mean you have to shell out $100+ for a quality light when there ARE MANY other brands that provide mil-spec flashlights/torches at very reasonable prices and which are just as durable in not more so.

Going Gear - Going Gear - Smyrna, Georgia is an excellent source for said items.

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    I love these lights: I've carried one every day for the past six months and it hasn't failed yet. Stupidly bright, stupidly cheap, and they use AA's, which is a must in my book.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cree-300LM-Mini-LED-Flashlight/dp/B006VPPERC/ref=pd_cp_hi_0]Cree 7W 300LM Mini LED Flashlight - Amazon.com[/ame]

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    Still more than a couple bucks, but I own several streamlights that have been running flawlessly for years. I carry two of them daily. One of the Nanos on my keys, and a ProTac in the pocket. Great value for the money, lightweight and rugged.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Still more than a couple bucks, but I own several streamlights that have been running flawlessly for years. I carry two of them daily. One of the Nanos on my keys, and a ProTac in the pocket. Great value for the money, lightweight and rugged.

Forgot to add streamlight to that list. I have the Penlight and I think had a protac. Very very durable lights. Lol I have dropped the crap outa them and they function fantastically.

UnionPmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have three with me at work.

I use this Streamlight for around the station, in the ambulance, and non-fire calls. It's a bit bright for checking pupils, but it is very useful.

Stylus® Series - Stylus®

Both the Streamlight and the Pelican have held up for several years under extreme heat, water, and very rough handling. The pelican has had the worst of it with repeated drops, direct fire exposure, and once the lens came off and water got in the flashlight itself. It worked immediately after screwing the lens back on.

Pelican*Products*Big Ed™ Rechargeable 3750 Flashlight

Helmet Mount Series - Vantage® | Streamlight

The Stylus is the only one that is "cheap," but all have paid for themselves 10 fold.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Walmart sells rayovac pen lights for 3 bucks. They take a single AAA, and it's pretty good for non tactical use, and at 3 bucks, not much invested. I bought one for my work/neuro check, one for each of the boys, and one for my wife. They come in handy and I don't light up the room when I'm looking for something :)

Top Bottom