• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjc2rjc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    So I came home from fishing this evening to find my neighbor on my porch talking to my wife. they have a garage that has half of it turned into an apartment. Seems this morning after the lady that lives there went to church someone broke in and robed her of jewelry and a gun she had. now I know very little about this lady, but from the few details I know it sounds a lot like an inside job.
    The area I live in is not a bad area at all. But someone had to know when she left for church. There are no side walks in my neighborhood. And no places to sit in a car and watch the house without raising suspicion. But who knows someone could have just seen her leave and took the opportunity. (I don't know) but now I am very much disturbed about what has happened. With that said. I want to look into home alarms.

Now I don't want one of those monthly pay security systems. They are pretty much crap in my book. What I want is to wake the neighbors out of a dead sleep and let them all know that something is going on that shouldn't be. has anyone came up with this kind of security system and if so can someone point me in the correct direction.
    Thanks in advance! :bat:

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    You may not want to hear this, but i'll give my opinion. I have an ADT alarm, have had it for about 3 years. I have fire monitoring as well as alarm monitoring, and it's roughly $30 per month, but since that's what I save on my homeowners insurance, it pays for itself. The cheapo alarms that exist soley to wake up your neighbors is asking for trouble with your neighbors after that first false alarm, and you WILL have a false alarm.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    First, why don't you know your neighbor? Second, anything is better than nothing but a system that is monitored makes it a little easier if your say an hour away or on vacation, etc... Just my two pennies..

TJ

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    You may not want to hear this, but i'll give my opinion. I have an ADT alarm, have had it for about 3 years. I have fire monitoring as well as alarm monitoring, and it's roughly $30 per month, but since that's what I save on my homeowners insurance, it pays for itself. The cheapo alarms that exist soley to wake up your neighbors is asking for trouble with your neighbors after that first false alarm, and you WILL have a false alarm.

That is awesome! I had never thought of it saving money on ur house insurance! How much was installation? Less than $1000?

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    That is awesome! I had never thought of it saving money on ur house insurance! How much was installation? Less than $1000?

If you choose to go with a standard $30 a month monitoring system, don't pay more than a few bucks for installation. That $30 a month, minus monitoring (actual value of $8 per month), goes to subsidize the equipment. Anything on top is just put into the salesman's pocket for the most part.

wildddw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2013
    Huntington
    thats actually not bad! I went to ADT site and they have a $35/mo plan. which im sure you could work a deal with a local dealer! I will have to check and see if our insurance company would give us a discount.....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Our systems were pieced together from available parts by a friend of my sons that is in the business. It is open ended as we will be adding features later on. I pay the company he works for to monitor the system. It has multiple alert sirens and horns to wake up the entire area should anyone choose to breech while we are away. It also powers the outdoor floods when it goes.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    Look into a company called Simpli Safe, they are kind of new. No contracts, nice equipment and Dave Ramsey endorses them. I just ordered a set up of theirs. Pm if you want to know more.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Look into a company called Simpli Safe, they are kind of new. No contracts, nice equipment and Dave Ramsey endorses them. I just ordered a set up of theirs. Pm if you want to know more.

Looks like a nicely updated X10 type of system. I had an X10 years ago. Worked great for about 2 years before the base station died. I think it was about $140 delivered for 2 motion, 10 sensors and some remotes. Used a landline to make calls though, it was programmable for up to 5 numbers which was pretty cool.

Even if it's not going to be monitored, peopel should have something incase they are dead asleep when trouble comes knocking.

Between the alarm, my wife and I being light sleepers and having 100+ pound Rottweiler roaming around, I don't think Houdini could get into our place without alerting one of us.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    The fire monitoring is where you save big on your homeowners. I didn't pay anything for installation as the alarm was already installed when I purchased my home, but I did pay to upgrade the base station and for installation of the cell unit. Last year, the wife burned some french toast and set off the fire alarm, when they called my cell, I couldn't get to it in time, so they called the fire dept. They were out front within 4 minutes of when the alarm went off. Makes me feel better whenever I'm away from the house.

CombatRex

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    NE side of Indy
    You might also get yourself a "Fur Hollowpoint"......ie Dog. Mine alerted me a couple times and ran people off just by barking. They are an excellent accompaniment to an Alarm.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have a system monitored by Guardian. Cost nothing to install and $30/mo to monitor. My whole house is covered by motion detectors and there are monitors on all doors (includng the overhead on my garage) plus a fire monitor and key fob. I say=ve more on my homeowners than it costs me to pay the monitoring fees. I have had it updated this year with a new panel and new motion detectors that use one vs three expensive batteries. I also installed my own cameras that work on a dedicated DVR system plus they have little cards in them that loop record two hours so if someone takes the DVR I can still have their image on the card in the cameras. The cameras and DVR I did myself and they were a little pricy but it did catch some vandals last year that had been plaguing me and the guy whole stole my grill even if I didn't get the grill back. He apparently sold it before the police arrested him and you don't get much for a used gas grill in court. :(

Oh, and there is a dog too of course.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    What's good is the alarm companies are when disaster strikes. They all have to prepare and protect themselves instead of protecting you and your properties. Depending on what kind of disaster we have, if roads are damaged, then we are on our own. The alarm we have in our houses would just be an annoying blasting noise.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I recently installed a SimpliSafe system at my residence (new construction ~1800 square ft ranch style)

A 10 year old could install one of their systems. All components give you the option to either install with the 3M removable strips or with screws. I opted to screw in the motion and smoke sensors and use the 3M strips for entry sensors on doors and windows. All components are wireless which is a nice feature and all components come pre registered with the key station and base station so you install the system and turn it on and it's ready to go after filling out your demographic information on their website. The sensors (entry, motion, etc) use CR123 batteries for a marketed 5 year battery life. The keypad and extra siren use standard AA batteries for a 1 year rated battery life.

The base station is the only component that requires being plugged into power but also includes rechargeable batteries for for 4-5 day back up in the event of a power failure. The base station also houses all the brains of the system so if someone were to enter your residence and smash the keypad the system would still function normally.

The system contacts the monitoring center via a built in cellular connection. There is no extra charge for this cellular connection.

I opted for the standard monitoring package at $15/month as I don't really see being able to access my system via my phone as being all that necessary. For $25 you get the ability to control your system via smart phone as well as being given the option to adjust some parameters with the sensors. I think 99% of people would do just fine with the default settings.

At any point in time you can purchase more sensors and register them via serial numbers via the keypad. I think the system supports up to 50 or 60 sensors total (way more then most people would need).

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    New Palestine, IN
    Get a Dog!

They bark, they hear things you can't, they eat those pesky pieces of gristle you don't like on your steaks, they are man's best friend, and with proper training will ALWAYS be more scary than some pesky siren going off. They will also be at your home before the cops decide to show up 10 minutes after the alarm goes off and all your crap is gone. Nothing beats a Doberman, Pit, or Shepherd alarm system. I challenge ADT to provide better service.

There's a reason the Nazis were so fond of them....

Morkal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    ny
    I think alarm monitoring is better if you have enough saving to pay.Because you can get the alert when some one is there in your premises.And also security monitoring companies have the mobile security staff to take quick action if necessary.

Top Bottom