• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    About a month ago I sent the same email to 7 or 8 gasoline manufacturers and a couple car companies, Chevron was the only one that responded:

Subject: Fuels – Technical Questions

I can't seem to find a trustworthy, definitive answer to a few questions- could you please help?

-Does gasoline really "spoil" after a month? Can it be "revived" by any type of fuel additive?

-Which brand of fuel stabilizer (if ANY) will TRULY extend the useful storage life of typical consumer gasoline?

-Does "premium" gasoline have a longer storage life than "regular"?

-What are the ideal storage conditions for gasoline?

I would really appreciate some knowledgeable answers, Thanks!

The answer Chevron sent me:

Thank you for the inquiry, and apologies for the delay in getting a response sent out to you. We are currently working through a back log of e-mails.

Chevron fuels (conventional gasoline, E-10 gasoline blends, and diesel fuels) have a shelf life of 1 year in a proper storage container without the need of a fuel stabilizer. A proper storage container include gas cans, and a vehicle's fuel tank (containers rated to carry gasoline or diesel). Shelf life can vary slightly depending on where you store the fuel. For best results we recommend that you store the fuel cool, dark, and dry area avoiding large fluctuations in temperature.

Storing the fuel in direct sunlight will increase the temperature variations, and can significantly shorten the shelf life of gasolines through the loss of the lighter gasoline components. Aftermarket gasoline stabilizers can prolong the life of a fuel, but we do not have any data on the effectiveness of those products, and cannot make a recommendation. Chevron does not market a gasoline stabilizer.

All grades of Chevron gasolines will have the same shelf life.

For additional information on Gasoline Storage please see the links below addressing this issue.

Car Care FAQs
    Car Care FAQs

Chevron's Motor Gasolines Technical Review

http://www.chevronwithtechron.com/products/documents/69083_MotorGas_Tech_Review.pdf

Last edited:

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    This has not been my experience, unless Chevron sells a higher quality fuel than other companies, which I doubt. I have been able to start my mower after 5-6 months or so of storage, (barely) but it ALWAYS runs better after I get tired of it coughing and sputtering and put fresh gas in it.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Nice to hear that, but when I was younger I worked in the lawn equipment repair business and people leaving mixed or straight gas in their equipment over the 'off season' was a big part of our companies repair business. Rotten gas REALLY stinks plugs small engine carbs up thoroughly.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    That's cool. I try to keep fresh gas around. Especially in vehicles.

I've emailed Shell about the E-15 the .gov is pushing down our throats. It took them a while to reply but they said they DO NOT support E-15 and the EPA didn't do enough testing with it. :twocents:

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    I'm a little skeptical of the info too- I was hoping several different companies would respond and I could filter-out the truth from all the answers. But Chevron was the only company that answered- Ford just keeps emailing me sales crapola- none of the other major companies even responded.:dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This has not been my experience, unless Chevron sells a higher quality fuel than other companies, which I doubt. I have been able to start my mower after 5-6 months or so of storage, (barely) but it ALWAYS runs better after I get tired of it coughing and sputtering and put fresh gas in it.

The tank on the mower is not a long term storage container. It was designed for continuous replenish. Top off the tank and do the sta-bil routine. It will run better. Mine does.

We use the 5 gallon plastic jugs used in racing circles. We replace the cap gasket with an "O" ring and work on the lip of the snout. Properly sealed/treated and stored you can get almost 2 years this way.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

That is because the gas tank on a mower is not a proper storage tank and allows for evaporation and for moisture to be absorbed by the ethanol in the gasoline. Either completely drain mower at end of the season or add fuel stabilizer to the fuel and run it for a minute to make sure it is through all the working parts. Also, buy non ethanol gas for small motors if you can find it in your area.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I'm a little skeptical of the info too- I was hoping several different companies would respond and I could filter-out the truth from all the answers. But Chevron was the only company that answered- Ford just keeps emailing me sales crapola- none of the other major companies even responded. :dunno:
    Send that s**t to the Spam folder. :laugh:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is because the gas tank on a mower is not a proper storage tank and allows for evaporation and for moisture to be absorbed by the ethanol in the gasoline. Either completely drain mower at end of the season or add fuel stabilizer to the fuel and run it for a minute to make sure it is through all the working parts. Also, buy non ethanol gas for small motors if you can find it in your area.

What the hell BK....you too....badged up and ready to party??

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Yup, I realize the mower isn't a "proper" storage container, and that very well could make the difference. If ONLY I could find ethanol free fuel in my area. The only thing I've seen are those little red quart bottles of mix gas for 8 bucks. About 5 years ago I drained some 20-30 gallons from the bottom of a 500 gallon storage tank that my grandfather had last filled in the mid 90s. I ran the fuel through the mower and it gulped it down like it was new. Oh the good ol days.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    When we were racing the fuel came in good 55 Gallon drums that sealed easily. Once the air was in the drum and temp changes occurred (summer time) You had to use the gas up quickly so it stayed fresh. This was 113 Oct. leaded racing fuel.

If we split it up in the sealed 5 gallon containers it stayed good for a very long time. Air (moisture) and temp are the big issues.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Yup, I realize the mower isn't a "proper" storage container, and that very well could make the difference. If ONLY I could find ethanol free fuel in my area. The only thing I've seen are those little red quart bottles of mix gas for 8 bucks. About 5 years ago I drained some 20-30 gallons from the bottom of a 500 gallon storage tank that my grandfather had last filled in the mid 90s. I ran the fuel through the mower and it gulped it down like it was new. Oh the good ol days.

Do you have a marina close to you?

We have one station in Evansville that still sells it. Don't know about our local marina.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

As noted on the following website, CountryMark (Farm Bureau Co-Op) has a 91+ (sometimes 90+) that is 100% pure Indiana gasoline. The crude comes from the Illinois basin which is primarily in SW Indiana and SE Illinois. The refinery is in Mt Vernon IN. Buying the 91 Plus gets you excellent quality, ethanol-free gasoline and you support Hoosier workers and IN/IL familes that own the oil wells....
    Pure-gas.org

they list all ethanol free gas stations nationwide.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Good on the marina tip. I remember we occasionally filled.our.boat up at marinas and they have ethanol free fuel.. it was crazy expensive though

Top Bottom