• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    I hear the Mormons run their own canneries and they are great places to stock-up on food! Can anybody buy food at these canneries? Where is the nearest one? Anybody have any experience with this?:patriot:

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I think this is the one I've been to, google wasn't very helpful on this search today.

Very nice people, very helpful. I was looking for someplace to purchase whole wheat berries to grind for bread and couldn't find anywhere that didn't require me to buy in bulk. These guys had it and would let me come in and purchase what I wanted.

5151 West 84th Street, INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA 46268-1513 UNITED STATES
    +1 317-872-1755

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    I think this is the one I've been to, google wasn't very helpful on this search today.

Very nice people, very helpful. I was looking for someplace to purchase whole wheat berries to grind for bread and couldn't find anywhere that didn't require me to buy in bulk. These guys had it and would let me come in and purchase what I wanted.

5151 West 84th Street, INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA 46268-1513 UNITED STATES
    +1 317-872-1755

Thanks for the info! - I think I found it on Bing Maps- I will call them tommorow and see what they say!

Attachments

• LDS Cannery.JPG
      LDS Cannery.JPG
      268.7 KB · Views: 57
    Last edited:

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Bought lots of supplies from these good folk. Anyone can buy there and they are generally under market except for some items you can buy somewhat cheaper at Costco (Rice). Even considered converting! But no. But they really believe in being prepared for catastrophe. Ask for a tour of the facility if they aren't overwhelmed, very impressive.

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    Bought lots of supplies from these good folk. Anyone can buy there and they are generally under market except for some items you can buy somewhat cheaper at Costco (Rice). Even considered converting! But no. But they really believe in being prepared for catastrophe. Ask for a tour of the facility if they aren't overwhelmed, very impressive.

You have bought at this particular Indy facility? Do they have a website with a "menu" and prices?

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    No, they are not really trying to publicize this place but they are happy to provide what you need. Your first visit they give you the price list and show you around and are very cordial but you pretty much have to go there.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    They are open Tuesday and Saturday from 10-1. I always pay in cash but I think cards are welcome too but take cash just in case. You can find the pricing online at the LDS site or just search for LDS storehouse. They DO NOT can there anymore. You can purchase in bulk or in #10 cans. Individual cans of beans, oats, flour, sugar, quick oats, wheat, and rice so you can mix and match as you wish or you can purchase full cases of 6/#10 cans. They also have cocoa mix and orange drink mix, potato pearls, potato flakes, and pancake mix. I cannot find my most recent receipt but pricing is very reasonable for 30 year dry storage staples.

There will be more canned items in the future like pasta, carrots, onions, and apple slices but they are stocked in LARGE boxes or bags for you to do yourself. You can buy o2 absorbers and mylar bags too.

I am not LDS but I have been there many times and the ladies are so nice and very helpful. They will walk you through the process and help out in the back with you. I have never felt uncomfy and neither should you. They want nothing more than you and your family to be prepared. Every time I go I think I will be in and out but I end up talking about canning and food storage forever. They know their stuff so ask them questions.

If you go, let them know you have never been and they will help. You need to sign in and just leave the "ward" and "stake" area blank on the form and they will realize you are not LDS. They are there to provide a service to their community and you are a guest so please be kind and they will continue to provide the service to the rest of us.

I think it is 84th street. Just past the post office, all the way to the end of the road and it looks like you will run into a semi parking lot. Turn right and enter by the gate. Never have they tried to convert and they have never even mentioned their faith. They provide such a wonderful service and we are fortunate to have it so close in Indy. PM me if you have any questions.

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    I called the local LDS phone # in Indy and left a message about buying canned goods. I recieved a message back from Bishop Gary Bishoff of the White River First Ward telling me the cannery and it's products are ONLY for LDS Church members. He said they do not even have a cash register at the warehouse and the only way to recieve food is to contact your local bishop and ask him to put in a food order for you as a church member.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I called the local LDS phone # in Indy and left a message about buying canned goods. I recieved a message back from Bishop Gary Bishoff of the White River First Ward telling me the cannery and it's products are ONLY for LDS Church members. He said they do not even have a cash register at the warehouse and the only way to recieve food is to contact your local bishop and ask him to put in a food order for you as a church member.

There was a misunderstanding I'm sure... 99% of phone calls to a bishop about food and the cannery relate to food and other household goods for the church's welfare program (which takes up probably 80% of the space at the storehouse)...

...and then there are canned goods for food storage.

When you call the storehouse (and do call the storehouse) make sure you ask about purchasing "food storage" items.

A "food order" the bishop referred to is list of food items for a needy individual/family that is sent to the storehouse. The order is then picked, packed, and delivered to LDS churches in a 100 mile radius around Indianapolis, where they can picked up by the person or delivered by a volunteer from the local congregation.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    --There was a misunderstanding I'm sure... 99% of phone calls to a bishop about food and the cannery relate to food and other household goods for the church's welfare program (which takes up probably 80% of the space at the storehouse)...

When you call the storehouse (and do call the storehouse) make sure you ask about purchasing "food storage" items.

A "food order" the bishop referred to is list of food items for a needy individual/family that is sent to the storehouse. The order is then picked, packed, and delivered to LDS churches in a 100 mile radius around Indianapolis, where they can picked up by the person or delivered by a volunteer from the local congregation.--

THIS^^^^^ Walk in the door and go to the right. To the left is the "mini grocery store" for those in need and it is only for LDS. Tuesday and Saturday from 10-1 they are open for business to the public. The order form is a good guide for what is available but the Indy cannery does not have all the listed items so I just grab a form there and fill it out as I load up the cart. Show up between 10-1, ask questions, and they will welcome you back every time. Great service from great folks.

NightOwl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    North of the Corn!
    --There was a misunderstanding I'm sure... 99% of phone calls to a bishop about food and the cannery relate to food and other household goods for the church's welfare program (which takes up probably 80% of the space at the storehouse)...

A "food order" the bishop referred to is list of food items for a needy individual/family that is sent to the storehouse. The order is then picked, packed, and delivered to LDS churches in a 100 mile radius around Indianapolis, where they can picked up by the person or delivered by a volunteer from the local congregation.--

THIS^^^^^ Walk in the door and go to the right. To the left is the "mini grocery store" for those in need and it is only for LDS. Tuesday and Saturday from 10-1 they are open for business to the public. The order form is a good guide for what is available but the Indy cannery does not have all the listed items so I just grab a form there and fill it out as I load up the cart. Show up between 10-1, ask questions, and they will welcome you back every time. Great service from great folks.

That's great news!- I just want to be sure because it is a 3 hour drive for me to get to Indy!;)

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    See the link in post #14 or here is the direct link...

http://providentliving.org/bc/conte...ge-center-order-form-usa-english.pdf?lang=eng

Cost? In the link see "Prepackaged Items" for things that are already in #10 cans. Put it this way, I don't think they are making any money, but they probably break even (pay the people who can the stuff). I've not been there in a while for bulk items (5 years ago maybe), and I'm not sure if they even have the bulk items anymore, but I do know they don't let anyone do bulk canning or packaging at the storehouse anymore. I did all my canning at home that trip.

Top Bottom