• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Hey guys, I'm pretty new to posting in the SHTF forum, but not to INGO. I know I don't have the rep that alot probably have here in the forum, but I think this would be a pretty good thread for people to learn about what foods to focus on, namely me :):. I was thinking that everyone could post the one thing they always make sure to buy or keep around (food wise), and why they do?

For example im just now starting to prep and I think Hormel Chili, or equivalent, would be a great food to have stocked. Canned foods last indefinitely because they are not exposed to the elements, and while might not taste good after the expiration, will still be eatable. Also, 1 can has a decent amount of fat in it, which most people forget they actually need, along with almost 16 grams of protein, which is highly needed in SHTF situations. While it is high in sodium, i would be ok with that because it would help retain water to not dehydrate so quick.

So that is my thought on one food that I will want to keep a stock of. Of course, it will not be my only one, but sort of a focus food.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    My favorite SHTF food is tuna/salmon in the foil packs. These are essentially MRE's, having about a three year expiration date. They are light, filled with yummy protein, and very juicy. Plus, the bags probably would be good to use to drink out of or might even work to boil water. But the main thing is that they are light, and very flat, so they store well in the pocket of a backpack.

Last edited:

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Peanut Butter. Couple year shelf life, good fat/protein ratio and a jar stretchs pretty well if you need it to. Plus we eat enough around here to just rotate through use, just make sure the new one's hit the back of the line.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Rice, whole oats, sugar, honey, salt. Can buy them all in bulk and they virtually never go bad if stored properly.

Everything else has less shelf life and will need to be rotated through accordingly at some point. I've heard mixed things on canned goods shelf lives, so I'm not sure what to believe in that regard. :dunno:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    ONE thing? I don't think I can narrow down that far. Canned fruits and veggies, canned soups, salt, sugar, flour, noodles/pasta, and some other stuff I'm forgetting.

And Pop-tarts!

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Tough one. Ramen comes to mind. Canned fruits break up the texture and saltiness of most preps or a flat bread we make that similiar to hard tack

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Not just one.. Things not already purchased as long term storage (freeze dried or dehydrated stuff) such as rice, beans, peanut butter, honey, oats, dry soup, ramen noodles, canned meat, canned fruit, canned veggies, etc. Stock them all, and don't forget sugar, flour, salt, pepper, and other spices. Also consider coffee, tea and other dry beverage mixes such as gatorade or simple Koolaid.

TJ

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Everyone keeps listing peanut butter. Having just bought a house my wife and I can finally do some actual food prep storage. What is the "shelf life" of peanut butter? I always just assumed it is good according to its posted date. Now that I think about it, I do use quite a bit of it so it may not be a bad idea to stock some if it lasts. :dunno:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Matzah and honey. Shelf life of 1,000 years. You can buy a case of Matzah after Passover for $10 and you will never go hungry.

Throw in some sealed oats and peanut butter and you can and infinite food supply.

Water is the bigger problem.

Top Bottom