• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drussell077

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2013
    Livingston
    So i recently went to dollar tree, one of the better and still $1 for everything stores. And i was looking around and seeing all the potential preps. Such as -

100 Bandages in a box for $1
    Rubbing alcohol/Hydrogen peroxide in a large bottle
    Knock off neosporin
    Bulk razors - 10 for $1
    Bulk tooth brushes - 6 for $1
    Big boxes of matches
    Etc Etc

is this a good idea? or should i be paying 5 times the price for quality.

Thank you for the replies :)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    So i recently went to dollar tree, one of the better and still $1 for everything stores. And i was looking around and seeing all the potential preps. Such as -

100 Bandages in a box for $1
    Rubbing alcohol/Hydrogen peroxide in a large bottle
    Knock off neosporin
    Bulk razors - 10 for $1
    Bulk tooth brushes - 6 for $1
    Big boxes of matches
    Etc Etc

is this a good idea? or should i be paying 5 times the price for quality.

Thank you for the replies :)

You, should be fine. On here somewhere, is a thread about "prepping on a budget" and he tells people to go buy things, at Harbor Freight.....

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Harbor Freight has most excellent magnesium fire starter bars with steel strikers for $2 about once a month....$5 otherwise I think. They work great....I love my $5 machete from HF...so much I have several laying around here.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Certain things are worth spending the $ for quality, like the bandaids IMO. I've gotten the cheapo ones, and they always end up falling off within 15 minutes of moving around. If you're using 5 times the # of them because they keep falling off, might as well get a good one to begin with. The other stuff I would think is good to go.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Dollar Tree gave out an "Emergency Supply List" with some stuff a while ago. I have it around as it's a pretty good baseline for anyone, not just "preppers".

For first aid supplies, it's hard to really go cheap, but there ARE places you can get stuff cheaper. Bandaid's typically work ok, but if you cut yourself you need to make sure it stays closed, and the bandaid is just to keep gunk out. ;)

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I use DT for barter items like cheap toothbrushes, matches, batteries, toothpastes, soaps, shampoos, and anything thing else that people would want or need in shtf. Its cheap, gives me a way to trade and barter if shtf, w/o breaking the bank. Also buy their food, I don't eat that crap, but other people do and might want or need it. When about a month or two from expiration, I donate it to local churches, food pantries and such.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not to hi-jack yer thread, but I saw Harbor freight mentioned above.

For folks on the east-side, I noticed that they have a banner on the building that says they are having a "Parking lot sale", later in August. I do'nt know what it will be like but it might be worth checking out.

SNAGGLE TOOTH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Indy
    Saving Money on Preps

There is no need to buy top end unless you need top end

Most basic prepping supplies that are commodities I would buy as cheap as I can get. Basic medical, toothpaste etc...

That said, money is what you pay, value is what you get.... Don't go cheap on the critical items

1) Weapons, optics, food, water filters, cold weather gear and TRAINING - get good stuff because your life may depend on it

2) Food -- I bought MRE's by the tractor trailer to save money and sold off what I didn't need. I also got a distributorship for freeze dried food just so I could save 40% on my own purchases. Freeze dried food is the way to go in terms of storage and quality. MOUNTAIN HOUSE is pretty good stuff.....

3) Gear: Guns and ammo - used is the way to go if you can. While all my friends were getting cars and motorcycles they didn't need I was getting gear................... Everyone thought I was a zero ten years ago and now I look like a hero

4) Buy Direct from the Manufacturer when you can -- I bought pallets of gas cans and water cans at the minimum order lot from MIDWEST CAN in Chicago and they delivered them to my warehouse. Great folks. Check it out...

5) Guns - for prepping go RELIABLE and skip the EXPENSIVE stuff. Nothing wrong with high end but that is not what we are talking about here. Glocks don't break and store well and you can get 2 pistols + a lot of ammo for the price of one KIMBER (no offense to KIMBER of course)... If you can afford it get duplicates of all your key items. THINK HYPER REDUNDANCY. Battle Rifles -- Get a high quality 308 if you can afford it that is good quality and a 223. DPMS, Stag Arms, you name it -- others can give better advice than I can but sometimes if you are at a gun show and can get a private sale you have to take what you can get and trade it later.... GET IRON SIGHTS AND LEARN TO USE THEM. Don't forget the spare parts and cleaning gear....Never can have too much ammo either. Have oodles of ammo.....

6) Trading Currency: Hard Liquor in glass bottles has an indefinite shelf life. Any good Vodka will do and Jim Beam is well known and much cheaper than Jack... Best trading currency I can think of that is legal other than Tobacco and that does not keep too good. As Boston says "If you sell someone a bottle of Tequila take the money and RUN because it makes some people crazy. People always drink and when stressed they drink a lot more.

7) Training: If you are a Civilian like I am and do not have the benefit of years of training to be a Ninja go to THUNDER RANCH if you can (I have been twice and loved it). If you can't afford TR get local training -- Indiana has lots of opportunities. Get trained by a professional that trains Civilians if you can.... your life may depend on it. Remember Civilians need to be taught to walk away from a fight and not towards it -- we get sued personally if we shoot the wrong guy so go easy on the hard core combat stuff. As Clint Smith says "Every bullet has an attorney attached it"

Keep thinking in the direction you are and you will put it all together

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We don't bother with DT or the like. My wife can usually find coupons online, do the 'rewards' type stuff and end up getting better quality stuff cheaper via CVS, Wal-greens, or Amazon. You may not be able to get what you want this week, but keep your eyes open and it will eventually come around. I haven't paid for shaving cream or razor blades for almost two years thanks to her shopping. She occasionally makes money to buy stuff. It is very time intensive, and there's a learning curve, but she saves us more money doing it than she'd earn working most part time jobs.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Hydrogen peroxide works as a mechanical scrubber. The fizzy bubbles removes tiny debris, dead cells, etc at the site of minor wounds without harming healthy tissue. Basically the most gentle way to scrub a fresh wound before using other, more effective, methods of keeping bacteria away.

If you are pouring H2o2 into a wound, you will kill off some good stuff as well. That's why when we use it in healthcare, it's typically diluted.

The best wound wash is either water, or a saline solution. I would suggest that you look up the recipe for making saline and store/memorize it. :)

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Dollar Tree gave out an "Emergency Supply List" with some stuff a while ago. I have it around as it's a pretty good baseline for anyone, not just "preppers".

For first aid supplies, it's hard to really go cheap, but there ARE places you can get stuff cheaper. Bandaid's typically work ok, but if you cut yourself you need to make sure it stays closed, and the bandaid is just to keep gunk out. ;)

Found it on line. Not too bad for a basic list.

Dollar Tree, Inc.: Emergency Preparedness

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    I have been telling people about this for some time. You can also find some deals on can goods like sardines, corned beef hash and spam products. People need to remember in prepping its good to have some foods high in fat. Tuna is not going to help you if you are really hungry.

With uncle sam as anti-freedom these days its also good to spread purchases around.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    One thing i have noticed is people should shop around more. Most of the items at DT you can get cheaper elsewhere. bottles of alcohol for example. $1 at DT. 97 cents at Walmart. Cheese crackers that is sold at DT for a buck you could go to Save-a-lot and get double the amount of name brand ones for $1.99. Popsicles.. a 4 pack at DT for a buck or get the same thing at Kroger in a 12 pack for $1.99. Ok I doubt anybody is stocking up on popsicles for shtf, but i am just going by the things i remember from the last time I was in there. Bottom line is that just because they sell so much there for only $1 you may find it in a better brand, cheaper if you shop around.

Top Bottom