• ...and so much more!
  • EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    Hi All,
    Can you please give me some recommendations for food storage containers? Specifically I'm looking for larger containers to hold dry ingredients like flour, sugar, and cornmeal.

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    The big food grade containers that stuff like icing comes in
    You can find them at places that deal with that a lot and have to dispose of them. Then if you want you can buy the vacuum seal lids to put on them. Might get the containers for free or maybe like a set for $5.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    The last batch of buckets I got had icing in them. I haven't popped open a mylar bag to make sure that my stuff doesn't smell like a birthday cake, but I hope it doesn't.

I even have some totes that I store one gallon mylar bags in. They fit nicely and protect the bags pretty will. They also store easily.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I have used a solution of baking soda and bleach to get the smell and possible taste out of used food grade buckets.

Trick is to use hot water and let the solution sit in the bucket until it is almost cool then rinse three to four times.

TJ

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Mylar bags are my favorite overall choice for long-term food storage of bulk stuff, with the bags packed in either buckets or totes like the others have said. One thing to watch for is that some foods, like salt and sugar shouldn't be packed with O2 absorbers as it will end up one big hard chunk. Check Youtube for many many options on this.

Whenever you can do it, glass is still the best choice for long-term storage of food. We've packed salt, sugar, flour, and cornmeal in half-gallon canning jars with good results. Stuff like baking powder, cocoa, and spices; things that you use in small amounts we pack in pint and half-pint jars. We always warm the jars before we pack them which helps to keep moisture to a minimum.

I decided to buy new food grade buckets for my storage. It didn't make sense to skimp on the containers when I want to know the stuff that might have been stored for some years to be in good shape and palatable when and if we need it. There is a place just northwest of downtown called Indiana Naval Stores where I bought them. They also have new metal and plastic drums of all sizes with different lid options. I wanted a 55 gallon drum to keep in my barn for kerosene storage and they fixed me right up.

Top Bottom